Broke my foot playing this game!

Mapmakermaster

Thought I'd share this.

I broke my foot playing Kinect Adventures in December 2010. It was only my second day of owning the Kinect sensor.

Me and a buddy of mine were competing for the highest score on the last/hardest level of Reflex Ridge. As you may already know, Reflex Ridge requires players to jump over, duck under and dodge various obstacles. Jumping up and down also helps you gain speed for a nice time bonus at the end.

So we were competing for about an hour. You know how the Xbox will show a message recommending that you take a rest? Yeah, I totally ignored that. My friend had me beat.. His score was really high. But I kept trying anyway.

Reflex Ridge has padded obstacles positioned on the left and right sides of the screen, requiring you to jump quickly from one side of the screen to the other to avoid. Well, after an hour of doing this, my right foot gave in. As I landed from a jump, there was a very loud CRACK sound followed by a sharp pain that surged throughout my foot. I tumbled over, holding my ankle in agony, unsure of the damage. My friend (who doesn't hold well under stressful situations) began to panic and was afraid to look at me. You see, the CRACK sound was so loud, he assumed it was a compound fracture and was afraid he would turn and see my leg hanging off or something.

After a little excessive cursing on my part, I reassured my friend that it wasn't a compound fracture, but that I needed him to get me an ice pack from the freezer. Kinect Adventures paused itself when I fell out of the camera's view. After a couple of minutes with a half-opened bag of peas around my bare foot, I tried to wiggle my toes. It was painful, but the foot itself looked fine. I stood up, un-paused Kinect Adventures and finished the level.

I woke up in the middle of the night in agonizing pain! Something was wrong. The next morning, I drove my car to the hospital. Using the break was a bitch!

The X-Rays came through and the doctor told me I had multiple hairline fractures across my fifth metatarsal bone (little toe base bone). I was shocked! They slapped my foot in a cast, gave me a pair of crutches and sent me on my way. My friend came to the hospital with me, so he was able to drive me back.

My girlfriend at the time called me a jackass, and rightfully so. It snowed that year making it nearly impossible to leave the house.

Just in-case you were wondering, I weighed about 160 pounds at the time.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...