Dr. Who

juannyG

Can I first off state I'm a die-hard Sci-fi fan, but have as of yet not seen Dr.Who; be it the original or the new BBC one. From what I seen of the old one, it seemed like the Twilight Zone/Outer Limits, with mix of an overlaying plot. It just seemed the episodes I did see of it (the old one) he was in a different dimension, world, reality, or whatever, in every episode. So naturally I found it hard to follow just jumping in the middle of it. That said does anyone strongly recommend I go watch the new one now? I mean can anyone give me an idea of what the series is about?

• 2 months later...

I only started watching the 2005 season a couple of weeks ago...must say that I didn't like the first few episodes, but now (I am about half-way in), I am finding that it is becoming better (characters bit more developed, episodes more interesting, more background on the Doctor).

It still has some of the cheesy-ish aspects to it (i.e. the double episode about Aliens in London -- the aliens looked like from a few decades ago :-) ), but that added to the feel and the Brit humour...all in all, I will finish the season and give the next one a try. From what I've heard Eccleston and Piper do make a good team...

Can I first off state I'm a die-hard Sci-fi fan, but have as of yet not seen Dr.Who; be it the original or the new BBC one. From what I seen of the old one, it seemed like the Twilight Zone/Outer Limits, with mix of an overlaying plot. It just seemed the episodes I did see of it (the old one) he was in a different dimension, world, reality, or whatever, in every episode. So naturally I found it hard to follow just jumping in the middle of it. That said does anyone strongly recommend I go watch the new one now? I mean can anyone give me an idea of what the series is about?

If you're going to try the new series, either start with the Eccleston season 1, or you might try starting with Matt Smith's debut in season 5. I wouldn't recommend trying to pick up the series with the current episodes, since they're in a pretty complicated plot with threads going back throughout Smith's run in the role. But I would recommend that you give this show a try. It is pretty awesome.

I really like all three of them. I think Chris would have got more recognition if he had done another season or two, David was just Immense and Matt has done a fantastic job so far, not forgetting he had to live up to the high expectations David left after 3 series with the show, and now whenever someone mentions Doctor Who they know Matt is the Doctor, rather than living in the shadow of David.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a HUGE dr. who fan going back to the days when I would tape (VHS on a top down loader) it every weekend when it was on PBS

Favorite

Doctor #3 Jon Pertwee - Ah the good old day of U.N.I.T. and stunts by HAVOK

I do have to say the David Tennant is a very close #2. The biggest problem I have is the rapid, highly accented English he speaks. It can make it difficult to understand.

And third best would have to be Tom Baker.

The worst.... Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2)

As for the best companions:

#1 Martha Jones

#2 Sarah Jane Smith

#3 Romanadvoratrelundar II (Lalla ward)

Worst

#1 - Catherine Tate

#2 - Adric (from Doctors 4&5)

#3 - Tegan (Doctor 5)

I've always wanted to get into Dr. Who. I have no idea where to start, the franchise is incredibly vast. I've read a lot of Dr. Who comics, really liked them. And, I've heard the recent episodes have nothing on the classic Who series'. I wish I could find a massive box set...

They "reboot" the series starting with Doctor #9 Chris Eccleston. The first episode "Rose" really sets the tone for his series. If you are going to start new, that would be a good place to start.

They started to bring some elements back but in different forms (The midget sontarans, rainbow Daleks, tellytubby master) just to name a few.

It the Original Series there are 159 Stories, that range from 2 to 12. Each one about 25 minutes.

With the addition of the relaunch it is now over 200 stories.

Tom Baker's first season is basically one long arc and is considered the best of the classic series. It also contains the big three villains. If you don't like that, then don't bother to watch the older stuff.

Matt Smith....I thought it was impossible to beat David Tennant but he does!!

I always said tennant would never be beaten. and was so sad when he went and he went in style was so good his last episodes. BUT smith has beaten him i think its because russel t daviess was shit at writing and the new cast/story is fantasic

• 2 weeks later...

I have to start by saying I'm SO excited about this thread! (as you will notice by the length of this post).

Next, I will say... *SPOILERS* ;-)

I struggle between Tennant and Smith (I only started with the new seasons). I know it's not Eccelson, though he wasn't BAD.

Not only are they different actors, but Eleven is so different from Ten. Eleven has been through so much more (clearly... I mean, he's older). I find it hard to compare them, really. I think a lot of it comes down to the companions and how they shape and compliment the Doctor...

Rose was great. She and the Doctor really brought out the best in each other. She really subdued the Doctor's anger when he needed someone to. Poor Martha Jones had to deal with a grieving Doctor, who was oblivious to her feelings... I think he taught her what she's really worth and she showed him more about humanity. I think Donna was very tragic. Poor Donna, who was 'just a temp' became so strong... So much better. Then, not only did she have to return to her normal life, but she wasn't allowed to remember everything she saw and became when she was with the Doctor. We then got a brand new companion at the same time as a new Doctor. I love Amy. I'll admit that I started watching the show because I saw the promo pictures with Karen Gillan and was like omg, she's gorgeous... I must watch this show! Amy intrigued the Doctor and he couldn't help but take her along, selfishly. Eleven is a little more selfish than Ten that way, but I still love him.

When it comes down to it, he's still The Doctor, no matter what face he takes. A lot of it also comes down to the writing. I'm not sure how I want to end this, so I will just say that I love Ten, but I will most definitely be sad to see Eleven go, when he does.