Where on earth does our Xbox live money go?

Akuza

So after The recent announcement of MORE adverts on the dashboard (click here for article)

I was wondering, what on earth we are paying for now...besides online play, like what is left?

I know at one point they said that our money went to inside Xbox, but obviously that's been and gone.

Then they said its to keep our updates coming, well no not at all, because whether your silver or gold, you still get updates...

Also since these updates our xbox's have just gotten slower and slower...

So is it literally just online gaming we pay for now? Because its sure not ad free online gaming either....

What's your opinions guys and girls?

((not looking for "ZMONG XBIX LOVE SHUD BE FRE" gonna say that go elsewhere this is not my aim :p))

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to say into development and research towards the 8th generation consoles.

The real answers is probably crappy Microsoft products like the new tablet and magic keyboards covers.

Well, the next Xbox IS in production right now. I just HOPE they are spending money on development.

My answer: Probably into the uppermost's pockets for the most part.

Most people pay for cable. All cable has ads.

I don't see the problem here?

I pay for gold because I want to play games and use Netflix. I don't care about anything else. I have DirecTV if I want to watch a show, and I can buy or rent a movie if I want to watch it. I don't have a problem with ads on the dashboard which aren't intrusive and don't hurt the "experience" at all... and this article isn't talking about those ads anyway, which are the ads that most people complain about.

So in short... I don't care.

EDIT: And yes... it is ad-free online gaming. I don't know what you're talking about. I've never seen an ad while playing Battlefield or Call of Duty... nor Halo or Castle Crashers. Never seen an ad while playing Uno either.

The money probably goes to line Bill Gates' pockets! IDK!

I have never understood all those that complain about the ads on Xbox Live. Lots of us pay for Cable/Satellite subscriptions and they have commercials, buy a newspaper they have ads, go to a sports ground there's ads but none of us complain about any of those ads.

MS is a business like any other and need to make money so why shouldn't there be a few unobtrusive ads on the dashboard. Some of them have been quite funny and some of them have even had some fun little games on them.

As for where the money goes mainly in to security and providing a great service with great online servers.

MS have even been known to take some of that money and get us some extra DLC for games where there originally none planned. Case in point Tomb Raider: Underworld proved so popular on 360 that a surprised MS took millions of our subscription money and paid Crystal Dynamics to make 2 extra levels and the extra DLC for the game. That is why it didn't appear on PS3.

I don't care where MS gets it's money from. At least they are not broke like Sony.

I pay for gold because I want to play games and use Netflix. I don't care about anything else. I have DirecTV if I want to watch a show, and I can buy or rent a movie if I want to watch it. I don't have a problem with ads on the dashboard which aren't intrusive and don't hurt the "experience" at all... and this article isn't talking about those ads anyway, which are the ads that most people complain about.

EDIT: And yes... it is ad-free online gaming. I don't know what you're talking about. I've never seen an ad while playing Battlefield or Call of Duty... nor Halo or Castle Crashers. Never seen an ad while playing Uno either.

I'm gathering you haven't been to the dashboard in a while then? :p

I'm mainly curious, as it seems as though it we are paying simply for more ads :confused:

I see what you mean by "they arent in the games" But there's still quite a few hanging around generally, the console has a slow down which is caused by these ads though, which is hurting the experience, surely you have experienced the recent slow down with the dashboard?

I'm just simply curious is all, as you can get what is basically the same experience, except without party chat, on playstation 3... For free..

So where does our money go? Because it doesn't seem to me like it's on dashboard development either, as that's just getting slower and slower by the day...

We're paying for the better Service and Updates. Want to know what a free service feels like with no updates and improvements..? Go try PSN Home and/or PSN or whatever the Wii/WiiU has.

I have and do play playstation network... No real differences other than party chat...

Surely I'm not the only person who is just a tiny bit curious as to where?

Edited by Akuza

There are constantly new services being added and the dashboard is constantly updating. I uderstand its getting slower but the hardware is not improving at the same rate as the dashboard so its understandable and really does an extra 5-10 second boot time really matter. Also im willing to bet all of the exclusive and time exclusive DLC doesnt come cheap and we dont complain about that.

I would also like to add that I in no way find any of the ads intrusive or obstructive they dont hinder my ability launch my game or app of choice or find and download dlc nor do they effect anyone else. People simply enjoy complaining.

Edited by fallout frank

Trials Evolution OOP DLC: Deodorant in-game ads [Tracks names/Tournament/Achievement name. Burnout Paradise runs ads on their in-game billboards. In-game advertising pretty big if you look around. I'm sure there's others but that's all I can think of atm.

I don't know to be honest, but after these next two months of my Live are up I don't think I'm going to be buying anymore Gold for a while. The only thing I've really used it for in the last couple of months is the deals etc for Gold members, not really played online for ages and we have other TV's around the house with Sky boxes so rarely go on that.

Trials Evolution OOP DLC: Deodorant in-game ads [Tracks names/Tournament/Achievement name. Burnout Paradise runs ads on their in-game billboards. In-game advertising pretty big if you look around. I'm sure there's others but that's all I can think of atm.

I remember GRAW having those in game billboards as well. Plus Madden now has ads during the loading screens IIRC.

They can ad the crap out of the dashboard for all I care..hopefully some of that money goes to maintaining the online aspect of the console, as well as maintaining and adding to the number of available apps, for people who are into that. As long as I don't get big pop-up advertisements while I'm actually in a game, I don't care too much (though inadvertently tabbing over an ad with high volume always scares the crap out of me).

And as a side note since it was brought up, I'd be fine with advertisements on billboards in-games. I've seen it done before and I find it rather amusing tbh..

Can't say the ads ever bothered me. I'm never on the dashboard for more than like 20 seconds anyway and it's not like I ever click on them. It's just another tile next to the one I want.

I made the mistake of accidentally scrolling over the LoveFILM ad on the dashboard the other day, man was that thing obnoxiously loud.

I still don't care though, put game in and press play. Done.

This and this.

It's not like the ads are pop-ups that block half of your screen when you play FIFA or play an annoying song in the background when your sneaking up on an enemy.

If I'm honest I really wouldn't mind a short 20-30 second clip when I'm booting up a game, instead of a black screen or worse yet some legal messages and a logo of a game that I'm already playing.