Joe's Blog or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Terrible Gamertag

TehJofus

Hi! Thought I'd give this a go. Never blogged on a forum before.

Blog Posts

1. Joe's Addiction; Music and Rhythm Games
  2. Life is Strange: Telltale just got out-Telltaled

Gameplay Videos

1. Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 5: The Vault of the Traveler

Introduction

My name's Joe and I'm 24 years old. I live in Liverpool, England, home of the absolute worst accent to ever develop in the human race. I have an undergraduate degree and a master's degree, so you're right in assuming that I'm currently unemployed.

I'm still obsessed with the TV show 'Lost', despite it finishing years ago. That may not seem relevant, but trust me, it is. We have to go back.

Actually, Lost: Via Domus was my first full 1000G in a game, so there we go! Relevance. Amazing game, by the way. Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate.

If you want to add me on Xbox Live, feel free! My gamertag is 'TehJofus', hence the title (I do know you can change it, but I'm cheap. I'm not paying £6 just to get rid of 'teh'). I've already added a few people from this site, since I have a weird obsession with the 'Compare Games' section on Xbox consoles.

I apologise for the Taylor Swift reference.

Edited by TehJofus

Wow, finally a Scouser thst admits it!

Maybe we can get on after all despite the cities rivalry!

Anyone who says otherwise is clearly in denial. I got lucky and don't have much of an accent, thank god.

I still have my copy of Lost, unplayed and still sealed laying around here somewhere.. :o

Best game you'll ever play, trust me. Don't trust hundreds of reviews.

Easily the best title on the forums. What's your masters degree in, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks! And it's in screenwriting.

Time for a blog post!

Joe's Addiction; Music and Rhythm Games

I was wondering earlier today what my first blog post on here was going to be about. I had no idea...and then I ended up preordering Guitar Hero Live, so that settled that.

Despite the amount of time I've spent on music games, I've never really been very good. I rarely play past Medium difficulty on guitar and bass, and I was always stuck on easy with drums and keyboard. Vocals is a mixed bag. Some songs I can get 100% on expert (pah-pah-pah-poker face), others I completely fail (mamaaaaaaaaa, just killed a maaaaaaaaan).

In any other genre, I probably would have given up by now. But music games...they're all just damn fun. I don't think there's any other genre of game I've played where I've enjoyed every single game. Here's a rundown of which I actually have, with my gamerscore in each;

• Band Hero - 945/1000
  • Boom Boom Rocket - 60/200
  • Def Jam: Rapstar - 90/1000
  • DJ Hero - 685/1000
  • DJ Hero 2 - 156/1000
  • Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 310/1000
  • Guitar Hero: World Tour - 560/1000
  • Lego Rock Band - 740/1000
  • Lips - 1375/1750
  • Rock Band - 270/1000
  • Rock Band 3 - 580/1250
  • The Beatles: Rock Band - 370/1000

See? When it's not a child friendly game, I don't do well enough in-game to unlock many achievements. I can't help but love the games, though.

I think that's partially why I'm writing this. I can't actually remember the last time I preordered an Xbox game. I can't remember the last time I was legitimately excited for a game to come out so I could start playing it.

Guitar Hero Live has got me all giddy again. It got me to load up Rock Band 3, Lips, DJ Hero 2, and Def Jam Rapstar for the first time in about 2 or 3 years. It's not often that I can start up a game, completely ignore the achievements and just focus on the fun. Music games let me do that.

Oh, and for anyone wondering what my first music game was? This piece of genius.

Haha, I used to be hardcore Expert in all the GH games, but on PlayStation :( It's impossible to dedicate that much time to any rhythm game again. They just seem to demand nothing less than your soul.

I couldn't even imagine the amount of time it would take to master Expert in Guitar Hero. Just thinking about it makes me age a few years.

I couldn't even imagine the amount of time it would take to master Expert in Guitar Hero. Just thinking about it makes me age a few years.

It was before I owned an Xbox and was in the first house of my own from moving out of my parents' with a group of guys. We would get baked, play GH all day, and enjoy life lol. Good ol' bachelor times.

My adjacent room mate and I shared a sun room (a narrow, fully windowed room that joined our bedrooms), so we squeezed in a couch and a PS2; we solved arguments in there by duelling Freebird haha. Only way someone won is if the other screwed up one or two notes.

Life is Strange: Telltale just got out-Telltaled

Yes, I realise the end of that title got a little weird. Oh well.

MAJOR LIFE IS STRANGE SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT ON

So, I finished Life is Strange earlier and I have to say, it's probably my new favourite adventure game. The story was fantastic, the music was great, the characters were enthralling, and the choices actually felt like they matter. Right at the end of the game, and this is one of those spoilers I mentioned, you have to choose between saving an entire town full of people or saving your best friend who has stuck by you throughout every hardship in all 5 episodes. She's even died a fair few times, but you've always brought her back. But this time? You can't. Once she's gone, she's gone.

I didn't even need a second to think, I saved her.

And then I felt really guilty. Dontnod did a great job of making the player feel responsible for their choices. I killed all of those people to save that one girl. It wasn't the tornado. It was me.

Ever since Telltale redesigned the way adventures games work, it's seemed like they've completely cornered the market. They did away with collecting strange items and completing difficult puzzles, replacing them with dialogue choices and quick-time events.

And for the most part, it worked. Telltale have been more successful than ever. But, just like David and Goliath, someone comes along to murder them.

Wait.

I'd never even heard of Dontnod before Life is Strange. From what I've read since, they made a somewhat forgettable game on the 360 and that's pretty much it. But now? They're a trusted developer for me. I'm hoping they continue with this genre of game, but even if they don't, I'll give their next game a try.

Welcome to the blogs, Joe! :)

I almost didn't get Life Is Strange because I thought it would just be another spin-off of a Telltale game. But no, it's been amazing and I'm really glad I got it. I haven't finished the final episode yet, but looking forward to it tonight or tomorrow.

I'll also be watching Dontnod for any future projects that they might announce. :)