Joe's Blog or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Terrible Gamertag

TehJofus

I'm still obsessed with the TV show 'Lost', despite it finishing years ago. That may not seem relevant, but trust me, it is. We have to go back.

Actually, Lost: Via Domus was my first full 1000G in a game, so there we go! Relevance. Amazing game, by the way. Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate.

You're not alone in this. I have watched Lost through over 11 times, I know every detail and every theory ever discussed. I own all the DVD's and the box set, along with the Lost Encyclopedia, haha.

Damon Lindelof is a genius at television writing, yet not so good at screenplays.

If you want that hole in your life filled again, I recommend watching HBO's The Leftovers. It's Lindelof's new show and after awhile of struggling with this internal repression, I finally admit that it's better than Lost. Much better.

Life is Strange: Telltale just got out-Telltaled

Yes, I realise the end of that title got a little weird. Oh well.

MAJOR LIFE IS STRANGE SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT ON

So, I finished Life is Strange earlier and I have to say, it's probably my new favourite adventure game. The story was fantastic, the music was great, the characters were enthralling, and the choices actually felt like they matter. Right at the end of the game, and this is one of those spoilers I mentioned, you have to choose between saving an entire town full of people or saving your best friend who has stuck by you throughout every hardship in all 5 episodes. She's even died a fair few times, but you've always brought her back. But this time? You can't. Once she's gone, she's gone.

I didn't even need a second to think, I saved her.

And then I felt really guilty. Dontnod did a great job of making the player feel responsible for their choices. I killed all of those people to save that one girl. It wasn't the tornado. It was me.

Ever since Telltale redesigned the way adventures games work, it's seemed like they've completely cornered the market. They did away with collecting strange items and completing difficult puzzles, replacing them with dialogue choices and quick-time events.

And for the most part, it worked. Telltale have been more successful than ever. But, just like David and Goliath, someone comes along to murder them.

Wait.

I'd never even heard of Dontnod before Life is Strange. From what I've read since, they made a somewhat forgettable game on the 360 and that's pretty much it. But now? They're a trusted developer for me. I'm hoping they continue with this genre of game, but even if they don't, I'll give their next game a try.

I actually really enjoyed Remember Me (Dontnods 360 game that you referenced). The setting was pretty unique (futuristic dystopian France), and the premise was pretty interesting too. It had the same rewind mechanic that Life is Strange became famous for, although it was more about manipulating peoples memories than travelling through time and space. I would definitely recommend it if you enjoyed Life is Strange :o

As far as Life is Strange goes, I really loved that game too after finishing it. It's definitely in my top 5 games of the year so far (maybe top 3). It was nice seeing another developer take that same formula that Telltale created with their modern adventure games (post The Walking Dead) and use it in a way that Telltale hadn't with their games. The writing was excellent (even if a few characters were kinda cliche) and each episode had a really exciting conclusion. Not to mention the soundtrack was really great, so kudos to whoever picked out the music for the game.

Edited by Rapture639

I think I'm the only one that thought Episode 5 was the worst.

I loved the first four, I just felt that episode 5 had an obvious ending (the others didn't), and it went too far with the timehopping (the others didn't).

Great game, just deep down I wish the last episode was slightly different.

So...going to be honest...I feel kind of ashamed for waiting so long to actually play Shadow of Mordor. SUCH A GOOD GAME. I've had it since 2014 and I only really started playing it a few weeks ago. I'd say I'm about halfway through and I'm loving it.

Also, I just avenged a certain Mr Lavindathar in a Vendetta mission. Thanks for the unexpected assist with that achievement :p

So...going to be honest...I feel kind of ashamed for waiting so long to actually play Shadow of Mordor. SUCH A GOOD GAME. I've had it since 2014 and I only really started playing it a few weeks ago. I'd say I'm about halfway through and I'm loving it.

Definitely agreed. SoM was one of my top games of 2014. As a big LotR fan I enjoyed the backstory behind the creation of the rings, and the nemesis system added a lot of depth into the gameplay that wasn't in other games like it. Really hope to see a sequel to this!!

I bought Shadow of Mordor shortly after release as I'd heard nothing but good things about it ... but I've had so many other gamerscore related things distracting me that I have barely touched it. I loaded it up the other day to unlock an achievement for a contest I was in, and I can see how it would be a lot of fun ... just too much going on that I need to score quick points in to focus on playing a longer game (not that SoM is even that long).

First world gamer problems. ;)

Well, Project Spark is officially the most annoying game in the world.

Trying to get the Rising Star achievement, which is to get 100 downloads in the first 24 hours after publishing a world. I published a joke Fallout 4 world and got around 80 downloads in the first 24 hours.

Someone just remixed it (a feature in the game; basically, editing it slightly and reuploading it as your own). They got more than 100 in 24 hours.

GOD. DAMN. YOU. WORLD.

I'm never getting this achievement.

Well, Project Spark is officially the most annoying game in the world.

Trying to get the Rising Star achievement, which is to get 100 downloads in the first 24 hours after publishing a world. I published a joke Fallout 4 world and got around 80 downloads in the first 24 hours.

Someone just remixed it (a feature in the game; basically, editing it slightly and reuploading it as your own). They got more than 100 in 24 hours.

GOD. DAMN. YOU. WORLD.

I'm never getting this achievement.

Project Spark crushed my soul.

I got Rising Star on my old account by pure luck. I think I hit the requirement with about 30 minutes to spare. That shit is dumb

Honestly, I don't have the patience for dummy accounts. I've got about 5 and that's my limit. Any more effort would kill me :p

But I lied, I'm trying again. I have 60-ish plays/downloads on a world after 7 hours, so this one is looking good. It's actually a remix of a remix of the world I mentioned above! :D If anyone has the Windows 8 version and wants to give it a go, just go here; http://www.projectspark.com/#world?id=8019173 and click 'Play Now' in the bottom corner. Should load it up for you on your computer!

...alternatively, search 'Fallout 4' on Xbox One, but make sure to pick the right one.

Edit: You'll all be pleased to know that I got the achievement! Only had to make an extra 2 dummy accounts last minute :p

Edited by TehJofus

• 5 months later...

Kind of forgot this existed. My bad.

But anyway, ALIENS TABLES FOR PINBALL FX 2! You might be able to tell I'm excited. I absolutely LOVE Pinball FX 2, I must have put about 80 hours into it on Xbox One and another 5 or 6 on Windows 10.

...and I've also spent about £70 downloading extra tables, but let's just ignore that for now.

Anyone else play it? It seems like a bit of an underrated game around these parts (possibly because it has some of the hardest achievements ever).

That's cool that they are releasing the Aliens tables for the game! Depending on how much they are, I may have to get those when they release, or I may try to get them later after a sale. I've played Pinball FX2 briefly on the Xbox One when it first launched, but sadly I didn't play it for long. For some reason the game was glitchy on me for stats and it thought I was one of my friends; the whole thing was really, really weird. :confused: I really want to go back to the game and try playing it more since I absolutely love pinball in real life. I recently bought the Deadpool table and am thinking of buying some others as well so I have more than just the starting table. Are there are tables that you would recommend to someone who is just starting out with the game?

• 2 weeks later...
Are there are tables that you would recommend to someone who is just starting out with the game?

Honestly, Deadpool is one of the harder tables to play, so if you can reasonably manage on that one, you're probably set. But I'd definitely say the Fox tables are really fun, especially Bob's Burgers.

And I just got the achievements for the 3 Aliens tables over the past 2 days and can say that they're pretty fun too. The Aliens table is great, since it has all the soundbites from the movies.

• 2 weeks later...
Honestly, Deadpool is one of the harder tables to play, so if you can reasonably manage on that one, you're probably set. But I'd definitely say the Fox tables are really fun, especially Bob's Burgers.

And I just got the achievements for the 3 Aliens tables over the past 2 days and can say that they're pretty fun too. The Aliens table is great, since it has all the soundbites from the movies.

I didn't realize Deadpool was one of the harder ones; I just ended up getting it since he is one of my favourite characters and they had a deal on the table around when the movie came out. :o I'm hoping to still have fun with it anyway even if I do poorly on it. :p Thanks for the recommendation; I will have to check those tables out! Fun tables sound good to me! I'll look into the Fox tables, and those Alien tables sounds really cool! I'll think about picking those up when I get a chance! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's that time again, when I remember that this exists.

Hi!

I'm the kind of person who can only really get obsessed with one thing at a time. Over the past year, it's been gamerscore, so my comic book collection has been suffering. But a couple of months ago, I went a bit mad and ordered over £200 worth of books at once, soooo I think that obsession might be back. Recorded a little unboxing video of the delivery, if anybody fancies a watch.

[ame]

[/ame]

Obviously, most of that will be meaningless to non-comics fans, but to me? That delivery was like [insert local sports team] winning the [insert prestigious event].