Who is Brian Lara

Indeed, he is regarded as one of the creamiest players of the crop. Highlights include being the first man to score seven centuries in eight first-class innings - the first being the record 375 against England, and the last being 501 - not out - against Durham.

He also happens to be the leading run scorer in Test cricket, and the fastest batsmen to score 10,000 and 11,000 Test runs.

He loves Chinese and Italian food. And carnivals.

I have no idea what any of that means, but you can read the rest of it here.

I could be wrong... first time for everything. But I think Highpass was saying he has no idea what any of this below means...

"Highlights include being the first man to score seven centuries in eight first-class innings - the first being the record 375 against England, and the last being 501 - not out - against Durham.

He also happens to be the leading run scorer in Test cricket, and the fastest batsmen to score 10,000 and 11,000 Test runs"

I know I sure as hell don't... great now I've gotta go learn about Cricket... *runs off to Wikipedia*

I was joking man :p

Right *sigh*, let me break it down ;)

Firstly, we have different levels of cricket, first class is the highest and involves international games and top league domestic cricket where the game is two innings i.e. a "test" match.

An innings in cricket is similar to baseball (baseball has 9 where as you have to get three out, test cricket has two innings, each with ten outs needed).

So for Brian Lara to get 7 centuries out of eight innings is a pretty awesome feat, especially at that standard The not out part simply means that he wasn't out lol

The rest is self explanatory after my mini lesson :D

Okay what the hell does a centuries mean. And how many points do you get for crossing the plate.

And Baseball only has 9 innings... go ahead and edit your post so I look like I'm correcting a non mistake Webby, I know you will ;)

Edit: So a homerun is six runs right, and I can run in between wickets and score all day until I'm out, and if I score an odd number of runs I become a striker. I'm more confused now than two minutes ago.

Don't compare to baseball, your asking for trouble then :p

In this inning, a bowler will bowl at batsmen as they attempt to score runs (either running, or a boundary (4 or 6). Bowlers bowl an over (6 balls) until they get the opposition out or they declare (think they have scored enough runs).

Are we getting there yet? lol

• 1 month later...

There are two teams, one is said to be 'in' and the other to be 'out'. The team that's out tries to get the team that's in out. Meanwhile the team that's in tries to score as many runs as possible before they are out. Then they swap and do it again. Sometimes they do this once each in the same day, others they do twice and take up to 5 days.

Easy, honest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now that it's here back at the top after months.

Can anyone provide me with a link to the basic rules of cricket? I seriously have no understanding of the game and even though I try to understand more . . . it just leaves me confused.

Seriously, when I watch Sky Sports and they are showing the cricket highlights it's like they are speaking a foreign language.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I struggle to see how Cricket is confusing. Then again i was brought up on the game being an aussie. Its called ricky ponting cricket over here. Anyway Lara himself is a genius of the game. I've seen him play on several occasions. He set the record for most runs in a Test innings when he scored 375. That was then broken by Matthew Hayden with 380, until Lara broke the Record again and became the first man to score 400 runs.

That record will likely stand for some time. He probably could have been even greater if the team around him had been better. From 2000 onwards the West indies havent been much of a cricketing force. but none the less Lara is still one of the brest cricketers to live. he's up there with Sir Donald Bradman. Now How many people know who he is?