FAQs - Look Here Before Asking Questions

highpass

Questions brought up countless times will be added here. If you've anything helpful you think a new user might benefit from hearing, feel free to suggest it.

Q: Does the PC version have achievements?

A: No, it does not.

Q: I'm trying to find major/father Kyle, the apparently renegade biotic cult leader. He's nowhere to be found!

A: Kyle is not in the main warehouse, check the flat, circular building nearby.

Q: My conscience is terrible and I can't figure out which dialogue options are good or bad.

A: As a general rule of thumb; top is paragon, middle is neutral, lower is renegade. We're unsure whether this applies to all wheel options, especially when you have 5.

Q: What's the correct sequence to fix the Core at Peak 15 (AKA Tower of Hanoi puzzle)?

A: X, Y, X, B, Y, B, X, Y, B, X, B, Y, X, Y, X, B, Y, B, Y, X, B, X, Y, B, X, Y, X, B, Y, B

Q: What exactly constitutes as the "majority of the game", needed for the ally achievements?

A: You'll need between 35 to around 45 side missions along with 16 main missions completed before these unlock, depending on the ally you're going for (in example it would take less completed missions for Ashley than Liara because she joins you far earlier).

Q: Where can I rack up some quick paragon/renegade points?

A: When dealing with the infected colonists on Feros, you may either kill them (+32 renegage) or disable them with the gas grenade upgrade you were given (+32 paragon). A far faster yet dirtier method can be found in the Achievement Guide by clicking here and scrolling down to the Paragon description.

Q: Is there any reason to max out paragon or renegade points after getting the relative achievement?

A: Whilst there is no reason to reach 100% with each character, you are given missions for reaching 75% of the points in either category.

Q: I can't sell anything - where are the shops?!

A: Characters that'll buy/sell supplies are marked by a square, green symbol on your maps. A full list of them may be put together at some point. Note you can always sell stuff to the Alliance Requisitions Officer on the bottom level of the Normandy.

Q: How do I melee?

A: Press RT when up close and personal with an enemy.

Q: Where are the Keepers that I need to scan in the Citadel?

A: See this thread for the locations.

Q: For the "Do x 75 Times" or "Kill 150 Enemies with x" does this count your ally's kills and uses?

A: No, these only count your personal kills and skill uses.

Q: For the "Do x 75 Times" achievements, do I have to be in combat/affect an enemy?

A: Check this thread for a full run down.

Q: Is there an easy peasy method of getting the weapon achievements?

A: Yes, during the Lost Module mission in the Attican cluster, Hercules system, killing the monkeys counts towards your weapon kills.

Q: Can you use your old character and change the difficulty to Hardcore/Insane when starting a new game?

A: Sure can. Start a new game, then pause and change the difficulty before leaving Eden Prime. This does not work if you change the difficulty at any other point in the game.

Q: What is the button combination to turn off the AI's self-destruct in the Gambling side-mission?

A: Y, X, Y, A, X, A, A

Q: What's the best thing to do with my hard earned credits?

A: Sell everything in your inventory that's superceded and put the credits in your piggy bank until reaching 1,000,000 (and thus unlocking the "Rich" achievement", at which point you can buy Spectre gear from the A.R. Officer on the bottom level of the Normandy.

Q: Is there a way to change my class so I can work on other achievements?

A: No, you must create a new character.

---

Contributors: Webb, Highpass, Lunacy, The Pants Party, Biohzrd451, orp08, Fighterspledge.

Edited by The Pants Party

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paragon/ Renegade bug! Go to Noveria, after you've gotten the information for the Turian, the lady will ask you to make him testify. Force him to testify, get your points, talk to him. Ask about Benizia, then change topics and lastly the testify option. Rinse and repeat.

This does work, I just tryed it, did it the first time got +25, second time +25, and a third time +50, a fourth time +75, a fifth time +25. And now it's going back in the order. Quick way to max out your paragon/renegade.

Ok got a question, and I figured this would be the best place to put it.

Is this game still worth buying and playing for someone who maybe isn't normally a huge fan of RPG's or doesn't normally play them??

I want to go buy this, but am just so on the fence since I don't play alot of RPG's, and it looks like Mass Effect could be overwelming for someone who doesn't normally play games like this.

Thanks in advance. (sorry if this question is in the wrong place)

I have my hand up because I need to ask a question. If your character dosen't have a certain skill, but the person in your part does, does it help you? For example, I keep finding things on planets to salvage, but it says my electronic skill isn't high enough. Now I don't have that skill, but if I up the skill on one of my party members will I be able to use it? I know this is probably covered in the the manual, but I don't have it. Dam rental stores.

Yes, achievements carry over in next career. In my first play through, I got around 80 snipe kills, I got the rest in my second play through. In the beginning of my third play through, I got my Medi Gel one.

Covert: Example if you take Tali and you're a soldier, you can decrypt anything if her skill is high enough. Same goes to first aid ones.

Also, how did you find that y,x,y,a,x,a,a code to disarm it? Is there somewhere in the game that actually gives you that code legit?

I'm not sure if there is a "legit" way to find that code, but I was able to figure it out by trial and error. I just kept trying combinations till I got it. Not sure if the explosion kills you, but they give you plenty of time to figure out the code before he blows.

How the hell do I leave the Citadel? I've got the ship and missions that send me away but no options to leave for another planet or go exploring. WTF? Please, help me.

So you are a Spectre and have been given command of the Normandy, to travel to other galaxies and planets, you need to use the map inside the Normandy, next to the navigator. You can't miss it, it is big and orange, 3-dimensional galatic map.

Q: For the "Do x 75 Times" achievements, do I have to be in combat/affect an enemy?

A: Nope, you can stand still and use the skill over and over until it unlocks.

Is this for sure? seems like it worked for barrier but I got Warp and Throw in combat... I have been trying to get the other 3 (lift, singularity, and stasis) by just casting them while I am walking around and I have to either be close to 75 or over but not achievement. Has anyone actually just stood around and casted them untill they got the achievement?

Is this for sure? seems like it worked for barrier but I got Warp and Throw in combat... I have been trying to get the other 3 (lift, singularity, and stasis) by just casting them while I am walking around and I have to either be close to 75 or over but not achievement. Has anyone actually just stood around and casted them untill they got the achievement?

yet to work on biotics but if i was you i would spend a hour and half and cast all those on a box if by 2 hours no acheivement thats your spadeing every bit helps but yeah do x times sucks big time basketball gorilla balls

Well barrier I did get by just standing around and casting it... Warp and Throw I got in combat, but I had still cast them a bunch not in combat before...

at this point I think that you CAN get barrier by just standing around and casting it... Warp, Throw, and the other 3 need to be in combat.

All biotics can be achieved outside of combat - just about an hour ago I got all six. Lift, Throw, Singularity, Stasis, Barrier, and Warp. I did about half of them just standing around in the Citadel, but the last half I did on the SSV Ontario, with the tires, just so I had something to play with. Definitely did not do 75 repetitions on the Ontario though, so combat is unnecessary.

EDIT:: Although, I haven't done tech yet, so I can't verify or deny those.

All biotics can be achieved outside of combat - just about an hour ago I got all six. Lift, Throw, Singularity, Stasis, Barrier, and Warp. I did about half of them just standing around in the Citadel, but the last half I did on the SSV Ontario, with the tires, just so I had something to play with. Definitely did not do 75 repetitions on the Ontario though, so combat is unnecessary.

EDIT:: Although, I haven't done tech yet, so I can't verify or deny those.

Do i have to go through a quest line to go there and what system?

Do enemies on random non-mission planets repopulate? It would be awesome if it were like oblivion where you could just come back after a few days and kill the bandits again.

How does decryption work? Does my character need to up decryption in order to hack objects or can I keep a tech character in my party and up his decryption to hack?

Do enemies on random non-mission planets repopulate? It would be awesome if it were like oblivion where you could just come back after a few days and kill the bandits again.

How does decryption work? Does my character need to up decryption in order to hack objects or can I keep a tech character in my party and up his decryption to hack?

Decryption and Electronics are both calculated for the party's total ranks in the relevant skill, so you can have no skill at all, but a maxed out NPC, and you should be fine. There are a few things that probably require more than a single character's maxed out ranks, but I'd have to experiment a bit to verify that.

Also to address a question further upthread: sniper rifles get more stable the more ranks you have in the skill. Also, crouching/kneeling helps a good bit. Once you've got enough ranks, the scope doesn't really bob around at all.

Decryption and Electronics are both calculated for the party's total ranks in the relevant skill, so you can have no skill at all, but a maxed out NPC, and you should be fine. There are a few things that probably require more than a single character's maxed out ranks, but I'd have to experiment a bit to verify that.

My character has 1 in decryption and 10 in electronics (the shield boost is awesome) and I have Garrus in my party with 6 in decryption (enough for medium objects) and there are still many containers/objects that are unhackable. I need to get more exp so I can max Garrus in decryption and get a final answer. Once he is maxed in decryption, should I be able to hack anything?