Is Oblivion Oblivious?

Namzzar

Hats off to Bethesda for creating some of the most interesting and gripping RPG action games of the decade, but I'm somewhat confused.

I started my journey playing Fallout 3 and fell in love instantly. I brought New Vegas as soon as it came out and it didn't disapoint. Then I found out Oblivion IV: Elder Scrolls was also created by Bethesda.

Naturally I brought it, but it just didn't click with me.

The gameplay was sluggish, the story was longwinded and the controls were confusing and clunky.

I've only got two achievements and i'm really sad that i can't get into it.

What about you guys? Should I have played Oblivion before Fallout?

Oblivion is older than Fallout 3 and much older than New Vegas. You probably should have played Oblivion first, for it's the older and you would get more of a feel fOr the evolution of Bethesda's RPG system. Iblivion will get you hooked, just give it time. I was in the same position a couple years ago, I got Oblivion GOTY as a gift after playing through Fallout 3 and all 5. DLCs. But with enough persistence Oblivion grew on me and I came to enjoy the game thoroughly. Just give it time.

If you only got two achievements in it then that means you basically got out of the sewer, played it for maybe another hour tops, and gave up on the game. If you truly want to enjoy and experience everything this game has to offer, then you have to be prepared to devote alot of time to it. It's not a game you can get through in a couple days like some Halo crap.

I suggest you try some of the Dark Brotherhood side quests. If you're still bored after that, then I'd assume Oblivion won't be your type of game.

The problem with most games today is that everyone expects awesome games to be breath taking and awesome all the through. For me Oblivion is that, but for other maybe not. I learn new things about Oblivion every time I play. It takes longer to get used to Oblivion and learn all the quirks than it does to beat any FPS campaign. Sorry but it is the truth.

Now you said you love Fallout, and while they are both RPGs, they are widly different. It takes a lot of time to get accustomed to the Oblivion interface, while Fallout took less than the length of the tutorial because it was so basic compared to Oblivion. To truly enjoy Oblivion you should explore first, and do quests if you want to. That is where the true fun is.

How you can not like both equally is beyond me. Me personally, I hate Oblivion and I hate Fallout 3. Bad animations, horrible voice acting, dull recycled environments,bad AI, overly dull easy combat..ect... Fallout 3 is literally Oblivion with Guns.

New Vegas was much better, but I am guessing that is because it was not made by overrated Bethesda :) I don't hate Bethesda btw, I liked morrowind lol, and I am very much looking fwd to Skyrim.

I completed Fallout 3 on both PS3 and 360 with 100% Trophies/Achievements with all 5 DLC as well. I also had done the same with Oblivion on both systems. To me Oblivion was everything a sand box RPG should be. Fallout 3 was a good game, but the vast landscapes of Oblivion as well as all the towns, dungeons, caves, ruins and Oblivion gates scattered throughout the world, made it one of my favorite RPG's of this decade!

Now the real question..... who the hell is ready for some SKYRIM!!?? :Bounce:

I completed Fallout 3 on both PS3 and 360 with 100% Trophies/Achievements with all 5 DLC as well. I also had done the same with Oblivion on both systems. To me Oblivion was everything a sand box RPG should be. Fallout 3 was a good game, but the vast landscapes of Oblivion as well as all the towns, dungeons, caves, ruins and Oblivion gates scattered throughout the world, made it one of my favorite RPG's of this decade!

Now the real question..... who the hell is ready for some SKYRIM!!?? :Bounce:

Dungeons/caves/ruins/oblivion gates were a problem with Oblivion...because they did not vary at all...they were all exactly the same. Really hoping Skyrim has a bit more variety to its locations.

Dungeons/caves/ruins/oblivion gates were a problem with Oblivion...because they did not vary at all...they were all exactly the same.

Haha, go play Dragon Age II and you'll look at the Oblivion dungeons in a whole new light.

Each one is a beautiful and unique snowflake compared to DAII's lot.

For the OP, try not comparing it to FO when you play it. Like already said, it's a fantastic game but if you compare it to FO3 or NV you'll think of all the ways it's different.

What could be an idea is play some of Morrowind first and then Oblivion. That should give you a big jump of perspective from FO to Oblivion when you consider what that was like too.

Don't get me wrong of course, for me Morrowind is the best of the lot still but it would give you an idea of the progression even more.

They are all clunky as hell, and they are all still some of the best games ive ever played. Just goes to show that superb animations and control input/response time's arent necessary for a great game, BUT they certainly friggin help, which is why Skyrim will hopefully rock so hard my face will explode upon installation.

I've been sitting on both Oblivion and Fallout 3 for a while. Started Fallout 3, plopped the disc in "to test it out"....6 hours later I realized I was supposed to be waking up for work in about an hour.

Haven't dropped it in since.

Oblivion, haven't even started it yet I'm afraid of the same thing. Getting so wrapped up I forget where my beer is or that sleep is supposed to be one of those things you do every day.

I have a lot of games in the queue before I start those two, or I may never get around to anything else! I do have to try Oblivion before Skyrim arrives though....damn. I'm not entirely an achievement OCD competitionist but in RPG's I'm addicted to doing as much as possible, any side quest, fetch quest, stupid side thing I go haywire to try and complete.

VladK, thanks for the heads up, after playing DA2 I'm almost scared of walking into caves in any game now just from memories of the boredom.

Edited by Opiate42

Give it more time. Fallout 3 is pretty rubbish in the beginning, but once out of the vault, the game really picks up. Oblivion is kinda the same, boring until you're out of the sewer and can explore to your hearts content, although it isn't quite as instantly enjoyable as Fallout (imo anyway). It does get better though, trust me.

I've played and completed all three (and look longingly at 11/1/11 on my calender...), and each game is awesome -- in slightly different ways. Oblivion, I think, is more wide open; you really only have to escape the sewer and go to the priory in the beginning, and then the rest of the main story can be completed at your leisure. I spent 180 hours on Oblivion without progressing any further on the main quest. (I topped out at 211 hours, including Shimmering Isles.) Oblivion also doesn't have a level cap... well, it "technically" does, but it's so high (if you plan it right), it doesn't feel like there is. Not so with either of the Fallouts. They're both level-capped (I think 20 for F3 without DLC, and 30 F:NV without DLC), and it feels a little more restrictive. I tend not to explore as much if I'm not earning experience, perks, or otherwise have some kind of incentive to be doing it. Thus, I tend to stick to the main stories in the Fallout games a lot more, so it feels like a tighter game. Remember, too, they're two different RPG settings; post-apocalyptic Earth compared to a dintinctly Medieval fantasy landscape. Maybe you just enjoy a more modern/futuristic RPG experience.

Oblivion is a very involved game, there's TONS to do. Compared to Fallout's city... it's a world. It does start off slow and take some getting used to but there's a million and one things to do if you like exploring and quests.

A great site for info (besides this site of course!) is http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

I played Oblivion right away when I got my xbox about 2 years or so ago. And its probably still to this day the BEST game ive ever played. I spent probably 200+ hours on that game, and had a blast the whole way through. Then I rented Fallout 3 from gamefly expecting it to catch my attention right away same as oblivon. But sadly it didnt....not even a little bit. I probably should have gave it some more time as I sent it back after I got to megaton or whatever the city is called. But then I got New Vegas when it released and was hooked on it from the start, my First impression was way better than my fallout 3's and I kept liking it more and more as I went! Still as much as I enjoyed New Vegas, it still is nothing compared to Oblivion in my opinion!