Back Alley Brawl

Mister Buds

At the risk of sounding totally nooby, am I the only one that finds this trial unnecessarily difficult?

Trying for the By My Hand Alone achievement and I can't even survive to wave 13, let alone kill all the enemies. The damage the enemies do with a single hit is absurd. The health elixirs only heal 1/3 of your health, so once I use one, another hit and I'm prompted to use another, or die.

I don't know. Think I might have to pass on this achievement.

EDIT: Finally got this achievement yesterday after many, many, many attempts. Instead of double posting, I'll include a few tips here, from my experience, of things to look out for.

Try to avoid being grabbed/tackled by weepers and dogs. Seriously, they both have the ability to latch on to you even while you're mid-swing with your blade. Both attacks render you unable to move while during the animations. This wastes valuable time if enemies are fighting on the other side of the map. In my opinion it's worth using crossbow bolts on them, even though you can rarely retreive your bolts from these enemy types.

For some reason this game likes to not register my kills. This seems most likely to happen with executions, the short, animated kills that give you fatality bonuses. It started happening quite frequently in the early waves, once on the golden merchant that spawned after wave 6, and most heart-breakingly as I drop assassinated the second tallboy, and final enemy, of wave 12.

Runes. As we all know, these runes love to spawn on top of the buildings, well out of our way. If Bend Time spawns on a roof, it's not too big of a deal, since you can trigger it's effects as soon as you pick it up. However, the game gives you powers in order. If the first rune spawns on a roof and the second rune spawns on the ground, picking up the one on the ground without grabbing the one on the roof will give you Devouring Swarm, not Bend Time, even though it was the second rune to spawn.

Enemies can die by environmental factors. I was once sword fighting with an overseer when he struck the red pipe/valve on the building next to where the whale oil tank is located. This caused an explosion, which killed him, I did not get credit for the kill. Speaking of whale oil tanks, you can remove them from the machine as they become available and essentially stockpile them, if you wanted to. However, if an enemy causes one to explode and someone dies as a result, again this doesn't count for you.

The pack of rats that sit around the map and eat dead bodies also attack live enemies sometimes. If these kill an enemy it doesn't count for you. Rats you summon with Devouring Swarm do count though.

If you see enemies fighting across the map, and you decide to shoot them, make sure to aim for the aggressor. If you hit the victim, somtimes you might get lucky and kill him if he's low on health. If you hit the victim and don't kill him it will just make him weaker and limit your window to rectify the situation. It's safer to go for the aggressor.

My final cautionary tip is to beware of the overseers with the musical boxes. I think they only spawn on wave 8 and wave 12. When you're affected by them, it warns you that magic can not be used. One thing I failed to realize is that this also affects your abilites, meaning you can no longer double-jump with agility! I learned this the hard way one attempt on wave 12. I went to drop assassinate a tallboy, unaware that there was an overseer in that area. As I jumped off the roof I was knocked out of Bend Time and since I barely jumped anywhere I came crashing down next to a group of enemies where I was quickly killed.

Anyway, good luck to anyone attempting this achievement because it is pure bullshit. Luck does not make an achievement!

Edited by Mister Buds

At the risk of sounding totally nooby, am I the only one that finds this trial unnecessarily difficult?

Trying for the By My Hand Alone achievement and I can't even survive to wave 13, let alone kill all the enemies. The damage the enemies do with a single hit is absurd. The health elixirs only heal 1/3 of your health, so once I use one, another hit and I'm prompted to use another, or die.

I don't know. Think I might have to pass on this achievement.

are you playing on expert or something? I thought elixirs healed more than that.

Keep in mind you can loot grenades from overseers, bolts from Assassins, And bullets from Elites(?).

for some of the harder targets (Assassins/Elites/Thugs who breathe fire) you need to shoot them with your crossbow then swing your swords at them a couple times which kills them in almost instantly. I tend to do this with dogs also since they tackle me alot.

Even with these its still hard though... Its mostly luck based.

Even though im handing out this advice to you (Which you probably know most of already) I personally don't have the achievement, I can't be bothered to do anymore dunwall trials anytime soon.

Note: I called thugs a 'Harder' target because of how much damage their fire does.

Edited by Chevelle

It's a case of making do until you get bend time. Once you get bend time, the next few waves are usually not too hard. On waves 6 and 7 you can get a bend time off in the beginning and usually kill 3 out 4 before it wears off. On Wave 8, all the enemies are on the same faction so you can afford to sit on a roof and take them out with grenades and the crossbow.

Wave 9 has the torturer, which can be taken out quickly if you can get a double jump drop assassination on him, however try and leave him until you have killed the rest during bend time.

Waves 10 and 11 have Tallboys so try and get in position on one of the rooftops that are next to their spawn points on the off chance that you get a free drop assassination opportunity on them. Use bend time and it should give you enough time to get to the other roof if it spawns on the other side and hope for the best. On wave 12, get on the harder of the two roofs to get to (opposite side from where you initially spawn) as you will have to kill two Tallboys and so one is guaranteed to start there. Keep bend time up as much as possible on the final wave and hope for the best. Practice helps a lot.

Additional tip: If an important rune like Bend Time spawns on one of the high rooftops, leave a guy alive in a wave to go fetch it rather than trying to get it in the interval.

are you playing on expert or something? I thought elixirs healed more than that.

Keep in mind you can loot grenades from overseers, bolts from Assassins, And bullets from Elites(?).

for some of the harder targets (Assassins/Elites/Thugs who breathe fire) you need to shoot them with your crossbow then swing your swords at them a couple times which kills them in almost instantly. I tend to do this with dogs also since they tackle me alot.

Even with these its still hard though... Its mostly luck based.

Even though im handing out this advice to you (Which you probably know most of already) I personally don't have the achievement, I can't be bothered to do anymore dunwall trials anytime soon.

Note: I called thugs a 'Harder' target because of how much damage their fire does.

It's literally the same thing in my game. Damage taken and health restoration is the exact same in the normal trial and expert one. The only thing different in expert is that the enemies always know where you are and it spawns different types of enemies during the waves.

It's a case of making do until you get bend time. Once you get bend time, the next few waves are usually not too hard. On waves 6 and 7 you can get a bend time off in the beginning and usually kill 3 out 4 before it wears off. On Wave 8, all the enemies are on the same faction so you can afford to sit on a roof and take them out with grenades and the crossbow.

Wave 9 has the torturer, which can be taken out quickly if you can get a double jump drop assassination on him, however try and leave him until you have killed the rest during bend time.

Waves 10 and 11 have Tallboys so try and get in position on one of the rooftops that are next to their spawn points on the off chance that you get a free drop assassination opportunity on them. Use bend time and it should give you enough time to get to the other roof if it spawns on the other side and hope for the best. On wave 12, get on the harder of the two roofs to get to (opposite side from where you initially spawn) as you will have to kill two Tallboys and so one is guaranteed to start there. Keep bend time up as much as possible on the final wave and hope for the best. Practice helps a lot.

Additional tip: If an important rune like Bend Time spawns on one of the high rooftops, leave a guy alive in a wave to go fetch it rather than trying to get it in the interval.

Yeah, I've been trying this shit like non-stop. The beginning waves up until Bend Time really are the hardest. I get screwed on wave 5 everytime. It always spawns one or two dogs and then it always spawns a thug (I think) right next to one of the dogs, and instantly kills him with a molotov. It happens like 90% of the time and it's so fast there's literally nothing I can do to combat it.

Also, despite everyone that keeps saying it, I don't believe wave 8 is always one faction. I've lost a kill on this wave half a dozen times now.

I have had a couple close runs, I've missed out on the achievement by one kill a total of three times now.