Nightmare is way to hard imo

Suki

ok before u all flame me saying 'your shit drop the difficulty' i have always played my games on the hardest setting and done every cod on Vet the witcher on the hardest setting etc.. and all really with no problem but this, this is crazy hard.

I am lvl 6 and am a rogue archer with the three team mates u start with we are all levelled to 6 and have the best equipment we can get at the moment but we are just getting owned by most of the rifts and main missions. I have only managed to seal 3 after great effort and when i go to try to seal the rift in Herald of Andraste mission through the building into the cave im just being raped by the green tall things that come up out of the ground then u can't get away because of slowed spell before they use there explosion attack a few time and bam u r dead.

Now am i missing something here or is it just this hard this quick because i read that nightmare isnt really that much harder than hard so im thinking im missing some tactic or something. We r hitting for like tiny amounts compared to the hp the enemy have i may as well be throwing peas at them and hitting them with flumps the good its doing.

Press rs to lock on and see their level. I bet you wondered too far and are fight lvl 8-12 enemies. Nightmare is tough starting out because you need to level up do be worth a hoot. By in the end, level 19 will plow most things with a couple of annoying story missions. The end game is pretty easy and you can finish the story then lower the difficulty for the harder rifts if you want

ok before u all flame me saying 'your shit drop the difficulty' i have always played my games on the hardest setting and done every cod on Vet the witcher on the hardest setting etc.. and all really with no problem but this, this is crazy hard.

I am lvl 6 and am a rogue archer with the three team mates u start with we are all levelled to 6 and have the best equipment we can get at the moment but we are just getting owned by most of the rifts and main missions. I have only managed to seal 3 after great effort and when i go to try to seal the rift in Herald of Andraste mission through the building into the cave im just being raped by the green tall things that come up out of the ground then u can't get away because of slowed spell before they use there explosion attack a few time and bam u r dead.

Now am i missing something here or is it just this hard this quick because i read that nightmare isnt really that much harder than hard so im thinking im missing some tactic or something. We r hitting for like tiny amounts compared to the hp the enemy have i may as well be throwing peas at them and hitting them with flumps the good its doing.

I hear you - those can be frustrating. Look, I generally always play rougue archer first run. The combo of archery and stealth is very beastly in this game. I had literally NEVER once played as a Mage in the other DA games and mid prolouge I read about how beneficial barrier is and I must say regardless of whether you want to play as a Mage/Knight Enchanter or not it helps so much at least having Solas using Barrier at those tough rift spots. Focus on the rift and not the creatures as much and keep the defensive stuff up.

I'm no condoning using a mage just to have a cheap nightmare run, but I can tell you need mages at least to get through some parts.

I'm early in the game too so I'm sure others have better tips.

I am using the tactical camera but then when i resume the play and start TC again the CP's have used there special attacks and i cant really do anything but basic attack.

Is there a way to stop them using there special attacks so i can make use of barrier as at the moment i am not using barrier or dispell.

Yes. Character Record -> Tactics. Then, in Behaviour, you can also set at what level of mana/stamina they stop using abilities altogether.

Until you're around lvl 12-14 Nightmare difficulty can be pretty difficult because you don't have many party choices or perks/abilities. After that, as long as you stay out of areas that are too high leveled for you, which is pretty easy to do as after Skyhold is open almost all of the other play areas will start to become available.

After I got to lvl 12, I rarely even had to use the tactical camera anymore because I plowed through enemies pretty quickly. I use 2 shield warriors and 2 mages for lots of barrier and guard protection. Their health rarely gets touched. Since you have a rouge, I would trade a warrior out and not a mage as lots of barrier is a godsend in many situations.

At low levels use tac camera for pretty much every fight. Don't be afraid to go back to a camp after only 2 fights if you have to restock potions.

Get Solas the revive ability ASAP as it will be very useful early on.

Not all rifts are created equal. Check the level of enemies before you fight them. Do ALL of the boring Hinterlands quests to get higher level quickly. I got to level 11 before doing the Haven destruction main quest by completing almost everything in the Hinterlands and the Storm Coast.

My biggest recommendation is to disable the AI use of barrier, dispel, and any high mana use spells(like Winter's Grasp) by your mages, then disable at least Challenge by your warrior/s. You need dispel to be ready to use once you finish the first wave of a rift to cancel at least one of the incoming attackers and you don't want the AI to have used it right beforehand. The AI will also cast barrier mostly on you(the controlled character) which is not always what you want, so make sure that you're the one always using that where it's most needed. And you need Challenge to be ready to use by you when you need to get aggro off of your rouge or other unprotected players.

Another note is to use Full Draw, Sleep Powder, Winter's Grasp, and other stasis abilities to knock combatants out of combat for a bit. Make sure not to attack them so they stay dazed and out of the fight while you focus on other enemies.

Pitch grenades. BEASTLY for mobs. Fully upgrade them ASAP as they can turn the tide of fights very quickly. Once fully upgraded those puppies completely STOP enemies for like 4-6 seconds, then cast slow on them, they do 50% less damage and take 50% more damage. And they stay around for the entire fight (it's like 174 seconds or something which is longer than most fights)

(To upgrade potions easily check online for locations of rare herbs like Felandaris and Prophet's Laurel [they are always in the same location every game] after getting Skyhold and the garden. Then save before picking them up and keep reloading until you pick up seeds for them then plant them in your garden to get as many as you need.)

Get the Inquisition perk to have a third potion/tonic/grenade spot ASAP.

A good second carrying choice is the Jar of Bees. Even when the Pitch grenades won't work on bosses, the Jar almost always works. Does a ton of damage to a single target and sends them into a panic effectively taking them out of the fight for quite a while so you can focus on smaller enemies. When fully upgraded it can affect 2 enemies.

Edited by trcrane

ive pretty much done as many of the missions in the hinterlands as i can leaving the hard rifts some level 10-12. I am almost lvl 7 and have just tried to go to the mire where the undead are they killed me and my party in a few hits.

Im now thinking im pretty done with nightmare it would seem im not worthy as i have run out of things i can do as a level 6 so i cant upgrade much more.

just one other thing where can i find the scematic for the pitch grenade.

Edited by Suki

ive pretty much done as many of the missions in the hinterlands as i can..

hmm..

...just one other thing where can i find the scematic for the pitch grenade.

seems like you've got some extra work to do in the Hinterlands. ;)

#1: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718650-dragon-age-inquisition/70758374

#2:

#1. Pitch is in Valammar or whatever. Hinterlands cave near a camp that leads to the Deeproads, where you found Blackwall.

#2. In a chamber that needs to be bashed in by a warrior in Valammar.

ahh it looks like many more missions to trigger or find then i guess in the hinterlands.

I did everything possible in the hinterlands and storm coast before the Haven battle and was at lvl 11 after just those 2 areas. Just keep switching between the two areas when you feel you've reached too powerful an area. Level up in the other then go back to the first and complete more there. You should be able to take on the lvl 12 rifts at lvl 9. Just save before fighting one and when the second wave comes if you guessed wrong with dispel and used it on a ghost instead of a Terror or a Rage Demon then re-load and try again. I didn't do the Mire until lvl 15 or so, after Haven. Those undead archers are too painful at most levels below that.

If you can get through Haven then it is all downhill from there

Do you mean it's easier after beating Haven? I'm still contemplating a Nightmare run, but i doubt i ever will. Just trying to gather as much info on it before i decide whether or not to try it. :p

I'm not done with my nightmare run yet, but once I passed the trebuchet fight, and specialized my mage as Knight-Enchanter, the game became a lot easier.

Really? I was thinking a Rogue would be the most powerful for nightmare, but i'm hearing stuff about this 'Knight Enchanter' business and i'm starting to think otherwise.

Really? I was thinking a Rogue would be the most powerful for nightmare, but i'm hearing stuff about this 'Knight Enchanter' business and i'm starting to think otherwise.

I'm sure one can also build a powerful Rogue character. I just don't like playing as a rogue. In any case, I'm happy with my Knight-Enchanter, and she does a great job of kicking all sorts of evil ass.

I'm sure one can also build a powerful Rogue character. I just don't like playing as a rogue. In any case, I'm happy with my Knight-Enchanter, and she does a great job of kicking all sorts of evil ass.

Nice, i'll probably go for a Mage if/when i attempt it, they are generally the most powerful character's in RPG's it would seem. I just enjoy the idea of a Rogue character. :)

I started off as a DW rogue but it is just not viable in nightmare during the low levels. So I switched to archer and control Viv. 3 dragons down and haven't hit level 14 yet.

Nice, i'll probably go for a Mage if/when i attempt it, they are generally the most powerful character's in RPG's it would seem. I just enjoy the idea of a Rogue character. :)

Patch is out and Upgraded Fire Flask + Thousand Cuts still does not remove the Focus meter, so this is definitely the most powerful character, in my opinion anyway. Rogue archer is hella powerful even without this, but this just makes a Tempest unstoppable. The Flask has a 32 second cooldown, however, you can use the flask, use Thousand Cuts, and then immediately use Cuts again(at the expense of your Focus) and kill a dragon in less than 5 seconds. Of course that's completely overkill, but it sure makes for some sweet DVR clips.

Towards the end of my Nightmare run, most battles went like this:

Solas (Pull of the Abyss) > Vivienne (Static Cage) > Iron Bull/Cole/Main_character/whoever has AoE attacks/weapons > everything dead.

The above method can also be swapped for:

Solas/Main_mage (Pull of the Abyss) > Templar warrior (Wrath of heaven > Spell Purge[upgraded])

Have everyone else sit down and watch the fireworks. Rarely do they need to intervene after Spell Purge. It does like 6-7k normally. If enemies are weakened by a Rift attack, Pitch grenade or something else, or if War Horn is active then it's definitely a July 4th celebration.

Solas and Vivienne can throw in some weaken/stun/chill/etc attacks for crazy combo multipliers if the enemies are particularly feisty. Also, Pitch grenades will keep them from getting away if Pull wears off and they're somehow still standing. And since they also reduce the enemies damage and help you do 50% more damage the fight will end quickly thereafter.

For tough mini bosses/pride demons/giants/dragons just use Tempest's Fire Flask with Thousand Cuts plus other focus abilities (if needed...probably not) and maybe throw in a Jar of Bees for good measure and they're dead in a few seconds.

Patch is out and Upgraded Fire Flask + Thousand Cuts still does not remove the Focus meter, so this is definitely the most powerful character, in my opinion anyway. Rogue archer is hella powerful even without this, but this just makes a Tempest unstoppable. The Flask has a 32 second cooldown, however, you can use the flask, use Thousand Cuts, and then immediately use Cuts again(at the expense of your Focus) and kill a dragon in less than 5 seconds. Of course that's completely overkill, but it sure makes for some sweet DVR clips.

I think i will eventually go for a rogue (i've contradicted myself so much in this thread alone with this, i'm just so confused:p) just because i prefer the play style of them. I've been controlling Sera in a few battles recently and i'm rather enjoying it. Although killing weak-ass demons on easy is far from what i'll experience on Nightmare.