What is your favorite combination of wings?

bigbear.

So far my favorite combination of wings in terms of how the house looks is to have the Bedroom on one side, the Armory on the other and the Trophy Room as the North wing. I haven't actually seen what the bedroom and armory look like fully furnished because I put them on my second and third houses and have been focused on fully furnishing my first house (my family is there). But in terms of the outside of the house I definitely prefer the bedroom and armory.

I just love how the bedroom and armory add patios to the outside of the house and the Trophy room is just bad ass. I like the library but the alchemy and enchanter wings are pointless because you can still get an alchemy table and enchanters table in the "main" house. I also wasn't particularly impressed with the greenhouse (or whatever its called). The storage room is kind of pointless in my opinion and I never bothered checking out the third option for the back of the house.

Side Note: I'd eventually like to move my family to my third house (by Falkreath with the Bedrooms and the Armory) but whenever I talk to my wife right now the option to move is completely gone (I can't even move back to any of the old houses). Is it maybe because I don't have beds for the children anywhere else? If I get beds at my other estates will I be able to move the family or am I stuck with them at Windstad?

I'm a little irritated that there are no bookshelves anywhere else in the house except the library >_>

Outside house looks: Bedroom/Storage/Armory. That's one massive deck :D

For actual use: Bedroom/Trophy/Armory. As you said, the Enchanter/Alchemy towers aren't all that useful, since the main hall can have both tables. Oh, and I don't put any of the tools (grinder, armor bench, tanning rack) in the armory, nor do I put the round table in it. I prefer being able to walk about my armory, not ram into clutter :p

Overall, the cellar is probably my favorite room. Full smithing area + kegs of booze? We have a winner.

I'm a little irritated that there are no bookshelves anywhere else in the house except the library >_>

Outside house looks: Bedroom/Storage/Armory. That's one massive deck :D

For actual use: Bedroom/Trophy/Armory. As you said, the Enchanter/Alchemy towers aren't all that useful, since the main hall can have both tables. Oh, and I don't put any of the tools (grinder, armor bench, tanning rack) in the armory, nor do I put the round table in it. I prefer being able to walk about my armory, not ram into clutter :p

Overall, the cellar is probably my favorite room. Full smithing area + kegs of booze? We have a winner.

I love the cellar as well. Thing is that its kind of a stupid thing to do in real life...I mean a giant fire-pit in your basement? With a smelter? Sure the cellar is mostly stone but there is a wood ceiling and stone does burn (especially at some temps you need to reach to smelt and smith). Plus all the smoke drifting up into the house and causing smoke damage to the basement ceiling/groundfloor?

I love the cellar as well. Thing is that its kind of a stupid thing to do in real life...I mean a giant fire-pit in your basement? With a smelter? Sure the cellar is mostly stone but there is a wood ceiling and stone does burn (especially at some temps you need to reach to smelt and smith). Plus all the smoke drifting up into the house and causing smoke damage to the basement ceiling/groundfloor?

Agreed, its a terrible design lol...but handy, since there are chests within reach of each tool. I don't know why they didn't just let you add a forge to the other items outside your house instead...but whatever :)

Lakeview Manor - Here is where my family will live with a nice view by the lake

West

Bedroom - for the family comfort, bedrooms for me and the wife and some adopted brats

East

Kitchen - my wife will cook me some awesome meals here when she's not dealing drugs ;)

North

Trophy - Gotta show of what daddy's been up to!

Windstad Manor - In the undisturbed north beneath the cliffs of Solitude is where I will conduct my studies

West

Greenhouse - Growing the ingredients for my alchemy experiments

East

Library - Recipies comes in books and on notes. Also tales of north are best read in silence. Here I will keep my vast collection of books.

North

Alchemy - Experiments with flasks and bottles, no children allowed

Heljarchen Hall - my own resort where I can keep my collections of armour and weapons, close to Whiterun where I killed one of my first dragons.

West

Enchanting - For the inhancement of all the weapons and armor I find or make

East

Armoury - Display weapons and armor I collect through andventerous quests in the lands of Skyrim.

North

Storage - To hold all my loot until the poor merchants restock their supply of Iron Ingots, Iron Ore and coin

This is in my opinion the best combination and use of wings. Though one could ask for a little more flexible interior and combination of wings, Sims style ^^Got tons of armor I'd like to put up on display but Armoury only holds 5(?)... If I had my way, the main hall would be filled with armor stands :)

my library is coming along great, i'll post a screenshot sometime, just need to fill it in with alot more books.

I've got my bottom floor book shelves completely filled and I'm well on my way to filling the top floor shelves.

I have very few (if any) duplicate books. A lot of my books were stolen from the Arcaneum at the Wizards College. Of course since I'm the Arch-Mage I consider them to be "borrowed".

Update on my side note in the original post:

I now have the option to move my family. I got my bedrooms fully furnished at Lake View Manor and it is now giving me the option to move my family from Windstad. However, I'm not sure I want to. There always seems to be a dragon flying around Lake View whenever I visit there :/

My Lakeview has the three towers because it makes the outside of the house look awesome and I like standing on top and looking out over the water. My adopted kids are always telling me how much they love it too. Personally I love the library, but I was a book collector before who hated the lack of bookshelves in the other houses so... I wish there were upholstered chairs though, I have straw and nothing but uncomfortable wooden furniture!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well on my main house I have the enchanting tower, storage room and armory. I use the armory to store all my armor pieces, and the storage room to store all my weapons. My only problem with that house is that i built the smelter and all the smithing equipment outside before I knew you could have them in the cellar as well, to bad you cant get rid of them.