Intelligence

How would you rate your own intelligence and how do you think it has changed over the years?

I ask this because we all know the saying "the older you get the wiser you become" yet I am finding it the opposite. I seem to be losing intelligence as I age. When I was in education I would have considered myself as quite brainy. However since settling into adult life with most days being the same thing, seeing the same people, doing the same job etc. I don't feel like my mind is being stimulated enough with new information and is degrading. I have tried to read more but have found some books to be beyond my comprehension, something that never used to be a problem. No matter what the subject matter I used to be able to get a basic grasp of it. Not any more though.

When I sit and think about it, it is a very scary situation as I can't see a way of improving matters without a total lifestyle change. At the moment it feels like its only a matter of time before I become a dribbling moron.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a scale of what to what?

Assuming it's on a scale of 1 to 10, and how I would rate my current intelligence, I'd give myself an 8 or 9.

I overall am able to comprehend and understand things my peers would not understand and be able to think more in-depth. Hell, the grammar I have I thought to be standard at this age is still somewhat being taught. I think about 2 years ago (HSA I believe) my comprehension and vocabulary skills were "Post-High School". I was in 8th Grade at the time.

Wow, how am I supposed to describe my own intelligence without sounding like I am full of myself? I consider my own intelligence at this age to be above average at least, but even making such a statement about myself makes me feel like a smarmy asshole.

As for over time, and intelligence based on what it would be on average for certain ages, I'd say I was rather slow and below-average intelligence in my early years/grades (K to 5th or so...). I think I started to pick up and be able to learn and comprehend better over time. My grades were still low because at those young ages I didn't give a rat's ass about school or grades even though I am more than capable of doing the work and getting straight A's.

Wow, how am I supposed to describe my own intelligence without sounding like I am full of myself? I consider my own intelligence at this age to be above average at least, but even making such a statement about myself makes me feel like a smarmy asshole.

You know what they say, "If you got it, flaunt it." Ain't no shame in being clever and being proud of it.

I'd say I was rather slow and below-average intelligence in my early years/grades (K to 5th or so...). I think I started to pick up and be able to learn and comprehend better over time. My grades were still low because at those young ages I didn't give a rat's ass about school or grades even though I am more than capable of doing the work and getting straight A's.

It is interesting that you should say that. Watching the younger members of my extended family grow up it seems the kids that weren't really bothered with school and got low grades early on tended to really improve and sometimes find themselves in the advanced classes nearing the end of their Secondary (High School) education. Where as the kids that where good from the start just seemed to stay at the same level. For one of my cousins she actually dropped down as she got involved with the wrong crowd.

It is interesting that you should say that. Watching the younger members of my extended family grow up it seems the kids that weren't really bothered with school and got low grades early on tended to really improve and sometimes find themselves in the advanced classes nearing the end of their Secondary (High School) education. Where as the kids that where good from the start just seemed to stay at the same level. For one of my cousins she actually dropped down as she got involved with the wrong crowd.

I guess it can make sense. Some kids don't like to do the work or turn it in, or just don't give a rip about it. Due to this they don't tend to really show their real potential. They might be very intelligent for their age, but not do the work.

The ones that do the work that end up bad? I can't think of anything definitive or a good reason for that, but I guess it might be that after working hard in the early years, they just start not caring when the work gets harder.

It can always also mean the opposite, that the child doesn't care about school because they can't comprehend the work or find the work challenging or hard.

I'm the black sheep of my immediate family. Both my sisters are married, own their own house, go to college and have well-paying jobs.

I however...while I married, I ended up seperated and I have a two year old son with me now. As far as the rest of my family goes, I exceed their intelligence...and I like to think of things in this light: "At least I'm better than over 1 billion people in this world, more if you include those who have died". Like for example, I'm currently stronger than millions of people in the US...though I know there are people stronger than myself, it just happens.

It's like I enjoy ranking myself...I'm definately not at the bottom of the food change, but I have had my share of bad luck. As far as my overall intelligence goes...I think more than others...and unlike 90% of males, I have figured out "Fake emotions" brought on by hormones.

A man, depending on his hormones, will develop attraction and emotions for someone they normally wouldn't glance at...if they crave something. The longer they go without a certain something (doesn't have to be sex necessarily), they'll find uglier people more attractive...and they might even end up in a RELATIONSHIP with these people. Some of these folks even marry right out...and when that need has finally been met, they look at their current situation and wonder "how the fuck did I get here? I can do better than this girl...this life, what the fuck was I thinking?".

For me, it's rooted to my sexual appetite. I tested myself...for example, my wife's sister I found fairly attractive for a time...the longer I went without gratification however, emotions would show up such as wondering if a relationship could be made with the girl...then I ejaculated and all those emotions dissapeared, I didn't even care to think of her anymore.

Basically...I'm smart enough to not let my hormones trick me with fake emotions and listen to what I really love...which was my wife. Unfortunately, I am seperated...but that's a personal story. She's still the only thing I wish to be with...yet she's found another *sigh*.

Listen fellas...if you see a girl walking down the street that you're like "meh" too...then see her walk down the street the next day, you're kind of like "meh...I'd hit it and quit it"...continue..."meh...I'd hit it a few times..."...continue..."I'd wreck that ass, dayum..."..continue..."Man what I'd do to get with that girl..."...continue..."God I need her..."...see the pattern? Now...satisfy the need (likely sexual) and then you see the girl again shortly thereafter..."meh".

I'm so smart, I'm practically retarded.

All jokes aside, I consider myself to be pretty average. I only learn about things that interest me or that I can actually use in my life. I don't care about random things/facts/whatever that do nothing for me.

Edit: I don't feel that I am losing what intelligence I have...but I am only 21, so if I were losing my mind, I would be really f'n concerned.. lol.

Edited by StolenPaper18

A man, depending on his hormones, will develop attraction and emotions for someone they normally wouldn't glance at...if they crave something. The longer they go without a certain something (doesn't have to be sex necessarily), they'll find uglier people more attractive...and they might even end up in a RELATIONSHIP with these people. Some of these folks even marry right out...and when that need has finally been met, they look at their current situation and wonder "how the fuck did I get here? I can do better than this girl...this life, what the fuck was I thinking?".

Well I don't personally agree with this, I think there is more to a good relationship then just physical attraction, but I appreciate your honesty and you obviously have formed the opinion from your own personal experience. So who am I to say what is right or wrong.

However I do not think this has anything to do with intelligence, mating and reproduction are basic instincts. Learning to ignore these instincts for the sake of a happy and successful relationship is something most people learn to do in the end regardless of their IQ.

As I got older my opinion on what constituted 'intelligence' changed. I talk to so many people, they top their university classes in Engineering or whatever and I can barely hold an interesting conversation with them. It's not that they aren't smart at what they do, they just....don't form a lot of thoughts outside what they are being taught?

I dunno, I'm becoming very cynical about the education system, especially within Universities. I mean you look at a girl in my class, she is about 30 and studying Creative Writing. She tops the class in theories and writing her exegesis and all that. But I went to see a sort of open mic thing where she read a story and it was just....she hasn't got it, harsh as it may be to say that. Yet she is told my teachers and all her high grades that she is succeeding. I talked to several people, friends of mine within the writing industry (sounds wanky, but it's true) and they know that her stories are never going to make it...on the other hand I know a guy who was rejected from being entered in the Conservatorium of music a few years back. The stuff he records and makes now, free from a university, is gaining so much popularity and completely eclipsing anything from the Con. The more I think about it I wonder if the result would have been the same had he been accepted into the course....

As for my own intelligence, I read Nietzsche and Sartre and Heidegger and listen to damned Bach and Mozart and Schoenberg non stop. But what I gain from these activities....there is nowhere really to place them and have them sliced up and graded and poured over before a decision is made about whether they are intelligent or not. Their purpose and importance is completely subjective and will differ from person to person.

The short version: So yes over time my opinion of what is intelligence has changed greatly over time. Whether it makes me feel less smart that I can't do trig or algebra sums or remember my elements anymore...no. Re appropriated.

Well... I am still quite young compared to some people here, (19) but I do think I'm quite smart, and for my education... I should say I exceed alot of people on my school. (I have a quite low level of education compared to some people here, who did uni)

I do think you become wiser as the years pass in certain tricks and tips for living. As for intelligence... I guess it depends on yourself, if you finished school and just continue to broaden your knowledge about the certain stuff you learned for.

10 ;)

I was given an IQ test when I applied to the army and my result was very high. But if I took the same test now I don't think I'd do near as well. I wouldn't say I've become less intelligent but as you get older your brain changes as does the way you think about and approach things. Whether or not I am slowly getting dumber... at least for now I still consider myself above average so I'll just be happy with what I have and not worry about what I had.

Off topic but one thing I will say is diminishing in age (and I'm only 21!) is my memory. When I was younger I could recite entire conversations, details about the location like the weather, and even what I was wearing. Not a chance that happens still.

I dunno, I'm becoming very cynical about the education system, especially within Universities. I mean you look at a girl in my class, she is about 30 and studying Creative Writing. She tops the class in theories and writing her exegesis and all that. But I went to see a sort of open mic thing where she read a story and it was just....she hasn't got it, harsh as it may be to say that. Yet she is told my teachers and all her high grades that she is succeeding.

I know where you are coming from here. I know many people that excelled in certain subjects at school, but when it comes to putting that theory into practice they just don't have what it takes. Two examples from my own past are: I received an A grade GCSE for French, yet I can not speak a word of the language. Yes I did well with the theory and exercises while in class but once I tried to apply what I learned in the real world I failed big time. I also studied electronics and did rather well. Back in the day I could write essays regarding any component and how they interacted with the rest of he circuit board. I could plan a circuit on paper but I could not make that circuit a reality as I just didn't have the practical skills to build it.

10 ;)I was given an IQ test when I applied to the army and my result was very high. But if I took the same test now I don't think I'd do near as well.

I never though about taking another IQ test. I did one about 16 years ago and while I don't think it was extremely high, it was high enough above average that I walked around with a smug look on my face for about a month after. It would be interesting to take another and see how much it has changed. It could either put my mind at rest or give me greater cause for concern.

Off topic but one thing I will say is diminishing in age (and I'm only 21!) is my memory.

I have noticed this with myself too. Since I hit 30, if I don't write something down then it gets forgotten. I've also noticed a lot more incidents of walking into a room with a purpose only to find myself standing in the middle of the room with a blank stare wondering why the hell I'm there.

i put myself a little above average. i got 140ish on an IQ test if they actually means anything.

Hahaha, just above average my arse! 140 puts you just below genius level (144). I would be very proud if I got a score that high so don't sell yourself short. Good for you! :D

Edited by Arduous Wolf

I have a pretty high IQ (128) although that just means I'm good at the stuff on that IQ test haha.

I don’t have amazing vocabulary or math skills really, but am good at solving problems/puzzles. I have a lot of knowledge of a few select subjects (i.e. movies, games, ice hockey)

So I guess I'd say above average but nothing special.

My intelligence has definitely plummeted since I left college. Actually, thinking back now, I've been on a steady decline all my life.

Back when I was in nursery, I was the only child who could read and write.

In Primary School, everything seemed too easy. So much so, that I became one of those kids who would never raise his hand despite knowing the answer.

In High School, again I felt smarter than my peers, and for the first 4 years, I just coasted along. I wasn't a bad kid, I just didn't try. Suddenly, by my final year, it seemed as though everyone had caught up with me. I studied, but again, I didn't actually try to learn anything, I just needed it to stay in my head for a little until the exams were over. I hit the middle ground and got mostly C's, and that's purely down to me not attempting to learn.

In College, because I chose to go there, and it's a lot less informal than school, I actually did push myself and got A's. The second year of college however, I fell back into my regime of coasting through and scored C's.

So, overall, I consider myself fairly intelligent, but nothing compared to what I could have been. I wasted so much potential, it's kind of sad really.

Yesterday my sister asked me for help with her GCSE's, and surprisingly enough, I was still pretty competent. Sure, I may have forgotten how to work out the volume of a sphere, but reading through her revision notes it soon came flooding back to me.

In terms of what I do these days to expand my knowledge, well, I have a couple of Philosophy books lying around, three books about the creation of the Universe and one about the Earth. I have a bunch of DVD's about similar subjects.

God, this is like therapy.

TLDR Version: I'm no genius, but I probably could have been.

I'd class myself as a little above average intelligence. I'm not stupid, yet I'm not a brainbox. There's always been people smarter than me, but I always thought of myself as more intelligent than the majority. Not 'top of the class' but a short way off. That's just my opinion of myself though.

I'm above average intelligence, my school life/work and IQ proves that, but since i left school 2 years ago i've seen a few changes. Since i've left my general knowledge has improved a lot, but the thing i've noticed the most is my writing ability. It has really gone down the toilet since leaving school, as well as my memory.

Academically I was considered quite smart, but that stems from me having an above average memory so all I ever had to do for school exams was read a book shortly beforehand and I was done. As for common sense, I'm thick as fuck and can't do a number of obvious things (such as tying a windsor knot) or know obvious things (such as literally anything in the news). My intelligence is probably dropping quite rapidly though, as I've been drinking heavily since I was 15 and I quit education a long time ago :p

Frankly, I've never met a person who considers themselves intelligent to actually be likable, but maybe that's just me. I've worked within both administration and manual labour, and blue-collar lads have always had a lot of charisma and anecdotes that make them a joy to be around. White-collar however...kill me now.

As for common sense, I'm thick as fuck

This is me!

I did a lot better then my older sister in school and as sibling rivalry dictated I had to be a complete smug bitch about it, I used to take every opportunity to rub it in. Her main retort used to be "Yeah well you may be clever but at least I have common sense!" and it hurt because it was true. Academically I did well, but in the real world I was such a naive socially awkward clutz. Anyone that didn't know us probably thought she was being made to look after her retarded younger sister. :p