Good/Bad game?

Really it depends how cheap you can pick it up for

I picked it up for £20 and feel that was a fair price, I certainly wouldnt have been happy if i had paid £40 for it and I will elaborate as to why, I will keep this spoiler free

At many various points the game just feels plain empty, with no atmosphere, You will see what I mean no doubt, then suddenly you will be overwhelmed by enemies, the space marine feels very clunky, his evasive manoeuvres are almost obsolete and pointless, many many times I have been trying to dodge to no avail, I am guessing that this was done on purpose and is probably true to the character as power armor is no doubt heavy but it still blows that you can't effectively evade, the other problem i have is no cover system? wtf is with that, i know ultra marines are supposed to be badass but come on

The story is quite good, some have said its been milked in the warhammer franchise but I certainly didnt see a couple of the twists coming, I didnt find myself as immersed in it as I had hoped though having been a fan of warhammer for some 20 years and that may be down to the voice acting which I feel could have been better, its almost emotionless, i dont know whether that was intentional....

Overall though I have enjoyed the game, I only wish the enemies had been more consistantly thrown at you, its a good fun blow, bash and smash the crap outta everything that gets in your way

It's funny, I am of almost the exact opposite of Darth Bambrox. I thought that the story was a bit cliche. I wasn't surprised or impressed by any of the twists, as they are similar to twists in many other video games. I would post examples, but I'm following your lead of trying to keep spoiler free. On the other hand, I found the game play and the atmosphere to be the strongest points of this game. I stopped to check out background art, sculptures, scurrying gretchins just barely within reach, orcs who hadn't noticed you yet fighting each other, etc. I thought that the setting and atmosphere were outstanding. I also liked the gameplay precisely because it wasn't your typical "strike, evade, cover" tactics. You must kill to stay alive. I loved being immediately swarmed by orcs from out of nowhere, and not being able to hide and strike.

I agree with you that this game is definitely worth picking up cheep, but not at full retail price at this point. But the reasons I like and dislike this game are the complete opposite of yours.

As an adjoiner, the multiplayer has a bit of a learning curve, as the tactics and gameplay are vastly different to Halo, Gears, MW, or any of the other popular pvp shooters, but if you stick with it and learn the game grinding to level 41 is a lot of fun too. Of course, that means either picking it up new (which will make it more expensive) or buying the online pass. But the campaign alone makes this worth a mid-price purchase.

I think its a great game but I would say that regardless of the story or multiplayer I just really love the warhammer 40k universe I actually blew one of my checks from work on just books alone. Now I do wish the campaign had more depth and variety, won't go into to much detail don't want to spoil. I also think the multiplayer is pretty solid and quite fun.

I really liked it. While in a sense it felt slightly lacking in polish, I thought it was a good immersion of the 40k world. Graphics, soundtrack etc aside, I found it really fun to play and had the "one more go" factor that so many games are missing nowadays.

Now to dig out some of my old miniatures and paints... :)

• 1 month later...

Totally worth it. Completion isn't to far off as long as you keep in mind how to play and communicate with other players for the MM stuff.

The story is pretty much what you would expect with this sort of setting, its hard to have something totally original when there is already so much done in the setting and similar settings like it. But there are no weird plot holes or weird explanations for tasks, nothing that leaves you confused as to what is going on.

I honestly feel the graphics are appropriate for the game, voice work is exactly what I would expect from the setting. My only beef is with the vengeance launcher, rather pointless weapon.

Anyway, yes, get the game. Even if you don't play the MM, you can still enjoy the story and get a lot of the achievements solo.

Although I don't play the tabletop game, I do paint WH40K miniatures and love the lore associated with the different Space Marine chapters. Also enjoy the Dawn of War series and this Game just fuels that interest.

The Ultramarines movie could have taken a different route, but like most "first time" productions, hind-sight is always 20/20.

I hoping developers will elaborate on the next iteration of Space Marine as well as correct/fine tune their server issues.

Just my $0.02.

I don't think the conditions of the connection to the game will change much. The game uses the P2P model instead of the client-server model, and Relic shows no interest in paying for the upkeep of a dedicated server.

So all you can do is hope that you are playing with people that have good connections and are not on the other side of the world.

Coming from someone who owns every novel (minus the filthy xenos ones), I can honestly say:

1. The multiplayer is great - violent, fast, intense and what I would expect from a quick space marine conflict. The weapons seem a little unbalanced, but overall good.

2. The story might seem a little empty, but I think this stems from running through needless sections of map that are empty. I think they did this to impart a sense of awe at how large everything is in the WH40K verse.

3. I dislike their selection of the Ultramarines. I am very glad it was not Blood ravens however. They should have had a chapter with a little more character and personality.

Overall - excellent and well worth even the full price of the game.

From what I understand the Blood Ravens were invented by Relic because GW wouldn't let them use the Ultramarines for their RTS game. So it seems like Relic was set on using the Ultramarines in a game from the start.

Ultramarines have a pretty neutral personality, so they were the ideal chapter for introducing the Warhammer universe to the mainstream video game player(who don't even know what Warhammer is). I think the main problem is that there just wasn't enough dialogue in general, every time you pass through an empty area was a chance to have a conversation. There could have been more said during battles too, in fact the Dawn of War games all had a lot more sounds to their battle besides gunfire and shouting. Space Marine could have used a little bit of that Dawn of War polish.

A generic story flow isn't a bad thing if you have decent dialogue. If the game can entertain you with battle scenes, and then entertain you some interesting/funny/dramatic dialogue scenes inebtween, then the game has succeeded in entertaining you throughout the whole experience.

Relic may have taken the script for granted, assuming the player just wanted to get back into the fight fast.

I know theres an institution called warhammer with little metal figures, lots of dices and giant tables to fight wars against each other like a vast tabletop game with very much depth...and thats it

So i was very surprised to see an original game coming from that corner.

The gameplay and the story are pretty good, like the atmosphere and those tall buildings and fog everywhere, you really feel like youre into some mechanic robo driven world. I like the orcs onslaughts because its something else like duck cover shoot. The gameplay isnt flawless, but its okay and absolutely enjoiable.

The multiplayer surprised me the most, because i really liked it where much.

It is quite dynamic playing your favorite bf3 modes with jetpacks and chainswords;d

All in all a good game and definitely worth picking up

Hf

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the game,and i have to say i think the £12 i paid for it new makes it a bargain.The campaign is good once you get used to the health regen system,decent graphics and atmosphere.Never dipped into the WH universe before but find it quite engrossing.The MP is cool too and feels different to the usual same old-same old-just need to keep unlocking better perks/weapons to get the best loadout for the map or game type.Love the 'horde' mode too-all in all its great fun to play with friends

or solo.

Let me know what you think of it after you rent it!!

Keep on gaming people!!:Bounce:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great game in which the greatness is amplified if you're a fan of Warhammer 40k. The story mode is fun, not terribly repetitive, and the story is a bit above average. The online multiplayer is a nice change of pace from your generic and bland Halo/Modern Warfare games. The achievements can be a bit of a grind (particularly finishing all of the weapon challenges) but thankfully they're all boostable, just a bit time consuming.

I think its a great game but I would say that regardless of the story or multiplayer I just really love the warhammer 40k universe I actually blew one of my checks from work on just books alone. Now I do wish the campaign had more depth and variety, won't go into to much detail don't want to spoil. I also think the multiplayer is pretty solid and quite fun.

:whs. if you dont know the WH40k lore you may be a little lost in SP. Also MP is bootable.

• 7 months later...

I got this game for 7$ online (shipping was 3 something) I like it because I get to kill a bunch of dudes at once and its fun because its just a simple game. At times its a little annoying and the fights can be repedative for some people. I think if you can get it for under 10 bucks do it.

• 3 months later...