Coming Over From CoD... Advice?

Floyd.

Alright, so, I've been a CoD player for a long time and have never tried Battlefield. I am a fan of both the cinematic single player and enjoy the occasional bout of multiplayer (that, honestly, I am not very good at, although I have prestiged a few times in each CoD iteration. But we all know time =/= skill). For background, I am not an FPS die-hard; I much more enjoy other genres, but as a self proclaimed gamer extraordinaire (lawl), I find enjoyment in all genres.

Anyway, I'm just wondering: Will it be a rough transition from CoD to BF? Should I go with BF4 or pick up CoD: Ghosts?

Any and all advice you BF people would have for me would be greatly appreciated, even if it is "Go back to CoD, fanboi!" Hahaha. Thanks in advance.

Put your headset on, talk to squad mates, think before you act and above all PLAY THE FUCKING OBJECTIVE.

This game isn't centred around lone-wolfing and K/D ratios (even though it's in the stats; it shouldn't be). Run and gun is CoD; leave that mentality there.

THROW DOWN FUCKING AMMO AND FIRST AID BAGS.

Die with your vehicle; don't bail out out of something if you're surrounded and about to explode. Smart BF players will then shoot you and then repair and capture your tank.

You may be a xxx1337 NoScopezzzzxxxx, but snipers don't win games. If there is one in a squad that's fine for a spotting and taking out targets at long range role. Having 5 snipers in a squad is pointless.

Don't take aircraft just to bail out at the top of a building to set up your sleeping bag, marshmallows and sing Kumbaya for a sniper campout. That's a douchebag move. Hitch a ride instead. Bonus: if you talk to your teammates they may be nice enough to drop you off up there. Then the team doesn't waste a helicoptor!

Beyond that, have fun. I find BF way more enjoyable than CoD, even though I'm a fan of both.

Please, for the love of God, Allah, Abraham, Buddha, Yaweh, Xenu, Joseph Smith, the Statue of Liberty, Freedom, and all that is beautiful and good in this ever expanding universe......THROW DOWN FUCKING AMMO AND FIRST AID BAGS.

Haha, yes, +1 for that response. On a newb note: ammo and first aid bags? This is a new concept to me. Are there classes in BF, or does everyone get the opportunity to help?

I am a support player. Through and through. I hate lone wolfing and I hate objective campers. I am always the person traveling with a group, covering their flanks/back, and getting way more assists than kills. Sounds like I would fit in well with this crowd.

If your in the second seat in a tank/chopper and your driver gets out to repair, don't jump in the driver seat and fuck off in it, been happening to me so much recently. Also if someone is trying to repair YOUR vehicle, don't drive away as fast as you can leaving the rep guy stranded and open to bullets.

Apart from that Grizzled has some great points. It's all common sense really, play the role of your class and don't be a douche :D

Haha, yes, +1 for that response. On a newb note: ammo and first aid bags? This is a new concept to me. Are there classes in BF, or does everyone get the opportunity to help?

I am a support player. Through and through. I hate lone wolfing and I hate objective campers. I am always the person traveling with a group, covering their flanks/back, and getting way more assists than kills. Sounds like I would fit in well with this crowd.

Have you clicked the link in my previous post? Everything that's going to be said in this thread will most likely already have been said in the linked thread - so you can save yourself some time on waiting for replies and just check that thread out :)

Alright, so, I've been a CoD player for a long time and have never tried Battlefield. I am a fan of both the cinematic single player and enjoy the occasional bout of multiplayer (that, honestly, I am not very good at, although I have prestiged a few times in each CoD iteration. But we all know time =/= skill). For background, I am not an FPS die-hard; I much more enjoy other genres, but as a self proclaimed gamer extraordinaire (lawl), I find enjoyment in all genres.

Anyway, I'm just wondering: Will it be a rough transition from CoD to BF? Should I go with BF4 or pick up CoD: Ghosts?

Any and all advice you BF people would have for me would be greatly appreciated, even if it is "Go back to CoD, fanboi!" Hahaha. Thanks in advance.

BF4 is by far the better game IMO.

First, if you like the single player experience, I would suggest that after you install and update the game, you start playing the campaign all the way through to the end. It's worth noting that there are three endings to the last mission and each one awards you a different multiplayer gun, so doing all three is useful.

Then, once you've gotten a bit of the cinematic SP experience and gotten used to the controls, I would recommend you NOT use the quick-match function in MP, but use the server browser to find a custom server that is playing either a map or game mode that is more like Call of Duty ... such as TDM or conquest on Operation Metro / Operation Locker.

Then when you feel comfortable in those game modes/maps ... go into the Test Range (a map in multiplayer where you can practice using weapons and vehicles in peace) and practice driving tanks, APCs, jeeps, 4-wheelers, jetskis, boats, and ESPECIALLY ... planes and helicopters. Almost all Battlefielders will agree, being a good pilot is a LEARNED skill, and having a good helicopter or jet pilot on your team often means the difference between victory and defeat ... especially in the game mode I think you should play next.

That's RUSH. For a CoD player, the best way to describe Rush is to compare it to CoD's DEMOLITION game mode. Although, each match of Rush is really like multiple Demolition games, as in CoD, there are two bomb sites to blow up and when they're blown up, the match is over and the attackers win. In Rush, there is a set of two bomb sites, then another, and another, etc. The number of bomb sites depends on the map, but usually it's 3-4 bomb sites I believe.

But MOST players in Battlefield are playing one of two game modes -- RUSH or CONQUEST (which is similar to CoD's Domination game mode). But for those learning Battlefield, Rush is the next step towards full 64-player Conquest. This is because in Conquest, your objectives aren't nearly as linear as Rush and Rush is a good game mode to start teaching you to work with a team towards objectives ... which even though CoD has objective game modes, teamwork isn't usually required or necessary to complete them. In Battlefield, you're really only as good as your teammates ... if your team wins the match and you have the highest score ... you may have done the most objectives or gotten the most kills (or both), but you couldn't have done that without your team mates.

---

Finally, once you're comfortable in Rush ... I'd say play just about anything, you're ready for BF4 in any form.

Put your headset on, talk to squad mates, think before you act and above all PLAY THE FUCKING OBJECTIVE.

This game isn't centred around lone-wolfing and K/D ratios (even though it's in the stats; it shouldn't be). Run and gun is CoD; leave that mentality there.

Die with your vehicle; don't bail out out of something if you're surrounded and about to explode. Smart BF players will then shoot you and then repair and capture your tank.

You may be a xxx1337 NoScopezzzzxxxx, but snipers don't win games. If there is one in a squad that's fine for a spotting and taking out targets at long range role. Having 5 snipers in a squad is pointless.

Don't take aircraft just to bail out at the top of a building to set up your sleeping bag, marshmallows and sing Kumbaya for a sniper campout. That's a douchebag move. Hitch a ride instead. Bonus: if you talk to your teammates they may be nice enough to drop you off up there. Then the team doesn't waste a helicoptor!

THROW DOWN FUCKING AMMO AND FIRST AID BAGS......

Couldn't have said it better myself. I swear a huge wave of idiot lone gunner "screw my team" players have come to BF4 compared to 3. I always had people throwing ammo or health, now? Pfft. It's a joke. And it seems that everyone is sniping, big or small maps, TDM or objective. UGH

I can say that choosing a squad that has mixed roles during a match is helpful. Don't choose a squad that has 4 other snipers, then snipe, as stated above. Play the objective if you're playing that certain game type. Spot people by pressing LB, especially if playing on normal. And lastly, for good measure....

THROW DOWN AMMO & MED PACKS

Beyond that, have fun. I find BF way more enjoyable than CoD, even though I'm a fan of both.

Please, for the love of God, Allah, Abraham, Buddha, Yaweh, Xenu, Joseph Smith, the Statue of Liberty, Freedom, and all that is beautiful and good in this ever expanding universe......THROW DOWN FUCKING AMMO AND FIRST AID BAGS.

I'm in the same boat as TC, so thanks.

Kind of off-topic, should I throw down ammo and first aid bags also?

This post should so be stickied.