Rate the last book you read

jarheadwayne

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last book I finished was yesterday.

Book called Three Dollars by Australian author Elliot Perlman. One of those books that follows one person through their life through the highs and lows. As with all books of it's ilk it left me wanting to carry on with it after it ended. Not amazing but enjoyable, witty and heart wrenching in places.

The last book I read was In the Earth Abides the Flame by Russell Kirkpatrick. It is book two in the Fire of Heaven Trilogy and was fairly lucklustre in its writing. Every time I would start to get hooked by it the author would do something stupid to force me out of it.

With that being said I am currently reading the third book The Right Hand of God (I bought all three books at once). However I will not buy any more of his books nor can I recommend them to anyone else.

Edited by Jemocasa

I also just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire. I loved it, but I had some problems with it, especially after how unbelievably good The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I really need to pick up the third now.

BTW, Jemocasa, I also read all three of those books, and wasn't really a big fan. I think I just finished them to finish them. I recommend the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie to take that bad taste out of your mouth.

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe. Great non-fiction on Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters (basically the first hippies) and their role in the San Fransisco Acid Wave of the 60s. Wolfe really makes an effort to tell the story in the Day-Glo vocabulary of it's subjects. Somewhat confusing run-on sentences are all over the place, giving Wolfe's writing a unique flare that vividly illustrates the minds of the individuals involved in the story.

I'd give it an 85%.

Terminal World - Alastair Reynolds - 8/10

I normally love everyhting Alastair Reynolds writes, however the ending felt really rushed and with less explanations for stuff than Reynolds normally gives. Had it gone into more dpeth, it could have easily been a a 9 (or even a 10 with some cooler plot twists).

• 2 months later...

Under The Dome by Stephen King.

It was good and an easy read, kind of hard to follow since there were a ton of 'main' and secondary characters and was constantly shifting views throughout chapters and such.

If you're not offended by religion and drug references and some political influence, I say go ahead and read it, if you're easily offended, don't.

• 3 weeks later...