Achievement Guide and Road Map

The BEAst in I

It should also be noted spoilers will exist in this guide/thread

Constructive criticism always welcome; just remember to keep it constructive.

-Estimated achievement difficulty: 2/10

-Offline: 10/10 for 250/250

-Online: 0/10 for 0/250

-Approximate amount of time to 250: Around 10 hrs (special note)

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1

-Number of missable achievements: 0

-Do cheat codes disable achievements? No codes

-Does difficulty affect achievements? No

-Glitchy achievements: No

-Unobtainable achievements: No

Introduction: Welcome to the first expansion of TES V: Skyrim; Dawnguard. In this DLC you will either fight the tyranny of the sun and work with Harkon the Vampire Lord or Isran the founder of the modern Dawnguard. Select whichever 1 you are most comfortable with cause it really doesn't matter which 1 you pick. You will have to use both the werewolf and the Vampire lord at some point to get all the achievements.

Special note: If you are below level {70} you can't get Legendary. This makes the completion alot longer if you left it around level 50 like I did.

Note: In order to start this DLC walk around a city a you will be confronted by a member of the Dawnguard asking you to join them. He will tell you to meet his leader at Dawnguard tower. You can't head straight towards the tower you must use a tunnel/cave near the eastern edge of the map to get to Dawnguard fort. It will be marked by waypoint.

Note: Dawnguards cannot make you a werewolf you must obtain this from the Companions. If you are cured you should be able to talk to Aela the Huntress in Whiterun and become a werewolf again. So if you wish you can become a vampire lord for the story and return to being a werewolf by talking to Aela.

Step 1: Get a facelift

As soon as you load the game after downloading the DLC go straight to the Ragged Flagon and talk to Galathil (Sp?) and you can finally change your character's face. It will cost you 2,000 gold regardless of thieves guild membership. You don't even need to change a thing if you don't want to.

Step 2: Playthrough the Story

This is where you play through the story of the Dawnguard DLC; about an hour into the story you will need to make a choice about accepting Harkon's gift of becoming a vampire lord or not. Keep in mind the Dawnguard can't make you a werewolf.

If you want to play as the story as a Vampire lord:

*Accept Harkon's gift

*Complete the story

*Get Vampire mastered

*Visit Aela at the Companions Guild in Whiterun to make you a werewolf again

*Get Werewolf mastered

If you want to play the story as a Dawnguard:

*Decline Harkon's gift

*Complete story

*Get Werewolf mastered

*Have Serana turn you into a Vampire lord

*Get Vampire mastered

In this 1 playthrough you can also get "Lost to the Ages" as its not tied directly to the Dawnguard storyline. As such it can be done at anytime you wish.

Step 3: Cleanup

In this step just get the remaining achievements. This can either take very little time or a very long time. Some of these you may earn during step 1. In this step you will earn:

*Auriel's bow

*Soul tear

*The other ___ mastered achievement

*Legend

Depending on what level you are this step will take along time. If you are 70+ it could take minutes; if not it will take hours. In order to get a legendary dragon to appear you must be level 70 or higher and it will just be a random dragon assault so it just comes down to exploring while waiting for the legendary dragon to appear.

At anypoint after the "touching the sky" quest you can obtain the Auriel's bow achievement. Just shoot the sun directly with a sunhallowed or blood tainted arrows.

Conclusion:

This isn't a hard DLC just takes abit of time which could take longer depending on your level going into the DLC. So will you stop the tyranny of the sun or help the Dawnguard stop the Vampires?

Edited by KillerBEA

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/908/UP9Uavs=.jpg Awakening 20:gsicon:

Complete "Awakening"

This is the quest given to you by Isran when you go to meet him for the first time at Dawnguard fort. Complete the quest and the achievement is yours.

When you are at the waypoint in the crypt and have some podiums surrounding you; you need to move the podiums until they light on fire. Do this for each one and then press the button on the podium in the middle. A monolith will rise up and some one will comeout.

Quest objectives:

*Find out what the vampires are seeking

*Speak to the Mysterious Woman

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/908/UPxzfvU=.jpg Beyond Death 20 :gsicon:

Complete "Beyond Death"

This quest leads off from the quest Chasing Echoes. In order to enter the Soul Cairn you must gather Purified Void Salts and Ground Bone meal. Both of which lie in the lab.

The ground bone meal should be downstairs on a table across the balcony on which the vessel stands. Sits on the left hand side of the table.

The purified void salts are on the far bookcase on the right hand side upstairs while facing the rest of the room.

Objectives:

*Locate Valerica

*Speak to Valerica

*Kill the boneyard Keepers

*Speak to Valerica

*Follow Valerica

*Slay Durnehviir

*Speak to Valerica

*Follow Valerica

*Retrieve Elder Scroll

*Speak to Valerica

*Return to Tamriel

On your way out Durnehviir should stop you and wish to talk. Oblige and he will give you a shout to summon him to Tamriel which you will need later to earn the Soul Tear Achievement. Just make sure you have his summoning shout before you leave the Soul Cairn.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/908/UP2ThmY=.jpg Kindred Judgement 40:gsicon:

Complete "Kindred judgement"

This leads off of the quest touching the sky. This is also the last quest in the main story for the Dawnguard DLC.

Objectives:

*Speak to Serana

*Confront Harkon with Auriel's bow

*Slay Harkon

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/908/UP2ZgNM=.jpg Lost to the Ages 30 :gsicon:

Complete "Lost to the Ages"

This is a sidequest from the DLC. There are 2 ways to trigger it. You can find a book called The Aetherium Wars or you can go to Arkngthamz and you can meet up with Katria's ghost to activate the quest. This is a somewhat lengthy quest and you will need a good amount of lockpicks and a decent lockpicking skill (I was around 60) Also Bring a crossbow/bow and a good chunk of Arrows/bolts. Projectile style Destruction magic also works for the tonal locks.

The book ''The Aetherium Wars'' can be found:

* Dawnguard fort

* Castle Volkihar Undercroft

* Bard's College

* Hall of the Vigilant

* Ruunvald Temple

Objectives:

*Reach the summit of Arkngthamz

*Solve the Tonal lock

*Claim the treasure of Arkngthamz

*Speak with Katria

*Search for Aetherium Shards

*Locate the Aetheium Forge

*Retrieve Aetherium Crest

*Stand Clear

*Find Aetherium Forge

*Shut off the steam

*Defeat the guardians of the forge

*Speak with Katria

*Use the Aetherium forge

The tonal lock requires a a crossbow to complete. You must shoot each of the 5 parts in a certain order in order to unlock the door. Start bottom left to bottom right to top left to top right to middle.

You also have the option of getting more materials to use at the forge which if you just want the achievement just skip this extra part of the quest and use the forge to make 1 of the 3 items and then the achievement pops when you finish on the forge.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/908/UPyd0H8=.jpg Soul tear 20 :gsicon:

Learn all three words of Soul Tear

You remember Durnehviir the dragon from the beyond death quest? In your conversation with him on your way to leave the Soul Cairn he gives you a shout to be able to summon him in Tamriel. Buy all three words of the shout.

Now each time you summon him in Tamriel he will teach you a word for a shout called soul tear. Summon him 3 times and the achievements yours. The shout must be aimed at the ground while charging the shout otherwise it will not summon him.

The main issue unlocking this achievement is finding a spot to summon him in. Since he needs to be able to fit uninterrupted. The windmills by whiterun worked for me and others aswell the area across the water from Harkon's castle. Also make sure to charge up the shout otherwise it won't summon him.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/908/UP19KOw=.jpg Auriel's Bow 20 :gsicon:

Use the special power of Auriel's Bow

The earliest this is available is after you finish the quest touching the sky. You can do this on the balcony in which you claim the bow. Since the the bow comes with 12 sunhallowed just shoot 1 sunhallowed arrow directly into the sun. You can also do this with the blood tainted arrows you can get from Serana after the story is over.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/908/UPjfwxU=.jpg Werewolf Mastered 20 :gsicon:

Acquire 11 werewolf perks

To become a werewolf you need to playthrough the companions guild from the main game for a little way. If you are already a werewolf when the DLC is installed then you can grind out this achievement before starting either questline if you wish.

If you lose lycanthropsy by becoming a vampire lord you can go back to Aela the Huntress ONCE to get it back. If you lose it again you will need to revert back to a save in which you are a werewolf.

When picking you perks for the werewolf tree do the right branch first as it has has Savage feeding which feed off more then dead humans. Allows for feeding off dead animals like bears, horses and wolfs. This decreases the amount of time between feeding and gives you more things to gain experience off of.

The Ring of Hircine (a daedric artifact) also gives you an extra Werewolf transformation which comes in handy when grinding this achievement as you have less hassle with waiting so you can re-transform.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/908/UPk-O4Y=.jpg Vampire Mastered 20 :gsicon:

Acquire 11 vampire perks

First chance you get to become a Vampire lord is after the quest Awakening. When you take Serana to her father Harkon. Harkon will offer you the gift of becoming a Vampire lord. If you take the Dawnguard route instead Serana has the ability to make you a vampire lord instead. She can change you infinitely.

The only perk I can recommend getting as soon as possible is unearthly will as it will increase the amount of times you can you the area drain attack before having to recharge. Do not have an ally with you while you do this as you need to be the killer, also save the perk night cloak for last as the bats WILL steal kills.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/908/UPseMjM=.jpg A New You 20 :gsicon:

Change your face

Go to the ragged flagon in Riften and talk to Galathil and pay her 1,000 gold. You don't even have to actually to change anything as it pops right away.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/908/UPx5eEA=.jpg Legend 40 :gsicon:

Defeat a Legendary Dragon

It is currently speculated that some where around level 70 is the absolute minimum that a legendary dragon will show up although the higher the level you are the more likely you are to run into one. I had to be 81 in order for it to show up for me. Although nothing is 100% confirmed what the level requirement is. If anyone can confirmation either way what the requirement is please let me know and I will add it.

There are a number of glitches that can used to make leveling easier, but as those might be patched at any point I will not add them to the guide. Gamersheroes.com has a quick leveling guide for those who wish to increase their odds without glitching.

>Gamers Heroes Skyrim Levling Guide<

Edited by KillerBEA

Surely the first thing you should do is go to the ragged flagon and get your face changed because if your a vampire you cant and it takes 1 second only cost 1000 gold and if you like your face you don't even have to change it you just click change face and the achievement will pop whether you changed it or not.

You're right!

Edited by KillerBEA

1 - i might contribute some tips in a day or two

2 - i guess most of the folks have started after they've reached 50 level or so already, so difficulty lever in Dawnguard is (at least for me) is totally irrelevant question :)

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes.

at present i am a werewolf cant i just max out my werewolf tree before starting the dawnguard qestlines and then accept harkons gift and then do the vampire ones thus giving me option to either stay as vampire or return to werewolf after i have finished the questline.

I am in the same boat as Kurgan, still a werewolf from the main story, anybody know?

Well it appears to me that the actual perk trees do not become available until you finish the quest that requires you become a vampire or not. So you basically must progress through the DLC a bit before these achievements are even obtainable.

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes.

at present i am a werewolf cant i just max out my werewolf tree before starting the dawnguard qestlines and then accept harkons gift and then do the vampire ones thus giving me option to either stay as vampire or return to werewolf after i have finished the questline.

Yup. If you are already a werewolf, you will have access to the perks once you start up (transform into a werewolf and press "B" to view the skill tree). after you've maxed it out, talk to Harkon and accept the "gift". Max out vampire skill perks and finish the questline. Talk to Aela of the Companions and she will restore your werewolf form to you.

Good news everyone (I need some confirmation, but it worked for me)! You might be able to get the 11 Vampire perks & 11 Werewolf perks with one character because I gave up beast form for vampire lord form and just recently talked to Aela the Huntress and I was able to tell her I wanted beast form back and now I'm a werewolf again. So IF you can alternate as much as you want (which is what I need confirmed) you'll be able to acquire all 11 perks for both Vampire & Werewolf trees.

Great guide! For people playing as Vampires and trying to initiate the "Lost to the Ages" quest, you could add this (tagged it as a potential spoiler):

[spoiler=ID]When you begin the quest "Chasing Echoes" by speaking with Serana in Volkihar Castle, you will have to enter a back-side, secret entrance. Follow the map marker and, once you enter Volkihar Undercroft, follow the path to the left, going down the small flights of stairs until you see a large door to your right (at the bottom of a small flight of stairs). Enter this room and you will be attacked by Death Hounds. Cross over the little bridge in the center of this room and then head straight North up two small flights of stairs. Turn left (the only path you can take) and head up the small set of stairs and through the door. Directly in front of you, slightly to the right, is a table (an open coffin is standing just to the left of the table). On this table, on the far-right side is the book The Aetherium Wars. Take the book and your Map and Quest log will be updated (under Misc.). If you fail to find it your first time through, you can always return here and grab it later.

I'm sure this will work for non-vamps, too. Just figured it'd help having more known locations to get this quest started.

Edited by XperimntNterror

Just a heads up, if you want, I finished Dawnguard as a werewolf. Serana or whatver her name is offers to turn you. You don't have to reload to the beginning to become a lord. I tested it, I went from Wolf to Lord to Wolf to Lord. Note: Aela will only change you back once.

Also, Galathil is a chick... and it only cost 1000 for me to get a face change.

As for Werewolf Mastered:

What I did was go to whiterun, outside there is a fort infested with bandits. Kill and devour all of them, then when you are full, wait to turn back, then cast soul trap on the dead bodies. This makes them count as another feeding, be sure to let the notification that it counts disappear to soul trap the next body. After that, go to caves and the like. After you get savage feeding, you can eat mostly everything, from there, I went around the plains hunting deer and giants for easy werewolf perks.

Vampire Mastered:

Go around draining everything, 'nuff said.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but unless you have proof or can confirm that it only requires a player to be 70 for Legendary Dragons to spawn, I think it needs a correction.

From what I've read from several other threads, even Players as high as 75 still can't seem to get Legendary Dragons to Spawn. It may very well be that it requires as high as 80. Just thought I'd mention that so people don't get confused/upset.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but unless you have proof or can confirm that it only requires a player to be 70 for Legendary Dragons to spawn, I think it needs a correction.

From what I've read from several other threads, even Players as high as 75 still can't seem to get Legendary Dragons to Spawn. It may very well be that it requires as high as 80. Just thought I'd mention that so people don't get confused/upset.

I have read it several times over that 70 is the absolute minimum that one will appear. If Something comes up that proves otherwise then I will change it. Right now its still speculative what causes them to become available. My friend who is 77 or 78 got his randomly while playing through the story of Dawnguard. I will note that 70 is the speculated minimum but that its not confirmed yet

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/908/UPyd0H8=.jpg Soul tear 20 :gsicon:

Learn all three words of Soul Tear

You remember Durnehviir the dragon from the beyond death quest? In your conversation with him on your way to leave the Soul Cairn he gives you a shout to be able to summon him in Tamriel. Buy all three words of the shout.

Now each time you summon him in Tamriel he will teach you a word for a shout called soul tear. Summon him 3 times and the achievements yours

The main issue unlocking this achievement is finding a spot to summon him in. Since he needs to be able to fit uninterrupted. The windmills by whiterun worked for me and others aswell the area across the water from Harkon's castle. Also make sure to charge up the shout otherwise it won't summon him.

Yo KillerBEA you should definitely add that you have to use the shout on the ground, in other words

-AIM FOR THE GROUND-

(while holding

:rbbut:)

Otherwise it will always stop at the second verse/shout. That's what happened to me. I had problems till someone told me so. For some people that is not obvious since most of the shouts you use are streight ahead horizontal.

Yo KillerBEA you should definitely add that you have to use the shout on the ground, in other words

-AIM FOR THE GROUND-

(while holding

:rbbut:)

Otherwise it will always stop at the second verse/shout. That's what happened to me. I had problems till someone told me so. For some people that is not obvious since most of the shouts you use are streight ahead horizontal.

Will do Blaze!