I hate the Mako

Epic Debaser

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use it for cover thats all its good for lol and the hammerhead isnt that great mass effect should of stayed infintry game imo or they should have a good car

I'm actually ashamed to admit that I don't know how well this works. I've always been afraid to take cover behind it in case of it exploding and forcing a checkpoint load.

Does it not take any further damage while you're no longer in it?

Wow. I read about how much people hated the Mako before playing the game myself and i was dreading getting in one. When i finally got in it for the first time in the game, i didn't notice anything... Am i the only one who had no problems with this vehicle? I haven't played this in a year or 2 so i may be forgetting times it did annoy me, but for the most part i didn't have any problems with it. It could be because unlike most people who like to complain about something in a game like this, i usually just adapt to it.

I'm actually ashamed to admit that I don't know how well this works. I've always been afraid to take cover behind it in case of it exploding and forcing a checkpoint load.

Does it not take any further damage while you're no longer in it?

No..the Mako still takes damage. The funny part is that you wont die till you get in it. Sooo you can use it as a shield, jus make sure you wont need it to finish w/e you're doin>.>.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. I read about how much people hated the Mako before playing the game myself and i was dreading getting in one. When i finally got in it for the first time in the game, i didn't notice anything... Am i the only one who had no problems with this vehicle?.

I get by fine on it too, the terrain on a couple of planets was a nightmare, but for the most part I enjoyed it.

I had no problems using it in combat either, you can knock the Armatures & Colossus over, which was pretty useful on Insanity.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember the first time I landed on Noveria and tried to get thru that tunnel, what pain. But I just recently started playing ME "for real" on this new account and I don't find the Mako to be a pain at all. Noveria was a breeze, you just have to know when to run away and let your shields repair and run far enough to be able to save.

Saving after everything is the key, I've got 36 hours of game time on it now and well over 700 saves. Yes, I save after EVERYTHING I do.

Noveria specifically is easy if you use the cannon (RB) to take out the shields first, you end up killing some of the geth at the same time, do it from a distance. After that it's a cake.

• 1 month later...

the mako does suck but its not really the controls that bother me as it is basically driving a warthog in halo... but it can jump and has the dexterity of a rock... the best I've been able to do especially in light of wanting to get as much xp as possible is to equip someone in your squad with armor made by devlon industries. it has the unique (and unlabeled) ability to completely negate level 1 environmental hazards and reduce level 2 to level 1 meaning you can stay out and shoot on foot longer or indefinitely

EDIT: I have just discovered that I love driving the mako when I'm all zoomed in, it makes it seem faster and like a roller coaster with all the crazy ups and downs

Edited by bakeryfreshgame

I'm finally getting around to doing the Hardcore and Insanity playthroughs for ME (just finished Insanity for ME2 so it got me in the mood to do ME's). Anyway, I fucking hate the Mako in almost every way and, usually, just get out of it to deal with any enemies (except for the turrets) or just speed passed them if it looks like an option (I can't tell you how much I love having to get out of the Mako on planets with Environmental Hazards... eesh). I am wondering about one thing; the end of the game. You know, the part where you have to drive the Mako into that portal and enemies of all kinds are shooting the hell out of you? Even on Casual the Mako is barely able to make it through without being on fire. I'm honestly concerned that this will be the most annoying part of the Hardcore/Insanity playthroughs. I'm at Therum now, to recruit Liara (finished Feros/Noveria/Virmire) and then it's off to the end-game mission. Anybody who has done this have some pointers for how to get the Mako through that gauntlet without being obliterated? You're on a timer, too, so you don't have time to stop and kill anything.

I'm finally getting around to doing the Hardcore and Insanity playthroughs for ME (just finished Insanity for ME2 so it got me in the mood to do ME's). Anyway, I fucking hate the Mako in almost every way and, usually, just get out of it to deal with any enemies (except for the turrets) or just speed passed them if it looks like an option (I can't tell you how much I love having to get out of the Mako on planets with Environmental Hazards... eesh). I am wondering about one thing; the end of the game. You know, the part where you have to drive the Mako into that portal and enemies of all kinds are shooting the hell out of you? Even on Casual the Mako is barely able to make it through without being on fire. I'm honestly concerned that this will be the most annoying part of the Hardcore/Insanity playthroughs. I'm at Therum now, to recruit Liara (finished Feros/Noveria/Virmire) and then it's off to the end-game mission. Anybody who has done this have some pointers for how to get the Mako through that gauntlet without being obliterated? You're on a timer, too, so you don't have time to stop and kill anything.

Perhaps the problem is that you aren't spending enough time driving the Mako to get used to it! ;)

Seriously, though, if I can get through the gauntlet then anybody can. I don't think there's much difference, if any, between running the gauntlet on any difficulty level. Just charge through as fast as possible and try and veer out of the way of any missiles. Also, where you know enemies are going to appear try to keep to the same side that they are to narrow their shooting opportunity, and it doesn't hurt to keep shooting even though you don't really have time to aim. I made it first time all 3 times so it can't be all that difficult, but then I quite liked the Mako once I got used to it.

Perhaps the problem is that you aren't spending enough time driving the Mako to get used to it! ;)

Seriously, though, if I can get through the gauntlet then anybody can. I don't think there's much difference, if any, between running the gauntlet on any difficulty level. Just charge through as fast as possible and try and veer out of the way of any missiles. Also, where you know enemies are going to appear try to keep to the same side that they are to narrow their shooting opportunity, and it doesn't hurt to keep shooting even though you don't really have time to aim. I made it first time all 3 times so it can't be all that difficult, but then I quite liked the Mako once I got used to it.

You're probably right ;). I finished my Hardcore playthrough last night and when I got to that part, I just waited at the top of the hill before initiating the timer until my shields were fully recharged (forgot how long that takes). Made it through before my shields were even taken down.

I don't think the Mako would be so bad if it had more "weight". Even if you hit the smallest obstacle, it either shoots up into the air like a rocket or does 6 barrel rolls across the ground. And when jumping, it becomes very difficult to keep it from landing sideways. Would've been awesome if the areas weren't so straightforward and you had some branching paths where you could just opt to run through those areas on foot (for those of us who just don't like that damn thing), but I suppose Bioware was pretty proud of it's inclusion. Oh well. There have been worse things to deal with in other games. :)