Unlocking items

Eating Machine

Sometimes it seems like a slot machine where there are winning sprees where a few packs in a row delivers some great stuff. Like I'll go 10 packs without any gear and then I'll get 3-4 in a row with gear (or ultra weapons).

I thought this was funny:

?ui=2&ik=e80a43def7&view=att&th=138d44743a231f32&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_yYysC-rI8ts8IMEM2vuMo&sadet=1343591474026&sads=9PN4PKCuhYT_10Kn9nDFyATWFNs

That's a Veteran Pack...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my personal experience with buying PSP's, it seems like I get better things when I buy 1 PSP rather then saving up some credits and buying multiple ones. An hour ago I bought 3 in a row and got mostly gun cards for guns I don't use but did get a new customization option for the Male Quarian Infiltrator which has been my new favorite character so I was happy with that.

But in the past when I have bought only 1 PSP the second I get enough credits for one, i've gotten characters I wanted, guns I wanted, and have even gotten 2 ultra-rares in one pack.

But it is all complete luck. Some days it might be with you or it might be against you.

But it is all complete luck. Some days it might be with you or it might be against you.

Yep, there's no other way to look at it. I think this thread is more of a support group for people who love this game and refuse to quit to share our disappointments along the way. Every few days we have to tell each other what's happening and make sure someone else is still taking a beating on buying packs as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So I know the item unlock system is random, but has anyone else had weapons upgrades unlock faster once they unlocked the initial level 1? What I mean by this is, it took my literally 4 months to unlock the geth plasma shotgun. Now that i've unlocked it, i've gotten it up to level 4 within a few weeks. Same with the Cerebus Harrier (ultra rare I know) but I unlocked it last week, and have gotten it up to level 3 already. I'm missing many of the regular rare weapons and A LOT of the ultra rares.

Does anyone think there is merit to this, or did the randomness just happen to be coincidence?

So I know the item unlock system is random, but has anyone else had weapons upgrades unlock faster once they unlocked the initial level 1? What I mean by this is, it took my literally 4 months to unlock the geth plasma shotgun. Now that i've unlocked it, i've gotten it up to level 4 within a few weeks. Same with the Cerebus Harrier (ultra rare I know) but I unlocked it last week, and have gotten it up to level 3 already. I'm missing many of the regular rare weapons and A LOT of the ultra rares.

Does anyone think there is merit to this, or did the randomness just happen to be coincidence?

Seems like a bout of good luck, though on that idea I keep getting the Salarian engineer now when it took over a month before to unlock him.

I think someone at bioware watches our posts and has a machine to read our thoughts and once they have all this information they dish out the crap we dont want and throw us a level one of what we want after spending millions on this bloody random joke of a system.

The first ultra rare was a paladin and I loved it, then I went on to unlock 30 plus ultra rares and none of them was a paladin then I got it to level 2. I have since unlocked another 30 ultra rares and paladin is still at level 2. I wanted the black widow since everyone was raving about it and guess what level its at. Fucking 2.

Most of my other weapons are around level 7 or 8 apart from the new typhoon and particle rifle.

And before people say im lucky to have all those ultra rares, dont because I have spent stupid amounts on sp and psp.

Having a heck of a time getting uncommon rank gear like engineering kit, odd considering I have almost all the rare ranks items completed as well as all characters and weapons mods.

PSP's only gets me more IV Consumables it seems, do I really have to just buy more veteran or even recruit packs instead to get the lower level items?

Having a heck of a time getting uncommon rank gear like engineering kit, odd considering I have almost all the rare ranks items completed as well as all characters and weapons mods.

PSP's only gets me more IV Consumables it seems, do I really have to just buy more veteran or even recruit packs instead to get the lower level items?

Well in veterans you are guaranteed to get uncommons. I bought them exclusively for a couple of weeks and got all my common and uncommon weapons/characters maxed out and a heap of gear bonuses. Oh and about 200 of each of the consumables. Well worth buying them for a while imo

There's a thread somewhere on the Bioware forums that recorded drop rates for different types of items after millions of credits spent. It concluded that the drop rate for gear is most likely bugged since it was found to be only slightly more common than Ultra Rare weapons, which is obviously ridiculous considering they're only uncommon/rare items. Not surprising if true considering things like the missing DLC mods. General tip for obtaining DLC specific items is to get a good amount of credits, uninstall all DLCs that don't have the items you want, then buy PSPs. Reinstall DLC when done, won't mess up your file or anything at all. This was how I got the typhoon and all Earth characters on launch day, works like a charm. For gear, it's really just luck with veteran packs unfortunately :(

There's a thread somewhere on the Bioware forums that recorded drop rates for different types of items after millions of credits spent. It concluded that the drop rate for gear is most likely bugged since it was found to be only slightly more common than Ultra Rare weapons, which is obviously ridiculous considering they're only uncommon/rare items. Not surprising if true considering things like the missing DLC mods. General tip for obtaining DLC specific items is to get a good amount of credits, uninstall all DLCs that don't have the items you want, then buy PSPs. Reinstall DLC when done, won't mess up your file or anything at all. This was how I got the typhoon and all Earth characters on launch day, works like a charm. For gear, it's really just luck with veteran packs unfortunately :(

Only applicable if you are missing rare weapons/characters. All I need are gear upgrades and VR weapons.

It concluded that the drop rate for gear is most likely bugged since it was found to be only slightly more common than Ultra Rare weapons, which is obviously ridiculous considering they're only uncommon/rare items.

It's only the Earth DLC rare gear that almost never drop, I maxed out the first wave of gear very quickly from PSPs.

Only gun I'm still missing is the Talon now. I'm probably going to give up on it until the next DLC hits, diminishing returns are kicking in with all the LV4 ammo I keep getting.

I can easily believe that, a few weeks ago I found I was unlocking ultra rares far more than gold or silver gear. Then that stopped and I now get them about the same rate. This is all from sp and psp. I stopped trying veteran packs as I never unlocked a single silver gear in them and theres zero chance of unlocking an ultra rare.

I started to buy sp from last friday and noticed that I was now getting silver and gold gear in them with like 1 in every 4-6 sp bought. I think I spent over 3 million since last friday and have got around 10 silver/gold gear but not a single ultra rare. Looks like it has flip over to giving gear but no ultra rares, well for me it has.

Anyone hear that needs gear I would recommend spending in sp.

Good luck guys

Is anyone else starting to suspect that Bioware purposefully increases the chances of UR dropping right after new dlc comes out. I saved up about 2 mil credits for Earth and got 5 URs from the initial purchase and one more later that day after earning some more credits. I got 2 more the rest of the week, and then only 1 in the 3 weeks afterwards. The only things that have changed since then is Earth is no longer new and I finally maxed out all my characters, non UR weapons and non Earth gear bonuses. Either getting only level IV ammo screws up UR drop rates or Bioware is delibrately fixing it so people get great drops for a week then a giant middle finger afterwards.

I really believe something is going on and that this not just horrible luck on my part so, I am going to save up all my credits from now until Bioware fixes the missing weapon mods just to see if I can get some decent UR drops.

Edited by Elarris
trying to be contructive and not just ranting

Is anyone else starting to suspect that Bioware purposefully increases the chances of UR dropping right after new dlc comes out. I saved up about 2 mil credits for Earth and got 5 URs from the initial purchase and one more later that day after earning some more credits. I got 2 more the rest of the week, and then only 1 in the 3 weeks afterwards. The only things that have changed since then is Earth is no longer new and I finally maxed out all my characters, non UR weapons and non Earth gear bonuses. Either getting only level IV ammo screws up UR drop rates or Bioware is delibrately fixing it so people get great drops for a week then a giant middle finger afterwards.

I really believe something is going on and that this not just horrible luck on my part so, I am going to save up all my credits from now until Bioware fixes the missing weapon mods just to see if I can get some decent UR drops.

I agree with what you said about drop rates increasing on dlc dates and sometimes operation weekends. If you want the new earth gear then sp I found was the best bet to unlocking both silver and gold. As for UR its the same as usual, not much luck for me unless I buy a S**t load of packs.

I agree with what you said about drop rates increasing on dlc dates and sometimes operation weekends. If you want the new earth gear then sp I found was the best bet to unlocking both silver and gold. As for UR its the same as usual, not much luck for me unless I buy a S**t load of packs.

Don't know if it is this operation or just good luck but I spent about 400k and got 2 URs yesterday. That was buying spectres and a few recruits for xp. I also got 1 each of uncommon and rare earth gear.

Don't know if it is this operation or just good luck but I spent about 400k and got 2 URs yesterday. That was buying spectres and a few recruits for xp. I also got 1 each of uncommon and rare earth gear.

All I need now is UR and I bought 37 psp one after the other and got 7 URs

Thats one UR in every 5.3 packs

The first 20 packs only got me 2 URs then the last 10 packs got me around 4 URs

• 3 weeks later...

I have had about a week or more break from the game and returned for the event. This saturday I bought 5 psp and got 2 ultra rares back to back. Then sunday I bought 16 psp and got 2 back to back ultra rares in the first 5 and another 2 back to back ultra rares in the last 5 purchased. Thats a good return.

Later on sunday I bought around 20 or more psp but not all in one hit and got nothing. My theory is that on event weekends or dlc drop dates the drop rate increases. Another thing I have noticed is that for the most part in the first 10 psp you buy in one hit you get 1 or 2 ultra rares then after that you have to spend around 20 psp to get anything.

I would advise to maximise ultra rares when everything else has been maxed out to spend 1 to 1.5 mil on psp or until you unlock 2 ultra rares which ever is first then save you credits for the next day.

I wish I had done that on sunday rather than keep on spending. Anyway Im close to having all the ultra rares maxed out and hope my theory helps.

EDIT: I forgot to take into account that I promoted 5 or 6 characters on sunday, maybe that could have had a bearing on me getting 4 ultra rares in quick succession.

Edited by Eating Machine

Right now I'm trying to decide how to go forward with my purchasing. I have all common weapons maxed out and have unlocked most of the characters including DLC (got 2 geth, a batarian, vorcha and about 5 of the N7 characters this week alone).

Looking strictly at guns, I have all common maxed out like I said, uncommon is shockingly bad. I have 2 guns at levels 4 and 5 (sniper and shotgun). Most uncommon are level 1-3. Golds are all level 1-4..

Do I switch over from premium spectre to veteran to try and unlock my uncommons or just stick with PSP and go for the gold/n7s? I bought 4 veterans this morning and got some helpful AR mods and a level 1 Vindicator which had eluded me all this time. I don't care about getting everything unlocked, I just want a better Assault rifle for silver/gold matches. I stick with ARs because the Avenger X is light and doesn't mess with my power cooldowns.

In the end, does it even matter? I can dominate on silver and do pretty well on gold even. I got into a gold match this morning with a dude whose N7 was 3574 and he was rocking a Shuriken X and Katana X.. 2 common weapons, and scored over 100k points. I scored over 80k with my human male engineer.

Edited by jae200

Right now I'm trying to decide how to go forward with my purchasing. I have all common weapons maxed out and have unlocked most of the characters including DLC (got 2 geth, a batarian, vorcha and about 5 of the N7 characters this week alone).

Looking strictly at guns, I have all common maxed out like I said, uncommon is shockingly bad. I have 2 guns at levels 4 and 5 (sniper and shotgun). Most uncommon are level 1-3. Golds are all level 1-4..

Do I switch over from premium spectre to veteran to try and unlock my uncommons or just stick with PSP and go for the gold/n7s? I bought 4 veterans this morning and got some helpful AR mods and a level 1 Vindicator which had eluded me all this time. I don't care about getting everything unlocked, I just want a better Assault rifle for silver/gold matches. I stick with ARs because the Avenger X is light and doesn't mess with my power cooldowns.

In the end, does it even matter? I can dominate on silver and do pretty well on gold even. I got into a gold match this morning with a dude whose N7 was 3574 and he was rocking a Shuriken X and Katana X.. 2 common weapons, and scored over 100k points. I scored over 80k with my human male engineer.

You would unlock the silver and common guns alot faster with recruit and veteran packs and its more cost effective if thats all your going for. You can manage with those guns on the harder levels but if you play the game for a while then I think you would like more variety and would end up wanting the gold and ultra rare guns. Only way to get ultra rare is through sp and psp. My opinion would be if you already have classes speced out that you can manage with, then go for the sp and psp to get some rares that you might enjoy. Different weapons will change your way of playing with different classes and powers and it helps give longevity to the multiplayer. At least for me it has.