Walkthrough

EXM9000

Getting the Old School achievement is not difficult. You can do it easily on a second play-through or get it the first time around while following a guide. By running (LT or RT), fast-forwarding through dialogs and cutscenes, and pausing the game as needed (the start button pauses the six-hour timer), you can finish this in less than four hours. This walkthrough is specific to the Xbox 360 edition 6-hour run and has all the Do's, Grabs's, and Talk-To's for the full 1000GS. It has been recommended you delete previous Syberia 2 game saves prior to making your 6-hour run. So, story be damned - let's get to it.

Chapter 1: Romansburg

Platform:

Move toward the camera and continue to exit the train screen-right. Move down the platform one screen and activate the lever there to learn that it's not working. Continue down the platform to wind-up the train by turning the wheel and activating the lever. Now speak to Oscar about Train. Go up to the other end of the platform and try the gate there to learn it's locked. Now return to where you started on the platform and enter the store. Speak with Colonel Emeliov about Coal four times and about Key twice. Inspect the broken candy machine on the counter to find the Small Key. Go down one screen and inspect the three candy machines. Use the small key on the right-most machine's money drawer to gain some coins. Use the coins on both the left and middle candy machines to gain Katals Candy and Fish Candy (You will need to retrieve the Small Key and reuse it so you can reuse the same coins on each of the two machines). Afterward, take a moment to use your cellphone (LB) to call everyone you know (Mother, Office, Oscar, and Candy). With that out of the way, exit the store and return to the coal dispenser lever. Speak to the girl with the red balloon (Malka) about Key and Candy. Give her the Katalas Candy in exchange for the Gate Key and use it on the locked gate.

Romansburg Low Down:

Once in lower Romansburg, go down one screen (note Malka) and then screen-left to find the Empty Can at the generator. Go back one screen and continue under and to the other side of the platform to find an old wooden fence. Follow it down to a gate and ask Ivan about Gas twice. No gas; so continue following the fence to the Cirkos poster you can pull down and climb through the hole there. Let Youki out of the cage and grab the nearby Jerry Can. Now go back the way you came, fuel-up and start-up the generator, and return to the platform to dispense the coal. After receiving news from Oscar, return to Lower Romansburg and enter Cirkos' Bar (across from where Malka is standing). After the cutscene, you will be back on the train.

Getting to the Monastery

Exit the train and go speak with Malka about Mission and Monastery. Enter Cirkos' and ask Cirkos about Malka and Shroud. Return to Malka and speak to her about Monastery and Help to receive a Token. Go back to that wooden fence and continue past it to the shroud dispenser. Insert the Token, pull the lever, grab a Shroud. Continue to the end of the bridge to hear Kate comment about Warm Clothes and return to the store to ask Colonel Emeliov about Help. Climb the ladder, grab the Winter Clothes, and go into the bathroom back on the train to change into them. Use the Shroud on Hans and then continue on to the Monastery. Follow the path (ignore the Lift) up to the Monk doing laundry and ask him about Hans and about the Bird twice. Go back to the store and ask Emeliov about Help to receive some Birdcalls. Return to the lakeside Monk and give him the Silver Birdcall, grab a Monk's Habit, and then go back and activate the Lift. It's important that you say a few words to the Monk at the top of the lift even though he doesn’t respond.

Monastery:

After speaking to the monk at the top of the lift, activate the nearby candle-making station and grab the Box of Matches. It's really a good idea to make a candle while you're here. First activate the bellows. Open the mold under the valve, select a wick to be placed in the mold (wicks are just left of the pot), and close the mold. Lastly, open the valve, open the mold, and retrieve your candle. Now continue to the courtyard and enter the chapel door to the west. Speak to the Patriarch about the Mission twice, Help, and Shroud.

Brother Alexei Toukianov:

After the cutscene, exit the conversation with the Patriarch and go screen-up and screen-right (through the door) to speak with Hans about Monastery. Then speak with the eavesdropping Monk about Hans and Brother Alexei twice to receive a Scroll and Stained-Glass Mammoth. Return to the courtyard, making certain to grab the Brush from next to the bucket, and continue through the large library doors. Once in the library, go screen-right to spiral down to the lower level. Grab the large stick from the right wall and use it to activate the candles in the 2, 5, 6, 10, and 11 o'clock positions. Now follow the spiral up and use the Stained-Glass Mammoth on the newly opened window. Activate the four moon-phase symbols in the order of bottom, left, top, right and go screen-right to inspect the hot-spot that would be the mammoth's eye. Activate it to reveal a hidden cache and grab Brother Alexei's Book and the Youkol Relic.

Healing Hans:

Now leave the library and head back toward the Lift to retrieve the Shears from the wheelbarrow. Enter the Graveyard located next to the Library. Take a moment to say a few words to grave-digging monk while you're here. Locate Alexei Toukianov's grave toward the back and use the Shears to collect Herbs and Brambles. Go to the candle-making station and make a Herbal Candle and take it back to Hans. Place the Youkol Relic on the table, the Herbal Candle in the relic, and light it with the Matches. Now go back to the Chapel and note the locked gates there just as you enter. Continue to the Patriarch's chamber and grab the Ornate Key and use it on those locked gates. Sound the chapel bell, return to the graveyard to re-position a casket, and then go get Hans to trigger a cutscene. (note: at this point I had to enter into conversation with Hans twice before I got the cutscene to trigger. I think I was suppose to have chat with him after the candle-burning scene.)

Clockwork Horses:

Back on the train again, talk with Hans about Departure to receive the Mechanical Heart. Go back to Cirkos' and use the Mechanical Heart on the horses. Begin by activating the central knob three times to wind-up the device. Note the four pipes each go to a separate quadrant on the mechanical heart and each pipe can be connected to one of three holes. Connect the first pipe to the middle hole and each of the remaining pipes to the top-most hole and give the middle knob a whirl.

Gangcar:

After the cutscene, activate the lever on the platform near the gate to acquire the gangcar. Activate the gangcar and then head back down to the Bourgoff Brother's place. Give the Youki Fish Candy and be certain to grab the Newspaper from the table inside the brothers' shack. Now go back up and re-activate the gangcar.

Edited by EXM9000

Chapter 2: Winter Wilderness

Hunting Lodge:

Follow the path along the river and note the Youkol Altar near the owl. Continue, and when the Youki chases after the beaver, go up one screen to collect some Branches. Take these back to the alter and use them and the Matches to get the Offering. Give this to your Youki so the beaver can finish falling the tree. One screen after crossing the river, take the left fork to discover a busted bridge and a hunting lodge. In the lodge, inspect the fireplace mantel to collect the Fisherman's Guide, Russian Doll, and Hatchet. In the kitchen you will find a Fish Tank on the counter. Head out the back door and activate the fishing rod. Open the tackle box on the right and select the green lure on the top right. Cast your line to the right, under the fallen tree. Once you have your Orange Salmon, head back to the lodge, and after attempting to leave by the front door, use the Orange Salmon on the window there. Now exit by the front door, collect the Fishbone the bear left under the window, and continue back to the busted bridge.

Boris Charov:

At the bridge, use the Hatchet on the post and then the Rope With Plate on the fallen tree to swing across. Follow the path and chase after the Youki until you reach a cliff face. After the cutscene, use the hatchet to start the climb, and after another cutscene, Kate will have arrived safely at the top. The next screen is a 4-way intersection; go south, and after the cutscene, backtrack and go south again to reach the radio tower. Turn the radio on, set the frequency to 0328, and activate the microphone. Now from the 4-way intersection, go west until you find Boris. Speak with him about Train and Flying Wing and then activate the cockpit. Turn the control panel on and use the controls on the left to set the coordinates to 8020 and then launch the ejector seat.

The Train:

Note Oscar's arm poking out of the snow. Board the train's passenger car, pick up the Plan of the Train from near the bed and the Oil Dispenser from the toppled workbench. Take the Oil Dispenser back to Oscar and re-board the passenger car to trigger a brief cutscene. Go back and speak with Oscar to gain some instructions and then return to the passenger car to locate the circular floor plate. Use your cellphone (LB) to give Oscar a call and he opens the panel. Activate the top, middle, and bottom switches.

Igor and Ivan Bourgoff:

Keeping to this side of the railroad tracks, travel towards the owl effigy seen in the distance. Take the Gauze Blanket from the snowmobile and use it on the effigy. Now backtrack to cross the tracks and speak with Igor about Igor and Spirits. Return to the effigy, equip the crampons Igor dropped, and continue up the path. After Ivan appears, use your phone (LB) to call Oscar to ask for help. After the whistle sounds, make for the sled in the upper-left corner and use the Ivory Knife to cut the rope.

Chapter 3: Youkol Village

Youkol Village:

Exit this room and inspect the container to the right of the door to find Reindeer Antlers. Go screen-right and say a few words to the Youkol watching the drums. Go south from here to find a Leather Strap on the ground along the fence-line in the center of the screen. It will automatically combine with the antlers to create a Slingshot. Go back to drums and use the Slingshot on the icicle above the waterfall. Enter the Spirit-Woman's place and grab the Youkol Mask from the back wall and the Prayer Wheel from the table to the left. Now go back and continue past where you found the Leather Strap and inspect the Water Well. Grab the Cork Bung and Empty Flask and place the Empty Flask on the hook. Turn the handle twice and retrieve the Flask Full of Water. Note that the Youki Pens are south of here, but for now, go screen-left twice, cross under the railroad platform, and continue to the cave seen in the distance.

Lemming Tunnels:

Once in the cave, take the fork to Kate's left (south) and then note the harfang perch in the bottom right corner of the screen (this was partially hidden by the inventory-in-hand box on my display). Inspect the icewall just ahead to see a lemming and its tunnels. Place the Cork Bung in the bottom-right-most hole. Now go to the harfang perch to place and activate the Prayer Wheel to attract an owl that frightens the lemming into the tunnels. Return to the lemming tunnels and move the Cork Bung to the hole just in front of the lemming. Move the Cork Bung again to the hole just behind the lemming. Use the Flask Full of Water on the hole above the lemming. Use the Fishbone on the hole in front and above the lemming. And finally, retrieve the Dream Fruit and take it back to the Spirit-Woman.

Corridor of Dreams:

Enter the cave (move away from the camera) and continue until you reach a dark spot on the ground that turns out to be a Mammoth Doll. Backtrack and continue until you reach a courtyard. Speak with Anna Voralberg about Kate, Anna, Hans twice, and Father Voralberg. Go screen-left and continue up the street to enter the factory gate on the right. Turn right at the fountain and enter the estate. Be sure to say a few words to Father Voralberg in the living room just off from the foyer. Afterward, investigate the clock by the stairs. The plate that currently displays XII has switches to each side. Activate the left switch once and the right switch five times to indicate 2:45. Activate both automatons above the switches and nudge the pendulum to get it moving. Now activate the right switch nine times to indicate 7:15. Pull the right weight and finally ring the bell. After Mr. Voralberg leaves for work, return to the living room and retrieve the Attic Key he placed on the table. Go upstairs, enter the attic, and give young Hans the Mammoth Doll. Activate the device on the workbench to return to the present.

Youkol Village:

Exit the Spirit Woman's and head to the train by going north from the Youki Pens (south from the water well). Climb the ladder there and follow the tracks, noting the wooden footbridge and the pair of Youkols you pass along the way. Speak to Oscar about Train twice, Youkol, and Youkol Mask. Attempt to use the hook located at the front of the train. Speak to the nearby Youkols about Oscar and Help. Return to the front of the train and activate the mechanism to take the slack out of the cable. Now go up the wooden footbridge, locate the pair of control levers and pull the right lever. After the cutscene, catch up with the train back in the village and speak with Oscar about Heart. Follow Oscar back to the Spirit Woman's and solve the puzzle of opening Oscar's Heart. The puzzle resembles a clock with the point accented by two dots being 12. Press the 3 and 7 buttons and then press the 3, 6, 9, and 12 buttons to gain the Voralberg Key. Now go back to the train and solve the puzzle of the engine controls. Referring to the image below: Use the Voralberg Key at 1 and activate the controls 2, 3, 4, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9154&stc=1&d=1446180878

Now follow Hans-Oscar to the ark and speak with the Chief about Great Gates. Retrieve the Youki from the pens and bring/follow him back to the ark.

Edited by EXM9000

Chapter 4: Syberia

Ice Shelf:

Exit the ship and pick up the nearby Narwhal Tusk and use it to free the anchor a bit further up. Continue past this point and place the Russian Doll in with some penguin eggs. This draws the penguins so you can use the Narwhal Tusk on the crack in the ice where they had been standing. Back on the ship; move the barrel, go through the door, up the central ladder, and retrieve the Ivory Hook. Go back to the first room, climb onto the barrel and use the Ivory Hook on the post there. Attach the rope to the hook and then pull the lever next to the barrel.

Calling Mammoths:

Exit the ship, go screen-right, climb the ladder, and retrieve the Youkol Medallion from the corpse. Go back and continue screen-left and go down the stairs. Come toward the camera to retrieve the three Stone Plates from the bench. Now go up, away from the camera, and grab the Syberia Flower and another Stone Plate there on the right. Go back to the ship and give the Syberia Flower to the Youki. Now continue past where you found the flower and pull the lever to the right of the gate. Use the image below to solve the upcoming puzzle. Note the fifth Stone Plate is collected from within the puzzle screen.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9153&stc=1&d=1446178752

After placing the stones, turn the wheel and retrieve the Ivory Key. Go past where Hans-Oscar is sitting to the final puzzle. Locate the panel next to the wheel and insert the Ivory Key to reveal the symbols. Then take the Ivory Key and insert it in the second hole of the bottom row. Next, turn the wheel at the end of the device. Lastly move to the side of the device and inspect the frequency settings there. Activate the top middle lever once. Activate the bottom left lever once. Activate the bottom middle lever twice. Activate the double levers on the right. Game over. Cheers!

Edited by EXM9000

Excellent stuff EXM9000, I followed your Syberia 1 walkthrough for my speed run and the all items cheevie which was perfect. Funny enough I just started this tonight so I will be using this as a reference when I go for my speed run. Thanks for putting in the effort as I'm sure it will be as good as your Syberia 1 walkthrough.

Edited by iGoTiT4FrEe

Lemming Tunnels:

Once in the cave, take the left fork and continue to the icewall. Note the harfang perch in the bottom right corner of this screen. Inspect the icewall to see a lemming and its tunnels.

Just pointing out that the ice wall isn't in the left path, it is straight ahead (south one screen) when you enter the cave. (I guess it is on "kates" left but not our left). The left folk (our left) takes you to an open area which does have a harfang perch (to attract the owl to in case you use the wrong hole with the cork bung so the lemming will come back out). I was walking around this other area for 5mins trying to get some kind of interaction along the walls lol ;)

EDIT: Just finished and got the full 1000G, I usually play these on my own the first time and then do a speed run on the second pass but I ended up getting so frustrated with the invisible walls everywhere I just used your guide from chapter 2 onwards. Thanks once again for a great guide EXM9000 and look forward to Syberia III (should be a lot better I'm hoping with the controls/invisible walls as it wont be a game that was ported over).

Edited by iGoTiT4FrEe

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great guide. WOrked well on first game for me, and so far on this one. Really appreciate your work :)

I have a few clarifications that could be added, as I got hung up in a few places:

1) When activating the mechanical heart. You refer to "the first quadrant". I was confused which you were talking about. In math, quadrant one is the upper right. That didnt work, so I figured you meant upper left. Nope. Turns out, you meant LOWER LEFT. Maybe say that instead of the first one.

2) At end of Act 1, you refer to go back "Barsky Brother's", but that was never mentioned in your guide anywhere else I dont think. After a bit, I figured you meant the fenced area with the guys that had the petrol can. Maybe add that hint into the text.

3) Also you mention just to go back to that Bersky areas and to use the Fish Candy, but you don't say what to do with it. I figured use it on one of the brothers, but couldnt find them. You should specify to use it on the SLEEPING DOG.

4) Maybe you can do thru and bold every ITEM/PERSON in the text, just to make it easier not to miss anything. The paragraph structure works OK, but bullets could be better. Anyways, using bold should help with this :)

5)

• 4 weeks later...
I've got the robes from the monk, but cannot find where to enter the monastery. There is no lever to pull.

From where you picked up the robes; go back to the lift. Iirc, it's on the left, in a bend of the trail. The lift lever is there, but it's sketchy/dodgy. You will have to wiggle around a bit to get the hotspot to activate. Hope that helps.

From where you picked up the robes; go back to the lift. Iirc, it's on the left, in a bend of the trail. The lift lever is there, but it's sketchy/dodgy. You will have to wiggle around a bit to get the hotspot to activate. Hope that helps.

Thanks, I got it. I had to delete my save and make a new one because the animation would not register, and I couldn't leave the area.

• 4 weeks later...