Should i get it

The game is extremely dated (graphically), especially compared to Skyrim. Aside from that, it is a great game, and The Shivering Isles DLC/Expansion, was really awesome (IMO). For that price, I say go for it....

This.

Don't be expecting a game on the level of Skyrim (graphics and gameplay-wise) or else you'll feel sorely let down, but for the hours of gameplay you can get from it that is a tiny sum of money to play.

Do it!

I think for 12$ you can't make anything wrong with Oblivion. Fantastic Game, without any doubt. I love it.

But you should be aware that Oblivion feels different. It's graphics aren't that bad, but as the others said, it is outdated. Also the gameplay and combat is not like in Skyrim, but still playable.

(i did the step from Oblivion to Morrowind. It was painful to get into this horrible gamplay and combat system. xD But, it's a great game, though. And i don't think Skyrim -> Oblivion won't be that hard to adapt.)

If you found the numerous mentions of the Oblivion Crisis from Skyrim as an interesting idea, then you will enjoy it. I personally think Oblivion, in terms of story and replayability, is a much deeper game than Skyrim. It is somewhat outdated, but it still looked great when I booted it up about a month ago. It also has several things I wish would've been kept in Skyrim (custom spells, the classic attributes that could be manipulated to make you a walking tank, more diverse enemies, challenge of scaling enemies). Combat is not quite the same as you can go either sword and shield or a two handed weapon (one spell is always active and is used with RB). Overall, I prefer Oblivion to Skyrim any day :) One of my favorite games ever!

• 1 month later...
If you found the numerous mentions of the Oblivion Crisis from Skyrim as an interesting idea, then you will enjoy it. I personally think Oblivion, in terms of story and replayability, is a much deeper game than Skyrim. It is somewhat outdated, but it still looked great when I booted it up about a month ago. It also has several things I wish would've been kept in Skyrim (custom spells, the classic attributes that could be manipulated to make you a walking tank, more diverse enemies, challenge of scaling enemies). Combat is not quite the same as you can go either sword and shield or a two handed weapon (one spell is always active and is used with RB). Overall, I prefer Oblivion to Skyrim any day :) One of my favorite games ever!
I love you for saying you prefer Oblivion to Skyrim. To be honest I hated Skyrim and don't really know why, probably because it's insanely shallowed compared to Oblivion.

I find it more enjoyable than Skyrim for some reason. Mostly because I've played it longer and I know a lot more about it. Also Skyrim really helps you out a lot with perks to make your character more powerful where as Oblivion you just run on pure skill.

The Elder Scrolls series are really good games, try and find Morrowind as well.

I wish I only had to pay 12 bucks for Oblivion:(

Even though this thread is over a month old, I'll add my 2 cents. If you enjoyed Skyrim, then you should like Oblivion. As others have said, the graphics of 7 years ago aren't on par with Skyrim, but even today there's not many games that are. As far as gameplay, it's comparable. While there's no dual wielding weapons, you don't have to spend one of those slots on a spell, as you've always got one equipped. Plus, I feel like it steers you toward actually using more tactics, as I feel like dual wielding leads to button-mashing, which can get very boring.

Story-wise, you can't beat Oblivion. The quest lines are all very good, especially the Dark Brotherhood. None of them feel like petty bullshit like the civil war does (to me at least). Plus you get the Arena, which is a blast to play through and serves as a great way to level your character.

Basically it comes down to you need to go in with different expectations than what you saw in Skyrim. I've started a new Oblivion character 2-3 times a year for the past 5 years just because I got an itch to play while I'm still on my first Skyrim character. Some of the DLC for Oblivion don't add much in terms of play time, but each does add a unique home for your characters (the merchant added by the Battlehorn Castle add-on was worth what I paid without anything else). Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles were both outstanding and add 8+hours apiece.

Basically, for $12, get it.

• 1 month later...

Just be ready for a very different experience from Skyrim in some key areas.

Most people have already explicitly stated, or hinted, at most of them but I will add one more:

The leveling system is significantly different in Oblivion and can make the game much more difficult then it needs to be if you don't pay careful attention to how you level. There are several guides throughout this forum that can help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The game is extremely dated (graphically), especially compared to Skyrim. Aside from that, it is a great game, and The Shivering Isles DLC/Expansion, was really awesome (IMO). For that price, I say go for it....

This.

Don't be expecting a game on the level of Skyrim (graphics and gameplay-wise) or else you'll feel sorely let down, but for the hours of gameplay you can get from it that is a tiny sum of money to play.

Do it!

To me the graphics look better on Oblivion compared to Skyrim. Maybe because Oblivion offers more in the world rather than endless hills and emptiness of Skyrim.

• 2 weeks later...

i think you should NOT get it. this game is a total crap. I'm a big fan of RPG games but this one litterally drove me crazy.

1. Quests are short, meaningless and overlap each other (to me happened that i was going to talk to somebody in order to trigger a quest and another quest triggered instead)

2. the game itself is super bugged. Weird and unexpected things happen all the time and they compromise your quest. the result is an endless frustration.

3. it takes forever to load.

4. if your character gets "vampirism" you are doomed. It took me litterally a week to get a cure for it and instead of fun i got only frustrated because was so freaking difficult.

5. you go to jail for nothing and you have to resume you quest over 1000 times.

6. the controls are not precise and sometimes you die or you go to jail because the camera doesn't point where you want.

7. you cannot fast travel everywhere and everytime you have to move to a specific location for a quest you may be forced to hug useless mountains or walk for hours.

I don't understand why everybody love this game. To me is totally overrated.

Edited by Siphon Filther

Yes, I would highly recommend The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion to fans of Skyrim and RPG games. The graphics do not compare to Skyrim since it is a much newer game. However, I would say that the story and quests in Oblivion are far more superior.

i think you should NOT get it. this game is a total crap. I'm a big fan of RPG games but this one litterally drove me crazy.

1. Quests are short, meaningless and overlap each other (to me happened that i was going to talk to somebody in order to trigger a quest and another quest triggered instead)

2. the game itself is super bugged. Weird and unexpected things happen all the time and they compromise your quest. the result is an endless frustration.

3. it takes forever to load.

4. if your character gets "vampirism" you are doomed. It took me litterally a week to get a cure for it and instead of fun i got only frustrated because was so freaking difficult.

5. you go to jail for nothing and you have to resume you quest over 1000 times.

6. the controls are not precise and sometimes you die or you go to jail because the camera doesn't point where you want.

7. you cannot fast travel everywhere and everytime you have to move to a specific location for a quest you may be forced to hug useless mountains or walk for hours.

I don't understand why everybody love this game. To me is totally overrated.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree wholeheartedly.

1. Quests are short and meaningless? We must be playing a different game. ;) I feel the opposite. You will hear time and time again how great the storyline and quests are in Oblivion. There is a reason for that.
  2. I only recall encountering one or two glitches, which is amazing considering the size of the game. I put in hundreds of hours with more than one character.
  3. Yes, loading times are a tad lengthy, but you are given tips/info while you wait. The wait time has to be, what, 20 seconds at most? I think most people can handle that.
  4. Curing Vampirism is one of the longest quests in the game, but you are hardly doomed. Once you are cured you cannot become one again. If someone is having trouble I recommend a quick Google search.
  5. You only go to jail if you get caught. Sneaking is incredibly easy in this game. If you have to kill someone make sure there are no witnesses.
  6. Huh? Never had any problems like that.
  7. You cannot fast travel unless you have discovered the location. I don't see how that is so awful.

Oblivion was the first game that got me really interested in gaming and achievement hunting. It was the first game I got 100% on as well. :)

Yes, I would highly recommend The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion to fans of Skyrim and RPG games. The graphics do not compare to Skyrim since it is a much newer game. However, I would say that the story and quests in Oblivion are far more superior.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree wholeheartedly.

1. Quests are short and meaningless? We must be playing a different game. ;) I feel the opposite. You will hear time and time again how great the storyline and quests are in Oblivion. There is a reason for that.
  2. I only recall encountering one or two glitches, which is amazing considering the size of the game. I put in hundreds of hours with more than one character.
  3. Yes, loading times are a tad lengthy, but you are given tips/info while you wait. The wait time has to be, what, 20 seconds at most? I think most people can handle that.
  4. Curing Vampirism is one of the longest quests in the game, but you are hardly doomed. Once you are cured you cannot become one again. If someone is having trouble I recommend a quick Google search.
  5. You only go to jail if you get caught. Sneaking is incredibly easy in this game. If you have to kill someone make sure there are no witnesses.
  6. Huh? Never had any problems like that.
  7. You cannot fast travel unless you have discovered the location. I don't see how that is so awful.

Oblivion was the first game that got me really interested in gaming and achievement hunting. It was the first game I got 100% on as well. :)

Dear friend.

I insist on the subject and I want to be more specific about why I don't like this game at all.

1. About the first point. ok maybe I said wrongly. Quests are actually long but you spend 90% of the time just walking... walking to get the location, walking through some intricate dungeons that look all alike, walking for miles and miles and for what? to kill a couple of enemies at the end of the dungeon or retrieve some artifacts. So I correct myself, quests are not short, just boring because of the long meaningless walk :)

2. About the glitches my experience is different form yours: just for the record I've been playing final fantasy 13, which is 4 times bigger than Oblivion. It took me 172 hours for the completion but I never EVER had any problem, i haven't even spotted a single typo in subtitles. In Oblivion, after 70 hours, I got something like 10 blocking issues whose results was either to start over the quest or find a way on the internet to complete it. And I still haven't finished the game. :) :) Most of the issues were caused by the characters that were not responsive or the game freezed without reason, or entered in a loop (for example in "allies for bruma", count of Skingard never showed up even though I was told he would be there shortly and when after 2 days waiting (game time) I went to look for him in the castle I got arrested for trespassing. When I finally made it without being caught, i talked to him to obtain infos, but the quest didn't update and I couldn't continue because the map marker was out of place). The last quest of the thieves guild has something like 16 known issues (16 functional bugs in one single quest!!!), partially fixed by the unofficial oblivion patch that fixed other 1800 bugs, again, most of them, functional. 1800 bugs means that this game is full of holes.

3. My waiting record for loading a location is exactly 4 minutes and a half. It takes less than 20 seconds only if I'm relatively close to my destination (when I cross a door for example) but if I have to fast travel among cities it takes really forever to load, average i would say more than a minute each time... and reading the tips in those moments doesn't make the time pass faster, also because after a while you learn all of them by heart.

4. I got rid of vampirism only finding the right informations on forums. if you play oblivion for the first time and you never heard about vampirism (like me) you just keep dying without reason, which is really frustrating. To find a cure you must travel from city to city and you end up just travelling here and there constantly looking for some beggars to suck blood from and always scared you don't have enough time to complete your task. Add, the loading time, add the waiting time, add the "messing around" time, add the inevitable "jail time" and you'll have a game in which you actually do nothing but waiting and walking around...

5. You go to jail for stealing, for attacking somebody, for trespassing and for a number of other reasons and everytime you resume the game from the jail you miss some items because they have been confiscated. That force you to repeat the quest, or at least part of it.

6. Never heard of it? not even when you have to swim underwater and the camera is either above your head and your character gets stuck because the RS doesn't work anymore or under your body and you don't see where are you going?

7. In Oblivion you travel a lot. But you cannot fast travel if: 1-you are inside a house\shop\tavern\dungeon; 2-you haven't found the location. 3-there are enemies around. 4-you are trespassing. 95% of the cases you are in one of those situations. That means the vastity of the oblivion world map is more something to regret than to enjoy.

I'm a big fan of RPG games, and I love doing quests and I choose oblivion because everybody says it's a blast. But for the above mentioned reasons this game is literally making me furious instead of entertaining me. I'm open to admit that since my opinion doesn't match with most of the game community, I may have missed something and actually one of the good things of this game is its story line which is pretty well done. But 70 hours of gameplay didn't made me fall in love with it :)

Edited by Siphon Filther