Is it me or my guitar?

Tarento

I can't get the Harmonics down for s**t! I keep getting ~5,000 on the technique challenge and I can't get past the 2nd round of the harmonically challenged guitarcade, even with practice and help of youtube videos.

I have this guitar [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Guitar-Package-Instructional-GA1065/dp/B000WY3HPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320610179&sr=8-1]http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Guitar-Package-Instructional-GA1065/dp/B000WY3HPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320610179&sr=8-1[/ame], and it is a cheapo, but maybe it's my fault I can't do this technique?

you know it can be that or if the guitar is just not propérly "set up" like the Intonation, action etc... that can effect it.... My first guitar over 20 years ago was not set up. I had problems getting natural harmonics on the 5th fret ... hope that helped some.... if anything take to guitar center or a music store and just let them look at it. :drunk

I have problems with them too. Mostly just the fifth and sixth strings. I'm not the best in the world at harmonics though. I almost never practiced them before. They're just not part of my style.

Before this game, I knew what they were and I knew how to play them but I have trouble getting them to register alot. And for the Harmonically Challenged game, there's no room for error. So, I guess, all I can just tell you is that they require practice.

While I had no problem with the technique, I scored around 100k, I think the harmonically challenged game is pretty flaky. I can't get past the second round either.

But I would definitely rule out it having anything to do with your guitar. Every guitar can produce harmonics, and because it is not a fretted note, it cannot be related to the intonation of the guitar.Your guitar may be out of tune, and the in game tuner might be giving you credit for being close enough. Even though it is not close enough for the challenges to register properly. I would start with just practice. Try producing harmonics on your guitar unplugged. They should be nice and clean with lots of sustain. Watch some YouTube videos on technique too.

same i have tons of trouble with the harmonic game... first time i played i got to level 10 or something with all perfects... since then i can barely pass level 1 without blowing up

i passed the technique challenge without any trouble through... but i did have to play it a few times to get the points up

• 1 year later...

I don't know why, but my the game absolutely REFUSES to register my 5th fret natural harmonic on the high E string. It'll get the 7th fret one and the 5th fret on the B string, but not on that E. And I can hear that the pitch is right compared to what the song is doing. I finally managed to BARELY pass the harmonic challenge (by about 900 points), but it's frustrating nonetheless.

You should check your intonation although at times it is also your action which, depending on your bridge, you may or may not be able to adjust. I noticed that when I tried to do harmonics, I needed to do them higher than where it should be. I changed the intonation and adjusted my action slightly and the problem was solved.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...