What rating would you give this game?

Slaughter.

What rating would you give this game?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give this game?

• Worst game ever (1)
    • Pretty bad, but not worst ever (2)
    • Awful (3)
    • Below average (4)
    • Average (5)
    • Slightly above average (6)
    • Great (7)
    • One of the better games I've played (8)
    • One of the best games I've ever played, but it has a few flaws (9)
    • Dark Souls = Best Game Ever (10)

Easily the best game this generation for me unless Dark Souls II makes it even better (sorry Demon's Souls fans, I played Dark Souls first and while I enjoyed Demon's Souls, too, once I had the chance to play it, Dark Souls took the formula and made it better).

There aren't many games anymore that actually have RTFM written all over them (Read The Fucking Manual, for any who don't know what that is); people are mentally atrophied this day in age, but I digress. In any case, even if you don't RTFM, they put message all over the Tutorial area and then spattered throughout the rest of the game. They took a very old-school approach and, rather than hold your hand, nudge the player in the direction of learning how to play. If YOU choose to be hasty and skip over everything, that's fine, but you will probably see more YOU HAVE DIED screens than players who took the time to read the manual, read the messages, read item descriptions and listen to dialogue from the NPCs. In this game, patience is a virtue... but you're still gonna die. That way you feel like YOU accomplished something and you weren't treated as though you can't think for yourself for the sake of "accessibility". It's genius and I wish more games were like that. That is what really makes the game hard for some.

You want easy-mode in a game like Dark Souls? You can have it. Summon other players or NPCs for troublesome areas or bosses or to help with taking on invaders. I started a new character after finishing NG7 with my original character and summoned for the first several bosses leading up to Anor Londo, just for fun and variety, and it was incredibly easy to get co-op partners at the lower levels. The game already has easy-mode built-in, for those that want it. You can even cheese most of the bosses and, at least in one case, I think From allowed that intentionally (I'm referring to the Ceaseless insta-kill "glitch"; I don't think it is a glitch at all being that they didn't patch it out with 1.06, but that's just my opinion).

It's a no-joke challenge for everyone with thousands of deaths to be had, but the sense of accomplishment when you beat just about anything the game throws at you has no comparison to other games this generation. Everything else just falls flat.

9/10 from me. The auto-lock is a little troublesome and has led to may accidental deaths due to falling and can sometimes just be down-right out of control, but that is probably my biggest complaint with the mechanics of this game. The only other complaint is the absolute cheesiness of The Bed of Chaos.... completely annoying to fight it.

Edited by XperimntNterror

Personally I'd give it an 7. I don't have it anymore because I returned it in a fit of rage, but I still want to play it now... I might get it again in the future.

First off let me state that it's not my intent to insult in the slightest, this is just where I stand when it comes to determining whether or not you can rate a game fairly.

Comparing games you have 4 achievements out of Dark Souls, meaning you didn't get to the point of even ringing the first bell. With that in consideration, you barely played the game enough to review it or make any kind of reasonable determination about it as you barely saw anything the game had to offer as you likely didn't advance past the first part of the game or even got past the first boss.

It's like watching the first 10 minutes of a movie, turning it off and writing a full review of it. I expected that you made close to a full playthrough when I saw this thread but that's not the case, it's similar to playing Fallout 3, never leaving the first vault in the game, and posting that it was just "okay" and moved on from it.

If it was too difficult then state it wasn't for you, but you can't legitimately start a "review" thread about it with your own score when you barely touched it.

I played on my other profile before I got this one that I'm using now. Another thing is that when I went on a business trip and stayed at a friends house for a few weeks we pretty much played Dark Souls whenever we got the chance.

Ahhh gotcha, you played it before November 2009 when you made this account when the game came out in October 2011. K makes sense.

Not that big of a deal, like I said it was just my opinion, don't gotta make stuff up to justify your "review" of this game.

• 2 weeks later...

Its the best game this gen for me. It tore me out of my comfort zone in order to see more of what the game had to offer. I wanted to see what was next so bad that I overcame the difficulty curve that had put me off for so long.

This game has a few little flaws that I will digress bother a little, but not enough to knock a full point off. So its a 10/10 for me. The lock on while vs-ing fatties could be improved a lot, I have accidentally rolled into fatties butt slams a few too many times thanks to the lock on system. My only other gripe is the choose how your stats progress, I prefer a use it; it gets better system, but that's not something that bothers too much just more of a preference.