BAR reset fix coming

Quid Squid

EDIT: Patch has been confirmed by GBX to be coming out tomorrow 12/13

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=3348237&postcount=2935

This was posted over on the Gearbox Borderlands forum today:

We're almost done with the fix for this!

It should be releasing on PC first with consoles to follow, given that the testing / certification process for consoles is more lengthy.

Here's how we're planning for it to work: (after the fix is in):

*deep inhale*

Whenever you select a character and press "Continue" (or load into a level that's not the Main Menu) we will check to see if all the challenges you completed for that character add up to more BadAss rank than your profile currently has.

Then (and only then), the game will bring your BadAss rank up to the correct value based on what your savegame reported, search your challenge and mission information and make sure you that you have all the skins and heads you would have been rewarded from those challenges/missions!

It will also mark your profile as "having been lost at some point in the past". This means that whenever you load other, different savegames the game will perform this same process and adjust your BadAss rank accordingly each time, once per savegame, for up to a maximum 16 savegame slots, depending on how they're numbered. (I'm particularly proud of that part )

It's important to remember that this check will only occur when you load a character and press "Continue" or join a game. This fix up does not run unless you Continue or join a game.

So, if you were one of the people affected by this issue and have 5 different characters, make sure to load each one up and press "Continue", enter the game, see your BadAss rank increase, and then Save and Quit! After you repeat this process for each character your BadAss rank should be completely restored, and your heads and skins will be restored, minus the ones you found on the ground.

Please understand that this is the best we could do given the information available and our many constraints! I'll be checking this thread as often as possible in case you have any questions.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=150243&page=203

Also mentioned this next patch will fix Master Gee freezing. It is still possible you can lose skins/claptrap stash/golden keys after this, but should be less frequent.

Unfortunately, our testing has not indicated that there is a specific way to avoid occurrence of the issue until we get the code update out there. That particular update is already out on PC, with restoration functionality coming soon. On consoles, protection and restoration will be bundled alongside some other tweaks.

Also, if you were reset and continue to play don't go over your previous BAR or you will not be able to recover it. One of the programmers responded to someone else's question in the first post of this page.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh...50243&page=212

Originally Posted by LearnedLummox
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/images/buttons/blbuttons/viewpost.gif

Awesome news a patch is on the way. Since being reset to 0 I have created many characters to bolster my ba rank/regain lost skins and have since deleted those characters. My question is if I did happen to go over my previous ba rank prior to reset, did I inadvertently negate myself from the fix?

Response from

Unfortunately, the answer to this question is yes. When your current BAR is equal to or more than the BAR we calculate from your single character, there's no way for us to know the difference between "someone who lost their profile a long time ago" and "someone who never lost their profile and plays several different characters."

The
good news
is that you'll still get your mission/challenge skins and heads back, that fix up is done for everyone no matter what. This is intended to help out people like yourself, as well as people who accidentally sold or lost their skin/head items.
Edited by Quid Squid

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. I read that part and laughed. I know it sucks for those people who lost stuff, but this is a pretty decent fix. It should have never happened but I am impressed Gearbox was able to recover that much info.

Oh absolutely, the fix is more than reasonable. I can only speak for myself (but it's probably the same for 99% of the community) when I say, I've had a ton of skins duped for me so if I lost them I'd be set way back.

Just added a little more info to the original post. Basically it will not prevent it from happening, but once the initial patch comes it should give them the info they need to get a preventative patch up.

It has also been mentioned that if you deleted a character you will get nothing back from that character, you must be able to continue or join a game.

Glad to see that they are implementing a fix for this glitch. Fortunately, I haven't been affected by it (*keeping my fingers crossed here*), but I can imagine how people must feel when they see a lot of their character's items are reset.

It's a shame that the skins and heads that dropped on the ground won't be recovered, but at least players will get back the majority of the things that they were missing.

Where does it say that in the post from Gearbox?

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=150243&page=212

one of the programmers responded to someone elses question in the first post of this page.

Awesome news a patch is on the way. Since being reset to 0 I have created many characters to bolster my ba rank/regain lost skins and have since deleted those characters. My question is if I did happen to go over my previous ba rank prior to reset, did I inadvertently negate myself from the fix?

Response from

Unfortunately, the answer to this question is yes. When your current BAR is equal to or more than the BAR we calculate from your single character, there's no way for us to know the difference between "someone who lost their profile a long time ago" and "someone who never lost their profile and plays several different characters."

The
good news
is that you'll still get your mission/challenge skins and heads back, that fix up is done for everyone no matter what. This is intended to help out people like yourself, as well as people who accidentally sold or lost their skin/head items.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=150243&page=212

one of the programmers responded to someone elses question in the first post of this page.

Response from

The
good news

Nice, thanks man.

I'm lucky, none of my stuff got reset. Hoping for the best for everyone who did. Looks like they can't fix things 100%, but this is way better than losing it all.

Nice, thanks man.

I'm lucky, none of my stuff got reset. Hoping for the best for everyone who did. Looks like they can't fix things 100%, but this is way better than losing it all.

yeah i didn't lose mine either, but stopped playing until there was a fix to prevent me from losing everything.

will also add that last bit of info from the forum in the original post to make sure it's known.

Can someone just clarify something for me as after reading the second forum quote I'm now a bit confused!

I had my BAR reset after the last update but did continue to play the game for a bit since then/ My BAR has gone up 20 or so points and I spent them. Although I have now spent the points, my challenges have not reset - i.e. I am still half way through a number of challenge levels.

Will these be reset? The top post says it will check the completed challenges and see if my BAR matches up so I assumed it would be restored. However, after reading that latter post I'm now not sure.... Thanks guys

Can someone just clarify something for me as after reading the second forum quote I'm now a bit confused!

I had my BAR reset after the last update but did continue to play the game for a bit since then/ My BAR has gone up 20 or so points and I spent them. Although I have now spent the points, my challenges have not reset - i.e. I am still half way through a number of challenge levels.

Will these be reset? The top post says it will check the completed challenges and see if my BAR matches up so I assumed it would be restored. However, after reading that latter post I'm now not sure.... Thanks guys

As long as your new BAR doesn't exceed the point total you had previous you should recover what you lost. At least that's how I've understood it.