Question about Star Trek

CrossFireZX5

I've never seen a full episode of a star trek tv series before, in fact the only star trek films I've seen are the 2009 reboot and Wrath of Khan. I recently discovered that The Next Generation is available on Netflix (Canadian version), along with all of the old films. My question is, could I dive into The Next Generation without having seen The original series or the majority of the movies and not be completely confused?

I've never seen a full episode of a star trek tv series before, in fact the only star trek films I've seen are the 2009 reboot and Wrath of Khan. I recently discovered that The Next Generation is available on Netflix (Canadian version), along with all of the old films. My question is, could I dive into The Next Generation without having seen The original series or the majority of the movies and not be completely confused?

Yes.

/10charactersminimum

Most of the Star Trek shows and movies are designed such that you don't really have to watch any of the others.

Deep Space Nine and TNG have a fair amount of overlap but not enough that you have to watch one to understand the other. I mean you may not understand the whole Maquis stuff at the beginning of DS9 if you haven't seen the stuff from TNG that happened right before it but it probably won't make a huge difference.

Voyager is pretty self contained as is Enterprise. They all have nods and references to each other but nothing that would leave you crazy confused.

Basically, the only three things that need to be watched in sequence are a few of the original cast movies: "The Wrath of Khan", "The Search for Spock" and "The Voyage Home".

If you are looking for suggestions about what order you should watch stuff I would suggest that you start with TNG and the original cast movies. Then once the time frames match start watching TNG and DS9 at the same time (DS9 is my favorite). Then watch the TNG movies. Voyage after you finish those and then Enterprise. If you are still really into Star Trek after all that go back and watch the original TV show. Its so old that unless you are a true fan its a little painful to watch.

Edited by bigbear.

^that is not exactly correct, several characters have made an appearance on TNG. Spock & his father Sarek, Scottie, Dr McCoy were all on an episode Spock was on a handful. But no you don't really need to have watched the original to enjoy TNG

Bah well I stand corrected :p But as a whole, it doesn't make much of a difference in the long run. A little off topic, but starting a new TNG trilogy of movies after the new Star Trek movies would be pretty cool.

• 1 month later...

Can't believe you watched the 2009 reboot and wrath of khan. Both are shitty. Watch the other films minus the 1st one with the satille and nemisis. as for the tv series. the originals are lame and boring. Start with Next Generation and work your way down. Skip Deep Space 9. Not worth the time.