Should I get this game?

Phantomtick99

Well mate, there are a lot of things that you have to ask yourself. Do you like RPG games? Do you like difficult games? Are you ready to die a lot, especially on your first playthrough? How easily are you getting frustrated? What are you expecting out of the Dark Souls?

The game is very enjoyable, it's probably the best game of this generation for me. After 160 hours I still have a lot of fun with it and still have lots of things to collect or discover. It's a type of a game that can be very addictive if you like to explore and collect stuff. The first playthrough won't be easy but will teach you a lot. Consider the first playthrough as a a huge tutorial, that will teach you how to deal with enemies and bosses, consider the first playthrough as a preparation for a main game, that NG+ will be.

YES! It is an utterly amazing game! I may get flamed for this, but it was my GOTY, even over Skyrim (which i thought was a good game until my save corrupted and i got pissed off xD) The game is hard, without a doubt but it is very fair, you will find persistance is key. Like said above, i'm on 120HRS, and i'm still not bored :)

I just played Dark Souls..since yesterday and i fucking love this game.

I don`t have any interest in Skyrim..i don`t like the first person camera..i know you can switch to 3rd Person ,but it feels like you are 80% in the first person camera....i don`t like this.

Im not saying this game is bad ,dont get me wrong ,but i prefer Dark Souls more than Skyrim.

This game isn't as hard as it is in being "cheap"...

Did you play the same game as the rest of us? This game is faaaaaar from being cheap. Does it have its moments? Of course, but based on the type of gameplay that's involved and the encounters you have, using the word cheap is hyperbole and I'm sure you'll find yourself in the minority with that stance. Would love to know what games in the same genre that you don't find to be cheap or at least not as cheap as Dark Souls.

I love Skyrim don't get me wrong - but - Dark Souls is my RPG of the Year. In fact, as stellar and as quality as bethesda is, they still miss the boat on some things. The games are almost too open and free to a fault IMO. I don't mind a little bit of linearity sometimes. I personally would take Lost Odyssey, Resonance of Fate, Dark Souls, both Mass Effects, over any Bethesda game. And I LOVE Bethesda games, or well, pretty much all RPGS then I guess...lol.

I wouldn't call Dark Souls cheap.

You can avoid any death in this game. Trial and Error my friends. A game is cheap when you die and can NEVER do anything about it. In Dark Souls you learn how to move out of the way of certain moves, and how to avoid taking as much damage as you would say you were closer to the damage zone.

Sure some attacks aren't avoidable, but they don't necessarily kill you in one either. If you cant do something in an RPG, you need to follow the golden rule of RPGs, farm until you can. In this case, you need to farm for some VIT points.

Another golden rule is to go into every boss battle with full health, take a hit? drink a flask if you don't have the greatest VIT. Obviously roll out of the way before you drink, or you're setting yourself up for another death. Every monster in this game has a pattern, you learn that pattern and you're good to go.

So yes, in short BUY THIS GAME!

buy*

Why would you buy a game based on hype?

I bought Gears of War 3 because i got hyped by the mass ,it was like everybody wanted to get the game ,but it wasn`t a game for me ,i just wanted to buy it because everybody was playing it ,but this was a dumb mistake from me.

I am in the same situation with Skyrim ,i wanted to buy it because everybody said " Its sooo fucking good" ,but i won`t do that same mistake again with skyrim , i don`t look at the opinions of other ppl anymore when it comes to playing a game.

So what i want to say is: I don`t give a fuck if ppl like skyrim or not ,for me Dark Souls is the best rpg on the xbox. I played a shitload of RPGs ,and MMORPGs and i am really happy with Dark Souls.

If i have Dark Souls i don`t need Skyrim ,KoA Reckoning ,Dragon Age , Two Worlds or any other RPGs ,because Dark Souls is the King of RPGs for me currently (but only for Xbox360 and PS3 ,because my most favourite RPG is still Final Fantasy 7 ).

Edited by Dark Anaconda

I too have questions before purchasing this game.

1. What is the length?

2. What is the estimated achievement difficulty?

3. Is it free roam? (ex: Oblivion) Or linear? (ex: Dragon Age Origins)

4. Can you continue playing SQ, after completing MQ?

1. Depends on your skill level, and how long you want to explore or grind for souls. I can can run through the game fairly easily in 3 or 4 hours, but Ive played through it more than 50 times lol.

2. Again heavily depends on your skill level, for casual gamers I would say 9/10

If you're easily frustrated then don't even bother lol. But once you get the feel of the game, its actually rather easy(for some)

3. Its a bit linear, but its done rather well. Some places you don't even need to go. There is a bit of exploration to do, but nothing to grand. Some places can't be accessed until certain requirements are met obviously.

4. I have no idea what SQ or MQ is/means.

1. Depends on your skill level, and how long you want to explore or grind for souls. I can can run through the game fairly easily in 3 or 4 hours, but Ive played through it more than 50 times lol.

2. Again heavily depends on your skill level, for casual gamers I would say 9/10

If you're easily frustrated then don't even bother lol. But once you get the feel of the game, its actually rather easy(for some)

3. Its a bit linear, but its done rather well. Some places you don't even need to go. There is a bit of exploration to do, but nothing to grand. Some places can't be accessed until certain requirements are met obviously.

4. I have no idea what SQ or MQ is/means.

I absolutely dig RPGs & Action-RPGs. That said, I like to take my time. Sometimes...well a lot of times I get sidetracked and instead of doing the main quest. I just go exploring, spend a couple of hours doing that w/o realizing it. I like games w/ a rich storyline (ex: Mass Effect). I like to read in-game books & stories (ex: Oblivion). Oh SQ=side quest & MQ=main quest. I like games that are long as well (ex: Dragon Age Origins, Dead Island, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect1+2).

I absolutely dig RPGs & Action-RPGs. That said, I like to take my time. Sometimes...well a lot of times I get sidetracked and instead of doing the main quest. I just go exploring, spend a couple of hours doing that w/o realizing it. I like games w/ a rich storyline (ex: Mass Effect). I like to read in-game books & stories (ex: Oblivion). Oh SQ=side quest & MQ=main quest. I like games that are long as well (ex: Dragon Age Origins, Dead Island, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect1+2).

The story in Dark Souls is....different. They really don't explain much of anything its really up to the player to piece things together and make up your own mind of whats going on. Its not Dialog heavy at all.

As for Main quests and side quests... theres not really much, there are no quest givers, no xp rewards for completing things, its not your average rpg. You get bits of info from the very few NPC's you come across that can help point you in the right direction. That may sound like a bad thing but it really isnt...its a very unique style of game. The environment and gameplay makes you feel alone and vulnerable, not being able to talk to summoned phantoms further helps that feeling(have to rely on character gestures)

Its like no other RPG you've ever played basically, easily my favorite game on the 360 and definitely in my top 3 favorite games of all time. I highly recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say get it. But be warned, after you play, the game becomes a part of your life.... Its a great RPG with smooth controls and great atmosphere. But, it is a very difficult game, so you might get a little angry at times.