Spelunky Speedrun 2:53

IEvil IMonkey

Just found this on YouTube :woop:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMU9rz0T4ZQ]Spelunky Speedrun: 2:53 - YouTube[/ame]

Looking at his other speedruns on YouTube, it looks as though the levels change for every playthrough so I'm guessing there ISN'T a set way to do this game :confused:

Also take a look at the comments below the video which is rather disturbing :eek: as someone asks how many resets it took him to get the jetpack to appear in the shop at the beginning of level 2..... his answer

"The total number of resets was 8684, or more like 15000 if you include the ones I did for my old 3min 02sec run. I don't know on how many of those attempts I got a nicely positioned shop early on"

Seems like a bit of an effort to get it as it seems to be the way of getting a good speedrun!!!

That's correct. The game is only different in that it has new graphics, some extra items and now supports four player co-op. Besides superficial stuff like that, the core gameplay is exactly the same. Getting the speedrun achievement will be just like this video - you will need a lucky shop placement with a lucky inventory in order to even stand a chance.

Actually, there are a few changes I've noticed from the freeware version:

- Some new enemies (honeybees - the Queen drops a jelly that heals 4 health! - and Anubis)

- The Scepter is now dropped by Anubis, not a mummy. However, it's a LOT more dangerous to use than I've seen in vids of the freeware version - the shots will kill you if they double back for any reason!

- Some weapons (bow, pistol) don't seem to exist any more

- This will make the speedrun VERY VERY painful: shopkeepers never stop being mad at you! I've stolen from the shopkeeper on 1-2, never killed any of them, and lasted until 3-3, and the shopkeeper was waiting for me at EVERY exit. Notice in the guy's speedrun that the he only had to deal with one exit shopkeeper. I'm not even sure how 8 minutes is going to be possible, since shoplifting early now almost guarantees you won't make it to the end. That sucks. :(

- There's a brand new area! See if you can find it. (Hint: take a different exit from 3-4...) I think that must be what winning "the hard way" means.

Edited by SnapDragon

The game is different from the freeware version! Even the graphics are updated the game is overhauled and ign just gave it a 9. Looking forward to playing this xbla needs more good platformers. Screw off if youre going to mislead the rest of the community into thinking you can get the same game on pc for free cause its NOT the same game.

- This will make the speedrun VERY VERY painful: shopkeepers never stop being mad at you! I've stolen from the shopkeeper on 1-2, never killed any of them, and lasted until 3-3, and the shopkeeper was waiting for me at EVERY exit. Notice in the guy's speedrun that the he only had to deal with one exit shopkeeper. I'm not even sure how 8 minutes is going to be possible, since shoplifting early now almost guarantees you won't make it to the end. That sucks.
Yeah, this part has me confused too. It seems like the only way to begin a speedrun is to steal, but stealing will make it longer and way harder.

Screw off if youre going to mislead the rest of the community into thinking you can get the same game on pc for free cause its NOT the same game.
Wow, where in the hell are you getting that? I responded because the OP was asking if the game will really be different in the aspects that pertain to this thread, i.e. how to have a successful speedrun, and I correctly responded that it will not. You have a very vivid imagination.

I responded because the OP was asking if the game will really be different in the aspects that pertain to this thread, i.e. how to have a successful speedrun, and I correctly responded that it will not.

correctly eh? so either you've played the XBLA version and done a speed run already, or your just assuming here?

not saying you're wrong. just saying.

correctly eh? so either you've played the XBLA version and done a speed run already, or your just assuming here?

not saying you're wrong. just saying.

Not sure why you're being suspicious when you can just click the big, green button right under my name and confirm for yourself that I have indeed had the game for over a week now.

I haven't done the speedrun yet, though, because it's looking to be even harder than it was in the PC version. The logic is exactly the same though - you need to get lucky with an early shop or there's no way to make it in less than 8 minutes.

What makes it harder is what SnapDragon posted about the shopkeepers, the fact that the camera is more "zoomed in" which makes it harder to guess what the most open path available is and apparently the final boss is harder.

Ive been playing the xbla version, and one major obstacle that you will have to over come that is different from that video is that monster actually daze you and knock you down.

Unlike that speed run where when he gets hit he just keep cruising along like nothing happened in the xbla version you get knocked down, which a lot of times turns into a chain reaction of damage as one monster hits you and you get knocked into the next one or into a trap and before you know it your dead.

• 3 weeks later...
I managed to ace the speedlunky~

5:46:842! I'm proud of it! <3

Found a Compass in a box, then I tried to stay alive as best as I could. No other items, not even a cape or a jetpack. Took some bomb-shortcuts in the Temple.

From the Jungle to the Last Boss, I had only 1 HP left~ ( > u<)-b

congrats, thats an accomplishment. im not even close myself. havent even beaten it yet.

I managed to ace the speedlunky~

5:46:842! I'm proud of it! <3

Found a Compass in a box, then I tried to stay alive as best as I could. No other items, not even a cape or a jetpack. Took some bomb-shortcuts in the Temple.

From the Jungle to the Last Boss, I had only 1 HP left~ ( > u<)-b

The quote didn't work the first time. But this is what I was referring to. =p