This Game Is Frustrating

MabusScarab

Sadly, no. That was in the PC version only; it takes more luck with shops to hit high bomb totals now. As far as I can tell, the rewards are:

1 Damsel: random useful item that you don't have yet

2 Damsels: Kapala

Every 2 Damsels after that: 4-8 health

Ah, good to know that. Looks like now it's not worth to sacrifice more than two Damsels.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is something more frustrating in this game than going for Low Scorer achievement. Messed up two times during last boss today. Pretty much the last thing i have to do in the game (still didn't have co-op one, but compared to this will be cake walk). I hate luck based achievements like this one. :(

Edited by sepulturas666

Just got done with the rest of the achievements. I second the fact that Low Scorer was the biggest bitch of them all. I literally died more times attempting to do that one than all the other ones combined...not even close. Although to Hell and Back was very difficult by any means, I feel more in control of the outcome. To put it in perspective, I completed it on my third journey to Hell whereas I probably made it to Olmec without gold around 10 times before winning.

I concur on low scorer being horrible, there is nothing worse than getting a load of good free equipment then standing on some hidden gold nugget and having to reset.

I have some tips for anyone going for this,

firstly, if you have access to a second controller then play in co-op get a friend to help or do it on your own. It is just more tedious on your own but you can manage by carrying the other character like a damsel and don't forget they can carry something while you carry them. Basically your goal is to get a free item and the kappala as soon as possible so keep an eye out for an altar, when you find one sacrifice the character with the lowest health and hopefully the damsel too and blow! kappala. Now you can milk the bad guys for health, and you have a helper ghost who can set off traps and blow badly placed gold/enemies out of the way.

Also you need to keep an eye out for events occurring at the beginning of levels, here are my favourites for this run,

Snake pit, always go for the mattock at the bottom as it is invaluable for this achievement, you have to make sure that you place your bomb wisely though as you don't want any gems or gold getting on the mattock. Try not to break it on the level you get it as it will become nearly indestructible after you have gone past one exit.

This is good because if you get to olmec with hardly any bombs you can just dig a hole instead.

It is best combined with the udjat eye or spectacles so you don't accidentally dig up any treasure, but if you do use the ghost to blow it away if you have one.

Dead are Restless, obviously a shotgun can help your cause greatly by blowing up the block under the gravestone marked ash but also keep an eye out for a vampire as killing him for his cape will make the ice levels a lot easier.

I sense a psychic prescience, if you already have a cape and you get this level i would just stay as you are, but if not then the jet pack behind the alien king is very useful. watch out for his force field as it reflects all projectiles.

Finally as i said before the mattock is probably the best item for this achievement as avoiding collecting gold in the olmec fight is annoying. I would say it is best to get there with a good few bombs or the mattock so you can freeze olmec off screen and dig/blow a hole carefully and then lead him in.

Hope this helps anyone

Edited by Scottcool

No need to call me names, lets have a good discussion here. I would d-load the demo but i have no space on my hard drive (only a 20GB HD). The next time i go to a friends i'll get the trial. As for the money issue, i have enough obviously but i wont spend 1200 on a game unless i really like it.

you're acting like 400/400 is very hard, maybe it's because you're not good at the game?

Again i'm NOT bashing the game, just voicing my opinion.

Apologies for the name-calling, I had just finished a particularly frustrating run of the game and was a little outraged to see someone who'd never played it calling it "not that hard." It is a very difficult game. I beat it last night after about 1500 deaths but I might not ever beat it the hard way or beat the secret ending because it's just insane what they require you to do. Download the demo since you can play the first 4 levels forever and see how long it takes you to beat just those levels. Then realize that the game gets so much harder and the first 4 levels are actually easy in comparison. It's one of the better games I've played all year though, so I highly recommend buying the actual game.

Oh my fucking god how much those SHOPKEEPERS PISS ME OFF! FUCK THEM! Everytime when I have nice bombs, they STILL fuck up my run. Someone said to shoot those keepers dead in the Black market, but when I shot them, the other shot me (the 2nd from further away) and I died D: .

I also let them kill themself but it took so long a ghost came and I died :C. Fuck why they have to jump like that GRRR.

What are the good ways to kill those fuckers? Sometimes I waste all my bombs because of them :C.

I wanna get the Shopkeeper kill achi, aka kill 10 shopkeepers.

Man, okay, I guess Olmec sometimes feels like spamming out enemies like he's a fucking gatling gun... I had no idea that could happen and that just ruined a beautiful run where I had almost $400k, book of the dead, jetpack, shotgun, etc... Turned out to be pretty much impossible to get Olmec to drop by the door to Hell with literally constant enemies coming at me. Getting kinda tired of this game's shit. :(

Someone said to shoot those keepers dead in the Black market, but when I shot them, the other shot me (the 2nd from further away) and I died D: .
Don't wait for the shopkeeper to enter your screen, or you'll have no time to react. The black market is a good example; when you know there's a 2nd shopkeeper behind the first one, just stand in the same spot and spam shots to the right. Edited by DROGTURIST

Man, okay, I guess Olmec sometimes feels like spamming out enemies like he's a fucking gatling gun... I had no idea that could happen and that just ruined a beautiful run where I had almost $400k, book of the dead, jetpack, shotgun, etc... Turned out to be pretty much impossible to get Olmec to drop by the door to Hell with literally constant enemies coming at me. Getting kinda tired of this game's shit. :(

Tell me about it! I ended up doing huge pit with mattock for Low Scorer achievement. Other methods didn't worked for me, because he throws 6+ enemies at me and i always pick up some gold. Really frustrating stuff.

That said, i didn't have any problems with him when i was going for Hell few times.

Does he get killed even on offscreen too? I read something about a frozen region. Also does anyone know do the gold and other shiny things become diamonds too? Mine did not, even if the ghost went over them.

Only the red, blue and green gems become diamonds.

Finally completed Low Scorer and thus the game... Overall very fun game and going for Hell and those achievements was equal parts fun and frustration, but man, Low Scorer was nothing but pure, hellish frustration. I really hate achievements that force you to play the game wrong to begin with, and the invisible gold in this game certainly didn't help any.

I was about to break every piece of furniture in my damn living room when I was five steps from the exit in Temple 4-3, and there was a tiny piece of gold hidden behind one of those eagle heads that's on certain floor tiles. Not to mention all the times there's been hidden gold in Jungle treetops or behind piles of snow in the Ice Caves. Must've had some 40-50 really good attempts ruined by invisible gold...