PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Music
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #61
martdude16
 
martdude16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,011

KILL3R N4SH's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpanner View Post
So, the rap world thinks it's a classic and therefore it is a classic?!?!?!?!

Classic album for the genre? maybe. And even then it's tenuous.

Classic album in the general field of music? Hell no.

Haters gonna hate, but it's true.
That's subjective. So you don't think it's a classic and therefore it isn't a classic?!?!?!?!
__________________
The Mighty Mos Def... it's simple mathematics
_____________________________________



Last edited by martdude16; 02-14-2013 at 02:49 PM.
martdude16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #62
Angry Tom
Local Heretic Burner
 
Angry Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Marinechester
Posts: 3,603

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by martdude16 View Post
That's subjective. So you don't think it's a classic and therefore it isn't a classic?!?!?!?!
How is your view that it is a classic any less subjective?

__________________
Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty-Rex View Post
Yeah you're right anime is stupid and for dudes with tiny dicks.
Angry Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #63
martdude16
 
martdude16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,011

KILL3R N4SH's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Stomper View Post
How is your view that it is a classic any less subjective?

It isn't and I agree with you. What annoyed me was reading this guy's post bashing someone for calling GRODT a classic, then going on about subjective, objective, blah blah blah.

Any need for the "dork" in the spoiler tags? Not really.
__________________
The Mighty Mos Def... it's simple mathematics
_____________________________________


martdude16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #64
Angry Tom
Local Heretic Burner
 
Angry Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Marinechester
Posts: 3,603

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by martdude16 View Post
Any need for the "dork" in the spoiler tags? Not really.
That wasn't a jab at you, that was just the first thing I thought of.
__________________
Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty-Rex View Post
Yeah you're right anime is stupid and for dudes with tiny dicks.
Angry Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #65
MrSpanner
 
MrSpanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 548

mrspanner's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by martdude16 View Post
That's subjective. So you don't think it's a classic and therefore it isn't a classic?!?!?!?!
It's a widely accepted opinion, more to the point, it's a more common opinion that GRODT is NOT a classic. Therefore it falls under the category: "conventional wisdom". Hence making it objective, phrased: "Most people agree that GROTD is NOT a classic album. However a minority believe that it is."

And as you are in the minority, and as it is now an objective statement, GROTD is conclusively not a classic.

Quod erat demonstrandum
__________________



MrSpanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #66
martdude16
 
martdude16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,011

KILL3R N4SH's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpanner View Post

And as you are in the minority, and as it is now an objective statement, GROTD is conclusively not a classic.

"Perceived as a classic upon its release..."

""In da Club" earned the number-one spot on Billboard 2003's single and album of the year, the first since Ace of Base had both in the same year. In December 2009, Billboard magazine ranked Get Rich or Die Tryin' at number 12 on the magazine's Top 200 Albums of the Decade.[32] In 2012 Complex named Get Rich or Die Tryin one of the classic albums of the last decade."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Ric...27_%28album%29

Billboard is reputable enough, more reputable than yourself. GRODT is a classic. Quoting latin phrases doesn't make you superior in any way.
__________________
The Mighty Mos Def... it's simple mathematics
_____________________________________


martdude16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #67
MrSpanner
 
MrSpanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 548

mrspanner's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by martdude16 View Post
"Perceived as a classic upon its release..."

""In da Club" earned the number-one spot on Billboard 2003's single and album of the year, the first since Ace of Base had both in the same year. In December 2009, Billboard magazine ranked Get Rich or Die Tryin' at number 12 on the magazine's Top 200 Albums of the Decade.[32] In 2012 Complex named Get Rich or Die Tryin one of the classic albums of the last decade."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Ric...27_%28album%29

Billboard is reputable enough, more reputable than yourself. GRODT is a classic. Quoting latin phrases doesn't make you superior in any way.
Wow, it got some number ones and was highly rated by Billboard (who just pedal whatever shit they fancy.... Ooooooh, sextuple platinum SHINY!!!!) as if that is any indication.....

GROTD is not automatically a classic just because billboard thinks it is. They'd put their own CEO's grandmother on that list if it was sextuple platinum. Not that I blame them, it's in their commercial interest. Unbiased it ain't though.

High record sales =/= classic album

This list would be more indicative, as it is a compilation of most "Best album of the Decade" lists: http://www.metacritic.com/feature/be...f-critic-lists. Oh look, there's no mention whatsoever of 50cent, and before you start, the list is not biased against rap either.

Also, how the fuck can an album be perceived as a "classic at release"??? Time makes albums "classic". A good new album is exactly that, good, and has the potential to be a classic, it's not guaranteed.

P.s. quoting latin doesn't make me superior, it simply finished of my post nicely.
__________________



MrSpanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #68
martdude16
 
martdude16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,011

KILL3R N4SH's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpanner View Post
Wow, it got some number ones and was highly rated by Billboard (who just pedal whatever shit they fancy.... Ooooooh, sextuple platinum SHINY!!!!) as if that is any indication.....

GROTD is not automatically a classic just because billboard thinks it is. They'd put their own CEO's grandmother on that list if it was sextuple platinum. Not that I blame them, it's in their commercial interest. Unbiased it ain't though.

High record sales =/= classic album

This list would be more indicative, as it is a compilation of most "Best album of the Decade" lists: http://www.metacritic.com/feature/be...f-critic-lists. Oh look, there's no mention whatsoever of 50cent, and before you start, the list is not biased against rap either.

Also, how the fuck can an album be perceived as a "classic at release"??? Time makes albums "classic". A good new album is exactly that, good, and has the potential to be a classic, it's not guaranteed.

P.s. quoting latin doesn't make me superior, it simply finished of my post nicely.
So once again it comes down to your opinion. No one else's matters? GRODT isn't a classic even though 'Billboard' said so, because you don't rate Billboard. YOU on the other hand, if YOU say it isn't a classic that must mean it isn't because you aren't some random guy sprouting nonsense on an online forum are you? You are reputable figure in the music industry! You are bigger than Billboard!

Please get off your high horse.
__________________
The Mighty Mos Def... it's simple mathematics
_____________________________________


martdude16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #69
MrSpanner
 
MrSpanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 548

mrspanner's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by martdude16 View Post
So once again it comes down to your opinion. No one else's matters? GRODT isn't a classic even though 'Billboard' said so, because you don't rate Billboard. YOU on the other hand, if YOU say it isn't a classic that must mean it isn't because you aren't some random guy sprouting nonsense on an online forum are you? You are reputable figure in the music industry! You are bigger than Billboard!

Please get off your high horse.
Me get of my high horse, what for having an opinion that differs from yours???? Stubborn, I'll give you that.

Not just my opinion, many, many, many, many, many various review site that back me up....

Fuck this, enjoy your mediocre shit. Just like talking to a brick wall.
__________________



MrSpanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #70
martdude16
 
martdude16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,011

KILL3R N4SH's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpanner View Post
Me get of my high horse, what for having an opinion that differs from yours???? Stubborn, I'll give you that.

Not just my opinion, many, many, many, many, many various review site that back me up....

Fuck this, enjoy your mediocre shit. Just like talking to a brick wall.
Like you jumped down the throat of the OP whos opinion differed from yours? Hypocrite.

Critics reviews. Yeah the albums "mediocre shit" alright. http://www.metacritic.com/music/get-...critic-reviews
__________________
The Mighty Mos Def... it's simple mathematics
_____________________________________


martdude16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #71
MrSpanner
 
MrSpanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 548

mrspanner's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by martdude16 View Post
Like you jumped down the throat of the OP whos opinion differed from yours? Hypocrite.

Critics reviews. Yeah the albums "mediocre shit" alright. http://www.metacritic.com/music/get-...critic-reviews
It's called starting a debate. A debate in which both parties are willing to change their opinion if the other is convincing. You are just coming up with the same statement that under all circumstances its a classic, without actually backing it up with much substance. If you had some convincing argument, I would probably end up agreeing with you and then carve "fancy that" in the side of my cock.

Right, a metacritic score of 73 indicates: Generally favourable reviews. How do you therefore deduce that it is a classic? Most run of the mill albums get generally favourable reviews, big whoop. Generally favourable cannot be twisted in any way to mean: This is a classic.

Albums that are on the best album list, pretty much all have higher scores, and the header "universal acclaim". e.g. http://www.metacritic.com/music/elep...-white-stripes, and yes, this is on the list.

Even you have to admit, Universal acclaim > generally favourable.
__________________



MrSpanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #72
martdude16
 
martdude16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,011

KILL3R N4SH's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpanner View Post
It's called starting a debate. A debate in which both parties are willing to change their opinion if the other is convincing. You are just coming up with the same statement that under all circumstances its a classic, without actually backing it up with much substance. If you had some convincing argument, I would probably end up agreeing with you and then carve "fancy that" in the side of my cock.

Right, a metacritic score of 73 indicates: Generally favourable reviews. How do you therefore deduce that it is a classic? Most run of the mill albums get generally favourable reviews, big whoop. Generally favourable cannot be twisted in any way to mean: This is a classic.

Albums that are on the best album list, pretty much all have higher scores, and the header "universal acclaim". e.g. http://www.metacritic.com/music/elep...-white-stripes, and yes, this is on the list.

Even you have to admit, Universal acclaim > generally favourable.
So when you do it its "starting a debate" but when I do it its "jumping down someones throat"? Hysterical.

I deduce that it is a classic because it has been referred to as such by billboard and other reputable magazines, etc. That fact that you think those companies aren't reputable is merely subjective.

Forumer <<< 'Billboard'
__________________
The Mighty Mos Def... it's simple mathematics
_____________________________________


martdude16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #73
BiggD
DONE WITH HALO...AGAIN...
 
BiggD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 16,687

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 15,000 Posts   Community Gaming - Silver   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
^^^^ LOLOLOL @ the arguing.
__________________

Thanks to Xerofox for the romantically rambunctious signature!

Currently Playing: Far Cry 4
~ HALO IS LOVE, HALO IS LIFE ~
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #74
MrSpanner
 
MrSpanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 548

mrspanner's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by martdude16 View Post
Forumer <<< 'Billboard'
True, but:

Metacritic aggregated scores are better than billboard (a single entity).

I double dare you to argue with that.

__________________




Last edited by MrSpanner; 02-14-2013 at 06:57 PM.
MrSpanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #75
Smoochy
 
Smoochy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,997

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
All this bickering over a whether a 50 Cent album is "classic" or not?
__________________
Smoochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #76
martdude16
 
martdude16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,011

KILL3R N4SH's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpanner View Post
True, but:

Metacritic aggregated scores are better than billboard (a single entity).

I double dare you to argue with that.
True.

The metacritic score given to Dragon Age II is borderline universal acclaim. Sometimes it can be shitty. GRODT is also universally acclaimed by the users. So I don't know where the whole I'm in the minority is coming from.


BUT I can't bear to go on, it's bloody valentine's day and I want to spread love not bicker. I will say this, before today I never researched into the whole 'GRODT classic' thing because I always assumed it was universally acclaimed. I am surprised to see that it isn't as acclaimed as I thought (outside of the rap world). I thought and still think that its an incredible album from start to finish. I was 11/12 when the album first came out which is crazy but I listened to it today (inspired by this debate) and I still find it as good.

I may have come across as a 50 fanboy but I don't actually listen to 50 anymore, thought his latest albums have been poor and haven't bought an album of his since 'The Massacre'. I listen to primarily "underground" or old-school nowadays.

I can try and sum it up best as a 'classic RAP album'.
__________________
The Mighty Mos Def... it's simple mathematics
_____________________________________



Last edited by martdude16; 02-14-2013 at 07:37 PM.
martdude16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #77
MrSpanner
 
MrSpanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 548

mrspanner's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by martdude16 View Post
True.

The metacritic score given to Dragon Age II is borderline universal acclaim. Sometimes it can be shitty. GRODT is also universally acclaimed by the users. So I don't know where the whole I'm in the minority is coming from.

Don't Be A Menace Nuclear Weapon Scene - YouTube

BUT I can't bear to go on, it's bloody valentine's day and I want to spread love not bicker. I will say this, before today I never researched into the whole 'GRODT classic' thing because I always assumed it was universally acclaimed. I am surprised to see that it isn't as acclaimed as I thought (outside of the rap world). I thought and still think that its an incredible album from start to finish. I was 11/12 when the album first came out which is crazy but I listened to it today (inspired by this debate) and I still find it as good.

I may have come across as a 50 fanboy but I don't actually listen to 50 anymore, thought his latest albums have been poor and haven't bought an album of his since 'The Massacre'. I listen to primarily "underground" or old-school nowadays.

I can try and sum it up best as a 'classic RAP album'.
Fuck it mate, haven't had a good argument about music like that in months (working at a national radio station as an intern is really shitty.... the amount of crap they pedal).

Consider the hatchet officially buried.
__________________



MrSpanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:43 AM.