1. 1. Did you like the Extended Cut?

• Yes
    • No
    • Some parts

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see a game where they couldn't repair the relays and everybody was stuck on Earth with no contact with other systems. Then after like 100 years they discover really fast way of traveling and we get to explore the galaxy and see how differently civilizations on different planets progressed.

Hopefully not spoiling anything but 1 of the endings would give them the ability to repair the relays quickly.

My gut feeling is that the next storyline will have to do with people who don't want to be part synthetic and/or people who were in the Bataran section of space with no relay, and weren't affected by the rainbow wave.

For those who prefer YouTube, here's a couple of vids that may or may not help you decide if it's worth making another playthorough. (or even from the Cerberus HQ as suggested.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFzrRz6Dc0Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Mass Effect 3 Walkthrough - Extended Cut DLC Synthesis Ending Let's Play XBOX PS3 PC - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5J-QDTM8Zk&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Mass Effect 3 Walkthrough - Extended Cut DLC Control Ending Let's Play XBOX PS3 PC - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgYYYmzr7_A&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Mass Effect 3 Walkthrough - Extended Cut DLC Destroy Ending Let's Play XBOX PS3 PC - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czKq9H0tSCo&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Mass Effect 3 Walkthrough - Extended Cut DLC Hidden Refusal Ending Let's Play XBOX PS3 PC - YouTube[/ame]

I liked the changes, but they dont explain how the normandy left the planet it crashed on with it being only jungle and no other signs of life to help fix the ship. and the epilogue still takes place on the planet like people left on there cannot leave and just repopulated and dreamed of going back "to the stars". other than that, it felt more complete.

it's funny seeing them back peddle on so many things like everyone leaving earth, the mass relay rings falling off instead of exploding, and they took out the "play more dlc" message and put "thanks for playing"

I chose the Destroy ending in the original game because I believed in the indoctrination theory - it's the only ending where Shepard wakes up at the end and it made sense that him revisiting the Citadel was all in his head when in fact he was lying in rubble.

I played the EC and chose the Synthetic option which now seems to be the best option there is.

I haven't replayed to choose the Destroy ending again yet - but so far there doesn't seem to be any confirmation about Indoctrination at all.

What does everyone else think? I think they did a good job with the first ending I saw - but it's still far from perfect.

I wasn't wholly against the original endings to begin and honestly these extended endings only served to confirm a lot of details that I had already inferred, but they did confirm a couple things I was curious about. My biggest question was whether or not the Citadel and Relays were still intact at the end. Now it's proven in all 4 endings that this is the case, which opens up logical ground for another series in this universe. (Perhaps an MMO or something. I would really like to see the Mass Effect universe grow to epic proportions like Star Wars. At any rate, I would like to see the universe extend beyond Bioware. I'd like to see Obsidian try there hand a title or two in the series.) My only disappointment with the ending is that a lot of the races were still unconfirmed and they still didn't detail much on the crewmates. I would've liked to have seen each of our crew members and friends in their natural habitats and doing their part to recover after the war.

This leaves the question of which ending is the true ending that we'll follow into the next series? I find it curious that they completely changed the epilogue for the Refuse ending from the other 3, but the ending being an afterthought and the difficulty of having all-new races against having a pre-established galaxy suggests it definitely won't be it. As for the other 3, Synthesis seems to be the most established, but the cooperation of the Reapers and the perks of evolutionary perfection would put a major damper on any serious threat the next series would have to offer. I can't really imagine any threat coming along that would be threatening after this. Same goes for Creation, but creation presents the possibility that the Reapers will repair the Galaxy, than simply leave. This leaves the Galaxy without all of the advancements and an enemy threat would be more prominent.

Finally, the Destroy option. This seems the most likely. They wouldn't have any of the advancements or support of the Reapers, but we've seen that the Citadel and Relays are actually still intact, so the galaxy isn't cut off like it was originally implied (though I'm curious how the races would actually manage to fix devices they can barely comprehend. ) The bonus clip with Shepard breathing at the end makes it seem like the most likely decision, though.

The other question is what kind of enemy could possibly threaten the Galaxy after the events of the last trilogy? In Star Wars, the Empire and Sith were both easily topped by the advent of the Yuuzhan Vong. I can see a similar thing happening in the next game. An entire Armada from another Galaxy that condemns our Galaxy for whatever reason (religious purposes, against biotics, against technology?) Even the involvement of multiple galaxies assuming the technology of the Citadel Mass Relay has been harness, which would make reaching other Galaxies much more realistic.

I liked the changes, but they dont explain how the normandy left the planet it crashed on with it being only jungle and no other signs of life to help fix the ship. and the epilogue still takes place on the planet like people left on there cannot leave and just repopulated and dreamed of going back "to the stars". other than that, it felt more complete.

it's funny seeing them back peddle on so many things like everyone leaving earth, the mass relay rings falling off instead of exploding, and they took out the "play more dlc" message and put "thanks for playing"

This is the one argument against the ending I never could agree with. If I were to come right now, pick you up in a helicopter and fly you to the Amazon (forget how many stops we'd need for gas) and drop you in the middle of the jungle, would you still say "no signs of civilization"? Immediate vicinity, yes you'd be right. World-wide? Wrong. Since we don't know where they crash landed, it's not automatic there isn't civilization. And there's not enough people on Normandy to "re-populate" any planet. Let alone food supply to support the different species (AKA squadmates).

This is the one argument against the ending I never could agree with. If I were to come right now, pick you up in a helicopter and fly you to the Amazon (forget how many stops we'd need for gas) and drop you in the middle of the jungle, would you still say "no signs of civilization"? Immediate vicinity, yes you'd be right. World-wide? Wrong. Since we don't know where they crash landed, it's not automatic there isn't civilization. And there's not enough people on Normandy to "re-populate" any planet. Let alone food supply to support the different species (AKA squadmates).

you have a point. but with the way it is presented, it sure seems like it's implied that they are stranded. more so with the epilogue asking if "we will ever go to the stars"

Did anyone stop to think that since this isn't the end of the mass effect series, just sheperd's story, that they may want to reveal some of the consequence in the next game(s)?

how can they possibly account for the different endings of ME3 without picking one as cannon?

Answer: They can't.

So they're either going to have to make 2/3 of our saves pointless for import or only make prequels from now on.

Either way mass effect gets no more money or time from me which is a shame considering how much i enjoyed the rest of the series.

The only ending that worked for me as a part of the story was the new option D where the reapers win. :(

Edited by H2O

I know Bioware said to start from before you attack the Cerberus HQ, but I loaded up a save from midway through London, and was able to see the extras. (The Normandy picking up your squad, and the refusal option. Haven't tried the destroy or control yet, and don't have the EMS for synthesis.) So you should be able to skip a bit if you have a later save than Cerberus.

Edit: Don't know if it's related, but just went for the destroy, and couldn't fire my gun. I walked until it stops you in front of the power conduit, and could only look around and aim. Gonna try again, and see if it happens again.

Edited by i NatrlKilla i

how can they possibly account for the different endings of ME3 without picking one as cannon?

(

Maybe they will, maybe they should, I don't know. Personally I liked the game, and I didn't mind the original ending. I don't need all the plot lines tied up in a neat bow to enjoy the story. Definitely going to demo the next DA though.

Does this unlock any achievements? Like if you weren't 100% on the readiness meter? If not I'll just watch it on youtube and save the download.

Already answered of course.

got my 'Master and Commander' achievement?! Which was interesting Total mil Str 5501 @ 50% =2750 EMS TY for the free Achievement!

Edited by Pinion13

they dont explain how the normandy left the planet it crashed on with it being only jungle and no other signs of life to help fix the ship.

I don't think you see the Normandy actually get damaged in the new endings. The assumption is that they land there as thats near where they drop out of FTL, but in the previous version they crashland and are marooned.

My presumption is that, as there was a nice little message about epic journeys and such, there are gong to be many more mass effect titles.

To be honest I'd like to see them. It was my own stupid fault that I only played ME3 didn't bother with the first 2. So the original ending meant nothing to me, the new ones still don't.

I'll just take it for the 1050 Gamerscore it is and wait for the next one, because there is no doubting this is a amazing game.

Don't know why so many nickers have been twisted?

I think its 'ending's' now since we need the new colour.

In that case I'll start writing it as ending(s)!

:p

My presumption is that, as there was a nice little message about epic journeys and such, there are gong to be many more mass effect titles.

To be honest I'd like to see them. It was my own stupid fault that I only played ME3 didn't bother with the first 2. So the original ending meant nothing to me, the new ones still don't.

I'll just take it for the 1050 Gamerscore it is and wait for the next one, because there is no doubting this is a amazing game.

Don't know why so many nickers have been twisted?

You answered your own question in the bold highlight. If your really interested read through several hundred posts about the ending at the top of the page to see the long list of complaints.

So now it's pretty much confirmed that the starchid is Harbinger (refusal ending)?

I haven't seen anything to confirm it. It's a Reaper's voice. Whether it was Harbinger or a different Reaper (or VI as he claims to be) is still open for debate.

Answer: They can't.

For starters they already have a "canon" storyline in place for books, comics, movies, etc. So not sure why anyone is still worried about "that's not the path I chose" when so many had a different LI other than Liara. But guess who's the "canon" LI. So yea...

Also, anyone assuming they can't possibly make a sequel are making 2 mistakes. 1- Never underestimate the power of greed... I mean making games for the sheer joy and admiration of your fanbase. 2- Who said the "sequel" actually has to be a "direct sequel"? Why not 50,000 years later? Or better yet, in a different galaxy? Just saying, when you can make more money... I mean games, you can always find a way. ;)

Also, anyone assuming they can't possibly make a sequel are making 2 mistakes. 1- Never underestimate the power of greed... I mean making games for the sheer joy and admiration of your fanbase. 2- Who said the "sequel" actually has to be a "direct sequel"? Why not 50,000 years later? Or better yet, in a different galaxy? Just saying, when you can make more money... I mean games, you can always find a way. ;)

Someone needs to lay off the scotch... Had some pretty bad slip-ups in this here post. :D

• The Normandy isn't shot at by the reaper in london when it picks people up

• The people picked up are severly injuried, but by the time the Normandy is flying away from the space magic they are fully healed.

• In the synthesis ending, Joker still limps

• I left Garrus at the base camp on Earth, but he somehow he gets on the Normandy, even though he was never picked up. (same could be said of other squad mates left at the Militiary HQ, however it is most glaring with Garrus, because he tells Joker to fly away)

• The Normandy FTL jumps at the same time as the rest of the fleet, yet it is the only one not to reach the rendezvous point.

• There is literally no reason for the crash to happen

• That whole scene is just stupid now: Shepard takes time out during the all-or-nothing charge to get his buddies into cover and call for evac when the entire galaxy can be obliterated if he doesn't make it to the beam.

• Walking towards an exploding pipe which you've just shot makes you more likely to survive. Even if you are bleeding out at the time.

• Normandy isn't impeded by the small group of Reapers flying towards the beam

• Harbinger flying away

• Anderson doesn't have a gut wound, only Shepard does.

• Destroy ending show the citadel rebuilt, so why didn't they find Shepard? (personal theory is that a keeper stole him, LOL)

• And if the breath scene is on Earth, how does Shepard get from the Citadel in space back to Earth, specifically London in the Destroy option? The breath scene is the most confusing thing for me still.

• Did anyone notice someone hands Hackett a datapad and from it he apparently learns that Shepard is alive lol. Shepard didn't radio in or anything. Hackett just looks at the datapad and says "good, he made it"

• Catalyst living on the Citadel changes the complexion of a LOT of events in all three games. If Catalyst had been dormant/in hibernation all that time (maybe it relies on the keeper signal to 'wake it up'?) then it should have been stated in the game. If not, then Catalyst needs an explanation for his inaction during the course of those events.

• I'm pretty sure it was said in ME2 that the SR2 is too large to land on planets without significant damage to the hull.

• And another thing, the Citadel doesn't crash into Earth - you can see it still floating up in space, though very damaged.

• Yeah... If Synthesis is "ultimate solution" for everyone, why the hell Reapers just don't come and give us (modified) plans for Crucible letting us merge organics ans synthetics? Aren't they tired/bored with all those killing?

• The crucible needing to be activated by the Citadel doesn't make sense because the Reapers normally start every cycle by taking the Citadel first. ]The Citadel was left ripe for taking over when the Reapers attacked Earth. Not sure how or why the humans could transport the crucible to it safely.

• The idea that civilizations that share zero contact with one another could combine efforts to design a functional weapon that they don't even understand the inner workings of is wildly difficult to accept. ]Also, that the weapon melds as a part of the Citadel all along is even more confusing. Really the Citadel was this entity all along that the Crucible just brings out, which is really confusing.

• If the energy wave makes the Normandy crash, why doesn't it crash every other ship in the fleet? Either it doesn't and the Normandy crash makes no sense, or they do, leaving pretty much every ship damaged/destroyed. If the Normandy just landed in stead of crashing, why?

• If it did crash, how did the crew fix it? They'd need parts and tools they likely didn't have.

• How does the destroy ending not lead to starvation?

• Harbinger is blind.

• Shepard is in a hurry, then is no longer in a hurry, then is in a hurry again, to get to the beam.

• The Catalyst's explanations for Control and Synthesis boil down to "space magic".

• The Synthesis and Control slideshows explain nothing, More space magic.

• Normandy being chased by the energy wave scene now only exists to justify the musical crescendo. All the other ships made an orderly retreat, yet the fastest ship in the fleet didn't?

• The Gilligans Planet scene now makes no sense. The characters step out of the ship like it is some momentous occasion, with a bleak and uncertain future ahead of them. But there is no way they cannot know that they'll be rescued extremely quickly.

• Stargazer scene now makes little sense. It is implied in the dialogue that they don't have interstellar space travel, but none of the endings now involve any technological setback - instead two of them involve massive technological advancement.

• It's almost like the Reapers want you to pick something. Starchild gets pissed when you refuse to make a decision on their demise. Why would he want that? Would make sense why Harbinger doesn't shoot the Normandy, delivers only a glancing blow to Shepard and flies away while you're still alive.

• How did the fleet figure out that the crucible was armed? They had no idea what it was or what it did it. There was a glowing light there but that doesn't mean it's armed.

• And even if they knew it became armed, why flee then? For all they knew the crucible needed time to charge up and they would have to cover it till it actually fired. Besides, what threat did it pose to them if it did fire and they were nearby. I guess they might assume it might damage their systems, but they had to know it would effect the entire galaxy and running wouldn't change that.

• Where was C-Sec and the other survivors on the citadel? Over the course of the entire third game the reapers are unable to clean out any single planet, so how do they manage to clean out the citadel, which was presumably incredibly well defended, in under a day? I guess they could of taken control of the citadel systems, but if they did that why not shut down the relay network, which was the plan in the first game (and all previous cycles)?

• The Starchild asserts his solutions will no longer work. Upon player rejection of the Starchild's new solutions, he decides to continue with the old, failed solution.

• The creators of Starchild, used a synthetic to solve the problem of hostile synthetics

• Also how did they know Anderson was dead and not Shepard??

• If the ghost kid is an AI why hasn’t he decided to kill all organics, as he claims all AI will?

• If Starchild could just turn off the Crucible like that why would he even want to talk to Shepard or use it's solutions, wouldn't he just turn off the Crucible as soon as it docked?

• When Shepard asks the Catalyst why previous civilizations failed to deploy the Crucible, the correct answer would have been "because the relays weren't active." The Crucible requires working mass relays and according to Vigil the Reapers turn off the entire relay network at the beginning of a cycle. This is the first cycle with active relays and THAT is why the Crucible can work. This should have been made clear.

• The Reaper IFF is not working, players can be chased in the star map by reapers, this implies that the reapers can scan down the Normandy and attack it

• Shepard gets hit by harbringer's beam... He should have died because that beam can slice through ships!

• The beam is still originating in the viper nebula (the one we blew up in arrival)

• Why would Hackett say: "Holy sh*t HE did it" - and then say "We have reports that SOMEONE made it"
    If he says "HE" - then I suppose that's implying that he knows who he is - and if that someone is Shepard - everyone knows Shepard.
    Wouldn't he just say "Shepard made it!" ?

• I'm most confused about the memorial service on the Normandy, where they are putting up Shepards name on the plaque. It looks like they are still on the planet they crashed on. How could they know Anderson is dead? And my Shepard isn't even dead! If Anderson's status was confirmed, it is highly likely that Shepherds status would also be confirmed.

Edited by Bahroo3

I chose the Destroy ending in the original game because I believed in the indoctrination theory - it's the only ending where Shepard wakes up at the end and it made sense that him revisiting the Citadel was all in his head when in fact he was lying in rubble.

I played the EC and chose the Synthetic option which now seems to be the best option there is.

Yeah, I caved. I've seen each ending from the EC...

I never actually did watch each of the original endings, but going from others descriptions/views/and the IT, I did fancy my chances with Destroy.

Having watched the EC Synthetic ending now however, I'm thinking of a switch, when I get to this point. Because I hid myself from pretty much anything to do with the endings, in my head, I thought that the synthesis ending would produce abominations. Seeing the slide-show, it doesn't seem so bad, and certain characters may survive (I don't know how well EDI is as a character, but I'm hoping Legion survives).

I'm kind of 50-50 at the moment.

One word: WOW! I liked the endings before the Extended Cut, but now, wow.

The Destroy Ending was awesome where Shepard breathes life back into his lungs, which was in the game before the EC.

I really thought it'd be cool if they showed Liara/Williams/Tali (whomever you chose as your love interest) hinting that she was pregnant with Shepard's child...