First DLC and Patch 1.020 Details

xhunterrrr

It's the simple fact that this game is supposed to be an MMO with a massive amount of story to complete with other filler content to keep you busy. Instead all we got was a tiny sandbox game with a short lack luster story and repeating side quest for every region.

I'm not saying they shouldn't charge for DLC, but they need to add in a ton more free content. Every other F2P game out there offer almost endless quest/location/ect. They even continue to add content for free. What does Defiance do? Adds in easy pursuits that don't work half the time as they always have to auto-complete one for you.

But Trion IS giving you content for free. No, they don't push out huge, new, free content with every update, but they are adding it with the first DLC.

You cant honestly say "be happy they are giving you free stuff". Are you serious? I want the shit I was supposed to get for the $60 I paid for the fucking game.

I can and I did. Who said any of this was -supposed- to be in the game you bought? They could've charged for the entire DLC pack, but they didn't. They are giving a very large amount of stuff to do for free.

While I may be extremely displeased at the way they have handled Freight Yard and patches/bug fixes, this DLC is surprisingly nice and densely packed with content. I have the season pass, so I obviously get the paid content, but even the free content adds a ton of new things to the game. So, I won't defend Trion on how they've handled patching and fixing, but they earned my support for this DLC.

Edited by xhunterrrr

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking about 2/3rds of the competitive MP that are still missing from the game 2 months after release. I'm talking about Dam Defense which is still missing. And I'm talking about the countless bugs that are still in the game. How can they justify pushing out DLC, when I'm still not getting what I initially payed for?

It is only 1/3 and they are patching it with 1.020 that is coming this month. There is nothing wrong with releasing new content while also bug fixing. It isn't like the dev team that does bug fixes is also designing all the new content.

EDIT: Also, would you really want them to wait until all the bugs and issues have been fixed before releasing DLC? Stupid for two reasons: 1, they haven't exactly set the standard for fixing things quickly and efficiently and 2, it is an MMO there will ALWAYS be bugs and issues to fix.

Edited by xhunterrrr

Do you have to play as a Castithan to experience the DLC fully? Because it's stupid. I have played over 100+hrs with my current character, I still have a long way to go until I hit 2500 EGO and after that I wouldn't want to start again.

Fail much? Why not just include more races with the start of the game, rather than a month after release?

Not meaning to bash Trion, but seriously? Not very well thought out IMO.

So to change my character's appearance, let's say: hair color, I'll have to spend RL money to do so? Lame...

P.S. - Until I get some sort of bank or storage system to put my extra stuff away without cluttering my inventory. I won't be happy with any DLC's they give out.

I doubt you will have to play as a Castithan to fully experience the DLC.

As to your question about releasing more races at launch...This is how practically every MMO does it. They release a limited number of races at the beginning and add more as they release expansions.

However, I do agree that first race/character change should be free or available through script.

No, they said they have heard players' feedback and wishes and that is a compiled list of the most asked for things and things they are going to try/consider implementing in the future. They never said they were DEFINITELY going to bring them into the game, but they never said they definitely weren't going to. I am willing to be bet we will see a good chunk of that list show up in game.

That's exactly what I said.

They compiled a list of what players want and then carefully inserted a sentence right at the end which basically said "I don't how much if any of this will make it in game". They should have known what would happen.

My point was that plenty of rabid Defiance fans didn't bother to read that last part and basically we had the situation of countless posts stating how awesome Trion were and how they couldn't wait to see all of that list implemented. Which is not what Trion said at all, but by that point the damage was done.

Trion should have never posted up that list as some players will now use it as something to beat them with (even though Trion never GUARANTEED anything). It's how the internet works.

Also I do agree that the DLC does not seem like value for money in any way, shape or form (got mine with the UE so I'm grateful for that). As all of the new modes, maps and areas will be available to anyone for no extra charge. So anyone that pays for the DLC is basically getting a few new weapons, vehicles etc. Wow - colour me unimpressed.

I suppose what I should say is that I'm actually impressed with the FREE DLC (new areas, siege mode, EGO powers etc) but feel ripped off to have bought the UE specifically for the Season Pass, when the actual content we get for that is negligible.

I would also say - who cares about a new race? It is literally a different skin and, as I wear one of the full body armour outfits, you can't see my characters face anyway. Maybe if the different races actually had unique perks/attributes then it would mean something but Trion has effectively made introducing a new race about as exciting as buying some armour with bits. It's purely cosmetic.

Edited by jackanape

That's exactly what I said.

They compiled a list of what players want and then carefully inserted a sentence right at the end which basically said "I don't how much if any of this will make it in game". They should have known what would happen.

My point was that plenty of rabid Defiance fans didn't bother to read that last part and basically we had the situation of countless posts stating how awesome Trion were and how they couldn't wait to see all of that list implemented. Which is not what Trion said at all, but by that point the damage was done.

Trion should have never posted up that list as some players will now use it as something to beat them with (even though Trion never GUARANTEED anything). It's how the internet works.

Also I do agree that the DLC does not seem like value for money in any way, shape or form (got mine with the UE so I'm grateful for that). As all of the new modes, maps and areas will be available to anyone for no extra charge. So anyone that pays for the DLC is basically getting a few new weapons, vehicles etc. Wow - colour me unimpressed.

I suppose what I should say is that I'm actually impressed with the FREE DLC (new areas, siege mode, EGO powers etc) but feel ripped off to have bought the UE specifically for the Season Pass, when the actual content we get for that is negligible.

I would also say - who cares about a new race? It is literally a different skin and, as I wear one of the full body armour outfits, you can't see my characters face anyway. Maybe if the different races actually had unique perks/attributes then it would mean something but Trion has effectively made introducing a new race about as exciting as buying some armour with bits. It's purely cosmetic.

What you actually said was:

Isn't that just the big old wish list that they posted on the forums as 'what players wanted' and then bookended it with statements saying they would pretty much never have time to implement it all?

That is completely different than:

As for the season pass, this is just one DLC. There will be more, obviously.

For $10, you get new pursuits, a storyline, new achievements, a new vehicle, new weapons, a new character (which I am excited for; I like the Castithans), new outfit, a few other new odds and ends, access to the new Battle Arenas (which the free won't have access to unless they are brought into them with a friend). How many $10 DLC packs offer that much content? I certainly wouldn't call that negligible. I've sadly paid more for less in many other games.

For $10, you get new pursuits, a storyline, new achievements, a new vehicle, new weapons, a new character (which I am excited for; I like the Castithans), new outfit, a few other new odds and ends, access to the new Battle Arenas (which the free won't have access to unless they are brought into them with a friend). How many $10 DLC packs offer that much content? I certainly wouldn't call that negligible. I've sadly paid more for less in many other games.

Don't forget the achievements. Plenty of people would pay a fair amount just of the new achievements.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the amount of content in this DLC. However, I have the season pass and expect for it all to come out in the wash. Maybe this DLC doesn't have as much content as I'd like but the next one has twice as much...

As to your question about releasing more races at launch...This is how practically every MMO does it. They release a limited number of races at the beginning and add more as they release expansions.
Yeah, after 1-2 years. Not after 1 month of rocky ass hell launch filled with bugs and other problems. And they started with only 2. What other MMO has only 2 races?

a new character (which I am excited for; I like the Castithans)
Good for you, if you're excited on doing EVERYTHING again and completing the mundane and unappealing story line. That is, if you must start again from scratch in order to play as a Castithan.

Maybe with the 2nd DLC, they could include a FREE dlc that would introduce race specific traits, skills, HP count, running speed etc. Might give us a better reason to give a shit about different races.

Edited by KriugerisLT

Not to mention most Free/Buy/Pay MMO's at least try to offer up to 3-4 different characters to select from. Some even with custom stories for each one.

This game isn't an RPG.

Yeah, after 1-2 years. Not after 1 month of rocky ass hell launch filled with bugs and other problems.

Good for you, if you're excited on doing EVERYTHING again and completing the mundane and unappealing story line.

And what if I am? What if I enjoyed the storyline? Is that a problem? Or maybe they will offer the ability to change race in addition to all the other changes we will be able to make to our characters with the DLC.

This game isn't an RPG.

That depends on your definition of an RPG. In recent generations that definition has become sickeningly blurry.

Not to mention most Free/Buy/Pay MMO's at least try to offer up to 3-4 different characters to select from. Some even with custom stories for each one.

Like Star Wars: The Old Republic? Sure there were 4 or so races to start...Sure each "class" had a different, fully voiced storyline. But really, once you played the game once as any class the game was completely boring. All the side missions were identical if you were playing the same faction (slightly different between factions but mostly the same). The storylines were so archetypal that they were hardly compelling once you finished one of them.

I'm not giving Defiance a pass here but sometimes more doesn't always equal better.

Edited by bigbear.

This game isn't an RPG.

And what if I am? What if I enjoyed the storyline? Is that a problem?

It's trying to be a cross from an RPG and any other TPS MMO, but with any other TPS MMO, they tend to give a ton of customizable options for players and clan.

I don't even get why they are added in another voice option as the fucking character is mute unless you use the chat emotes.

That depends on your definition of an RPG. In recent generations that definition has become sickeningly blurry.

Trion/the Defiance team don't define this as an RPG. It is an open world third person shooter. They don't even call it an MMO in the website game description. This game is so far from an RPG, I don't see how it could even be accidentally labeled as an RPG. Does it have elements that RPG games have? Yes. It also has elements from pretty much every other genre. But that doesn't make it an RPG. You shoot guns and control a character. You do that in first person shooters, too. Would you even remotely label this an FPS?

Edited by xhunterrrr

And what if I am? What if I enjoyed the storyline? Is that a problem.

Really? You enjoyed it? Or are you just saying that out of spite towards me? Because the story line in this game is just... blah. I've seen better B-Movie grade stories in ye olde VCR tapes.

Not an RPG you say?

Leveling up? Check.

Lots of weapons, grenades, shields? (I.e. loot) - Check.

These two are probably the most basic aspects needed to identify a game as an RPG.

Whether you shoot a gun, move in turns or swing a sword is irrelevant.

Edited by KriugerisLT

Trion/the Defiance team don't define this as an RPG. It is an open world third person shooter. They don't even call it an MMO in the website game description. This game is so far from an RPG, I don't see how it could even be accidentally labeled as an RPG.

I mostly agree with you. However, if you really want to strip down the definition of RPG (as many people want to do these days) then all a game needs to do to be an RPG is let you "custom" build a character that you use as an avatar of yourself (or what you want to be) in a fictional world. Defiance more then meets that criteria.

This isn't the days of Wizardry when you had to have serious character customization, a D-20 based combat system and crazy freedom in the UI in terms of character commands to be considered an RPG.

Also, they avoid the MMO label because there is a growing negative stigma to that phrase and many companies are moving away from it. Just look at Bungie with Destiny. From what I've seen they are seriously avoiding that term dispute the fact that they seem to be building a clear MMO.

Edited by bigbear.

Really? You enjoyed it? Or are you just saying that out of spite towards me? Because the story line in this game is just... blah. I've seen better B-Movie grade stories in ye olde VCR tapes.

Not an RPG you say?

Leveling up? Check.

Lots of weapons, grenades, shields? (I.e. loot) - Check.

These two are probably the most basic aspects needed to identify a game as an RPG.

Whether you shoot a gun, move in turns or swing a sword is irrelevant.

Those do not necessarily define an RPG. CoD games let you level up and unlock all sorts of things like that. Is CoD an RPG?

I'm not saying the game doesn't have RPG elements. I just wouldn't define it as an RPG. It is a third person shooter with RPG elements built in. It is first and foremost an open world online shooter.

And yes, I enjoyed the storyline. Was it gripping, did it have me on the edge of my seat? Nope, but I still enjoyed it.

EDIT: And I just want to be clear, I hold no grudge against anyone I've been discussing anything with in this thread. I just enjoy a good discussion!

Edited by xhunterrrr

Alright, ya'll need to chill out for a few.

First off, if you don't like the game, and don't want to play it, then do just that. Don't Play the Game. There is no need for any of you to bitch here about how this is not how it should be, or how much we should get because of this. They're finally releasing the DLC, which was already delayed due to bugs, which, as seen, is fixing a lot of issues and adding new content to the game.

Instead, this has become a illogical hate thread. There is no meaning to flame the game if you don't like it. Just say you do not like the game. That's all that's needed. If someone asks you why, you tell them why, but don't be a bigot about it. After you told them why, you move on. Is it really that hard to do so?

This game is Different from other Games we played. It's not like Rift, or WoW, Or GoW, or even CoD. It's a different breed. You don't like it? Ok, suit yourself. No one should give 2 shits about you liking the game or not, that's your opinion. If they do, tell them to fuck off and just go. Simple, no?

OT: Can't wait for the DLC and update this month. I'll finally be able to try freight yard with my clan and hopefully change my character to a Castithan

Alright, ya'll need to chill out for a few.

First off, if you don't like the game, and don't want to play it, then do just that. Don't Play the Game. There is no need for any of you to bitch here about how this is not how it should be, or how much we should get because of this. They're finally releasing the DLC, which was already delayed due to bugs, which, as seen, is fixing a lot of issues and adding new content to the game.

Instead, this has become a illogical hate thread. There is no meaning to flame the game if you don't like it. Just say you do not like the game. That's all that's needed. If someone asks you why, you tell them why, but don't be a bigot about it. After you told them why, you move on. Is it really that hard to do so?

This game is Different from other Games we played. It's not like Rift, or WoW, Or GoW, or even CoD. It's a different breed. You don't like it? Ok, suit yourself. No one should give 2 shits about you liking the game or not, that's your opinion. If they do, tell them to fuck off and just go. Simple, no?

OT: Can't wait for the DLC and update this month. I'll finally be able to try freight yard with my clan and hopefully change my character to a Castithan

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I think you are the one that needs to calm down. No one is "hating" on this game, from what I can tell. Nor are there any bigots in this thread seeing as no one has said anything disrespectful, hateful, prejudiced, etc. against another person.

As I said, I look as this as a discussion about the game, about the DLC, and about RPGs in general. There is nothing wrong with having a discussion as long as it doesn't turn into flaming each other. Which it hasn't. Your post was probably the most inappropriate and overly aggressive post in this thread so far.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I think you are the one that needs to calm down. No one is "hating" on this game, from what I can tell. Nor are there any bigots in this thread seeing as no one has said anything disrespectful, hateful, prejudiced, etc. against another person.

As I said, I look as this as a discussion about the game, about the DLC, and about RPGs in general. There is nothing wrong with having a discussion as long as it doesn't turn into flaming each other. Which it hasn't. Your post was probably the most inappropriate and overly aggressive post in this thread so far.

ok, as long as we're clear on that :)

This game is Different from other Games we played.
Please, define how this game is different from all the rest?

Mundane story (though it was promised to be nothing like anything that a game in similar scale had). Wrong, it's SyFy cancelled show material. Wouldn't be surprised if the show got cancelled, within a month or two (just an observation, don't hate).

It's UI, loot system and maybe even abilities/perks scream of Borderlands. Even the enemies remind me of Borderlands big time. Only thing that's separating it from a MMO Borderlands experience, is the competative aspect, which must enforce a horizontal progression system, in order to be balanced. Which is understandable, but nothing new.

It's only different, because Trion advertises it as "different than any other", because it catches people's ears, that's why.

I'm no means a game expert, but Defiance is hardly something new and original.

It's fun, I'm having fun while playing it, but it's not a revolutionary game. If it was so original and groundbreaking, it wouldn't be bashed by critics so much.

Edited by KriugerisLT

Mundane story (though it was promised to be nothing like anything that a game in similar scale had). Wrong, it's SyFy cancelled show material. Wouldn't be surprised if the show got cancelled, within a month or two (just an observation, don't hate).

It's UI, loot system and maybe even abilities/perks scream of Borderlands. Even the enemies remind me of Borderlands big time. Only thing that's separating it from a MMO Borderlands experiance, is the competative aspect, which must enforce a horizontal progression system, in order to be balanced. Which is understandable, but nothing new.

It's only different, because Trion advertises it as "different than any other", because it catches people's ears, that's why.

It's fun, I'm having fun while playing it, but it's not a revolutionary game.

I agree with this. The only thing really unique is the TV cross-over stuff, which hasn't been that impressive so far.

As for the show, I don't think it'll get cancelled after one season. It has been getting better over the weeks and the audience seems to enjoy it enough.

It's UI, loot system and maybe even abilities/perks scream of Borderlands. Even the enemies remind me of Borderlands big time. Only thing that's separating it from a MMO Borderlands experiance, is the competative aspect, which must enforce a horizontal progression system, in order to be balanced. Which is understandable, but nothing new.

It's fun, I'm having fun while playing it, but it's not a revolutionary game. If it was so original and groundbreaking, it wouldn't be bashed by critics so much.

The only "revolutionary" aspect so far has been the show tie-in which has been largely meaningless to each other.

EDIT: hunter with the ninja post!

It's hard to find a game these days to live up to it's hype. Last game that I played (and I still do) that is clearly unique and deserving of praise - Dark Souls. Even Bioshock Infinite wasn't as impressive as it was thought out to be by gamers all these years when it was in development. Don't get me wrong, I loved the story in Bioshock:Inf, it was one of the best stories told in recent gaming history, but the GAMEPLAY was the aspect that was really lacking to be good. Bioshock 1 nailed everything, while Bioshock: Infinite nailed only some of it (mainly story, sound, artistic style/atmosphere-wise). Since this isn't a topic for Bioshock, I won't delve deeper into it.

But the point is, that nowadays it's incredibly hard to make something truly unique and original and say that it REALLY is. Most of it, is just blowing smoke into gamers eyes to make them more susceptible for the clutches of money grubbing publishers.