Is hardcore gaming even possible with motion sensing?

Vanilla Coke Zero

i consider myself pretty hardcore when it comes to games, and i can't see any redeeming qualities in motion sensing devices. it all seems like a big gimmick to me. i could see how one would enjoy it playing with other people in the living room, or little kids flailing their arms trying to make the magical dwarf hop up the tree. i just can't ever see it crossing over to hardcore territory though. there's only so much you can do by flailing your body around as if you're having a seizure.

any one else feel the same way?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just out of curiosity what do you consider hardcore gaming? from the post it makes it seem like you see it as a genre of games, where as I see it as a type of gamer. So I see it as someone that's really into games and getting good at them, so is kinect appealing to hardcore gamers? I think it could be if you're a hardcore gamer that enjoys low key games.

If you consider playing games like halo or CoD with motion sensors hardcore gaming then it may be possible just I think not anytime soon. I think it would also depend on how well the device can pick up your movement and how quickly and accurately it will respond to it in game. LOL that seems like it didn't make any sense.

Edited by TuMaBlAcK

just out of curiosity what do you consider hardcore gaming? from the post it makes it seem like you see it as a genre of games, where as I see it as a type of gamer. So I see it as someone that's really into games and getting good at them, so is kinect appealing to hardcore gamers? I think it could be if you're a hardcore gamer that enjoys low key games.

there are certain games i consider hardcore. not in terms of difficulty, but in terms of not being as main stream as a Call of Duty or Halo. in other words, a game that only a hardcore gamer could really appreciate.

I believe the Kinect (or similar peripheral) is designed for practicality with its games (ie: sports etc). What you would refer to as "hardcore" games would also be a factor. Assuming you mean first person shooters, third person rpgs, or whatever. It would be possible, but the practicality of such a game would simply make it not fun, so to speak. Like playing a racing game or whatever with a guitar controller. You could, but would it be fun? No.

Of course it is possible? Why wouldn't it be? Hardcore doesn't entail disliking the things that are mainstream, or being good at one particular game, it is just a term used to describe people who are video game enthusiasts. Kinect is still a video game, so people who enjoy it along with the rest of the video game industry can still be considered hardcore.

Of course it is possible? Why wouldn't it be? Hardcore doesn't entail disliking the things that are mainstream, or being good at one particular game, it is just a term used to describe people who are video game enthusiasts. Kinect is still a video game, so people who enjoy it along with the rest of the video game industry can still be considered hardcore.

Kinect is for casual gamers and kids imo...theres no appeal for gamers who like mature rated content like shooters/rpg's/strategy. Even sports games are dumbed down with motion controls...its not like you get to play Madden or MLB with kinect...no instead you get to use your stupid avatar who looks like it was designed by a 4 yr old to play kiddy sports games with other kiddy avatars. I am sure motion controls will someday be good but I don't see them getting passed games for casual players anytime soon.

I really hate the idea of motion sensing. It's rediculous. If people want to exercise, go to the Gym! After all, that's what it's there for.

I play games when I want to relax but still want to do something. Motion sensing ruins the idea of people playing games while they are in bed... or sick.

Screw Motion Sensing. IMHO. We simply don't need it.

I really hate the idea of motion sensing. It's rediculous. If people want to exercise, go to the Gym! After all, that's what it's there for.

I play games when I want to relax but still want to do something. Motion sensing ruins the idea of people playing games while they are in bed... or sick.

Screw Motion Sensing. IMHO. We simply don't need it.

You know, know one is forcing you to play the games. To me, this has started to become an argument like "aw, First Person Shooters suck, if I wanted to do that, I'd go play paintball. They shouldn't put games like that out." It is just a different type of game, you can play it or not as your tastes dictate. But like FPS's, motion gaming isn't going away.

i see people claiming they are hardcore gamers because they play alot of fps alot. i'm not quite why thats hardcore when they complain about casual games. which for me a fps would count as highly casual because its a pick up and play mainstreem type of game.

i think the terms casual and hardcore are thrown about and have zero meaning because no one knows what they mean.

for example i consider games such as tetris andlumines and games like that as pretty hardcore because they are hard tomaster. yet people say they are casual.

yet people sy fps games are hardcore because it has online. whereas i see it as a huge casual game type. because everyone buys hem. they are easy to pick up and play off the bat.

i always assumed a hardcore gamer was someone who played something specific and mastered the hell out of it. whereas people who pick a game up and finish it and get the next in game as casual

The problem here is the definition of hardcore. Its just a term gamers use to make them feel big and special really. Casual are surely people who play occasionally, and by this hardcore are people who play a lot? Makes no difference what you play, when you play it or how. FPS people who only play FPS are no more 'HARDCORE' then RPS players, they just like FPS more.

I suppose I could be classed as hardcore, because I play a lot of games and I play them often. But just prefer to be called a regular gamer.

So the question should be how complex and what range of game can Kinect be used for. There was a preview of a Shooter stile game for Kinect, but I still don't know how this would work in practice (how would you shoot?).

I also HATE it when people get on there high-horse with 'If you want to play sports games go to a Gym'. Think before you comment. Not everyone is equal, some of people are house-bound, have illnesses and various other personal situations that prevent them from going out or doing sports, but would love to. You going to start telling people in wheel-chairs to go for a run instead of playing sport/football games on the xbox. Or even tell a blind person, you don't want to listen to the radio, go read a book.

Its up to the individual to make the most of what they were given in life, unless its harming someone else. LEAVE THEM BE !!

Soz for the rant, but people like this remind me of just how insensitive people are to other peoples situations. Just because you can do something, does not mean everyone can.

Edited by Damage

How hardcore would someone look anyway flailing around infront of their tv? Motion sensing is in its own category with its specific type of games. Obviously those games are different from regular games because it requires the person to physically move for the game to work.

There are no "hardcore" games, only.. "hardcore" gamers I guess. How would some be classified as a "hardcore" gamer anyway? Being really, really, really good at it? Good job, you're better than anyone else. You are now "hardcore". Whatever.

So the appropriate question would be "Can you be hardcore playing motion sensing games". Obviously the individuals who are in better shape are going to be better at it then some fat slob who thinks hes a "hardcore" gamer.

there are certain games i consider hardcore. not in terms of difficulty, but in terms of not being as main stream as a Call of Duty or Halo. in other words, a game that only a hardcore gamer could really appreciate.

To say that games can't be hardcore simply because they are mainstream is a total load of crap. So you're telling me that I have to love something like Zero Wing or Eternal Ring to be a hardcore gamer?

Sorry, but that doesn't fly. Not in the least bit. That's like saying just because I like metallica means I'm not a true metal fan. Or that since I like the movie Spiderman, I can't really be a hardcore comic book junkie. Complete crap.

Hardcore gaming is a mindset. I think that how much time you put in definitely factors into it, but isn't necessarily the only thing that quantifies a hardcore gamer. It's all about the passion. Nothing to do with the games you play. I play Reach more than I play anything else (2 - 4 hrs a day) but I also play a lot of other games. Since I play halo, I'm not a hardcore gamer, is what you seem to be saying.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I think the potential is there, but nobody is looking to go after the hardcore market yet as far as motion games go. I think it would work best with an RPG if we're speaking of Kinect and the current capabilities of the system. It's hard to make a shooter when there's no peripherals to work with, so maybe the Move would be better suited to such games. I've always loved lightgun shooters, which is one of the reasons I love the wii so much.

But as for right now, I don't think the question matters. Both MS and Sony are going after the casual market, trying to steal some of the marketshare back from nintendo. Until they stop worrying about simply grabbing money and remember all of us who have supported them since the 8-bit days, I doubt we'll see any forays into the motion gaming scene that we'd really appreciate for more than 20 or so minutes.

You know, know one is forcing you to play the games. To me, this has started to become an argument like "aw, First Person Shooters suck, if I wanted to do that, I'd go play paintball. They shouldn't put games like that out." It is just a different type of game, you can play it or not as your tastes dictate. But like FPS's, motion gaming isn't going away.

This is very true. I'm not saying that people shouldn't play these games or have companies stop making them. Each to their own.

I just don't want Microsoft or Sony doing what Nintendo have done where the gaming market is 95% motion controlled. You hear people saying "well, that's where games are heading" and fine, it's a new technology but there are quite a few people who don't like that sort of gaming. I like Nintendo, but the Wii is just crap IMHO and for more than just the motion control. A lot of people bought Xbox360's and PS3's over the Wii because of their own personal taste (obviously not motion control and much better and a bigger range of hardcore games). To me, motion controlling is a 'family' orientated thing and is much less serious. I don't care if people buy and play motion controlled games. I just personally don't it and don't want the gaming market to go into that direction.

Besides, you said that it goes to the same argument as

"aw, First Person Shooters suck, if I wanted to do that, I'd go play paintball."
Personally again, I don't like First Person Shooters, however you can't go and kill people in real life with a gun, However we can go bowling in real life. There is a bit of a difference.

You know, know one is forcing you to play the games.
That's right, no one is forcing me. But the question of this thread is... "Is hardcore gaming even possible with motion sensing" so I am clearly posting my opinion in the right thread. Maybe it is you that has got it wrong!?!

Well, if the future of gaming is motion sensing, and in a few hundred years

Call of Duty 56: Space Warfare will have people who actually put on some motion body suit on them or their whole room senses where they are .. or you actually get teleported in the game..

i wouldn't be into it

im not really enjoying kinect and PS move and all this other shit, i prefer the original controller

and besides, all the games out for kinect right now are shit, and kiddie.