Do you play guitar?

JonnyC VT

im 14 and i play guitar on a fender mexican stratocaster (lefty!) and i went to one of my friends house for their birthday and i heard he had guitar hero 2 for ps2...i played it...and i friggin sucked lol but i got better as i played and now im addicted to it...i cant wait for it to come out on xbox 360! whoot!

• 2 weeks later...

i play real guitar too, i am good at this game but its seems that people who do not play guitar do a lot better then us who do play. i can play most of these songs on normal guitar exspecially the metal one's EX. Laid to Rest, Madhouse, Hanger 18, etc. but i found that the solos are a hell of a lot harder on guitar hero then they are on guitar, exspecially the tap section in the solos.

So what about some poor schmuck like me? I can't usually clap my hands in time with a beat unless I am actively watching someone else clap their hands also. Hehehehehehe.

Seriously, is there ANY point to me trying to play this game? Also, do you have to have the special controller to do it, or is it playable - just harder - with the regular 360 controller?

Join the club! I've never played a real guitar, the only musical ability I have is from playing the drums for 3 years (but that was like 10 yrs ago!).

This is DEFINITELY a point to you getting this game, as long as you enjoy rock music and gaming in general. It will take a bit of practice but the first few easy songs are really easy and will ease you in gently. The songs basically get harder and harder so once you play through on easy the step up to an 'easier' medium song isn't really very big. I played this recently on the PS2 and after an evening of rocking I could hit around 95% of notes on the sme of the songs on medium difficulty.

Compared to a lot of people on this thread I completely suck at this game, but I'm still having loads of fun and I am determined to try and beat medium and some of the hard tracks as well once it comes out on 360 :drunk

• 2 months later...

Never played guitar or Guitar Hero until early April when I got GHII for 360. Only got 13 more Expert songs to 5 star :)

Edit: 13 in Campaign mode, not total. But I've got 5 stars on all of the bonus/download tracks on Hard except for Six and Bark at the Moon, and about half of them on Expert.

ive played guitar and been self taught through tabs and such and i turned out pretty good (not the best but can hold my own) and i can do rhythm and solos very well but GH2 made me feel like i never played guitar before when i started the expert career. but when i started to master gh2 i started different techniques and note progression on the real guitar. So i guess it can be a good tool to make you break out of the norm on guitar if you open your mind to it.

Guest CC99999

I was in a band from 1994-2005 called Princess Orgasma. I played several guitars, but my favorite was a 1970s Rickenbacker 12 string electric that I used up until 2003. Now I f* off with a Fender that I plug into a Roland MIDI pedal.

Although I wrote and recorded about 230 songs with Princess Orgasma, I do have some favorite song titles to share with you all:

Jack it to the Max! - I recorded it in 2005, it's about what you think it's about

The Cuckoo Feeds Off the Remains of Its Nestmates - I recorded in 1996

and finally,

Shave Your Dad - think of a 50s doo wop song about pubic hair. Silliness!

Off Topic - JonnyC VT! = VIRGINIA is NOT THE SOUTH :p

We Mississippians are the south :)

On topic - I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now, and yes i DO think that experience with real guitar makes me better at guitar hero. My other friends play the game with me and it always seems like the ones who play the guitar are better at the game! just my two cents. :)

Also : My guitar stuff (alot, with pictures!)

Fender Mustang Reissue

http://www.chrisguitars.com/case-fen67mustang-bk.jpg

Marshall MG 100 dfx

http://www.music-town.de/shop/images/artikel/detail/marshallmg100dfx.jpg

Ibanez Artwood Acoustic Guitar

http://www.rawpower.co.uk/acatalog/ibanez_aw40nt.jpg

plus a crapload of pedals and mixers :D

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like everyone has a different opinion.

I have been playing guitar for about 4 and a half years now, but I've learned that playing a real guitar is much more forgiving than Guitar Hero is.

Just got GH2 end of May and I've only completed up to Hard Tour difficulty and a few in expert, but learning GH2 is a totally new instrument that learning guitar.

A real guitar isn't digital, therefore it doesn't care if you hit your notes milliseconds out of place, hell improvisation is what makes playing live shows that much better. If you fuck up by one fret no one notices if you are playing distorted anyways.

GH is dead on, and it takes practice to get the timing and rhythm down in the game.

Playing regular guitar definitely helps with dexterity though, I've seen a few people on the forums complaining that their pinkie finger is dead.

So my question is this.

#1. Do you play guitar? If you do, how well do you do with this game. Not too good, decent, or does your guitar playing help you in this game.

#2. If you don't play guitar, do you feel like you still suck at this, are you okay, or are you the Guitar Hero that I so struggle to be?

#1 Yes I do, and some days I feel like I'm good at this game and sometimes I feel like I suck.... The "real" guitar has a little more flex to it... if you turn up the volume high enough and hit the fret you will still get sound without strumming... something i would love to see put into the next guitar hero.... then we could all play eruption! which is a song i will never get past the intro on in real life.

#2 I think people that dont play have the advantage because they arent thinking about how what they are doing with the controller should work on a real guitar...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm absolutely killing myself over this game. I play real guitar (and bass, and drums for that matter), so my ryhthm isn't exactly the problem. I've wormed my way through Hard mode, but am unable to five star all of them.

At the moment, I'm going for the 1000 notes in a row, and the 400k club achievements and I'm using X-treme on Hard. About 5 minutes ago I hit 998 notes in a row and that resulted in something like 399,576 points.

I've never been so angry in my entire life.

^^^ I have the same problem and have pondered it for a while. My thinking now is this: A real guitar is going to sound the instant the pick or finger hits the string, in the middle of your arms sweep. The GH2 controller doesn't register the note as hit until the button on the sensor is depressed. For the button to be pressed, your hand must have gone slightly past the mid point, which is when you are expecting the note to sound if you play a real instrument.

Personally, i have been able to fix a lot of this for myself by taking apart the xplorer and putting a small piece of the soft side of velcro at the contact points where the strum button hits the body. NOT the contact point where the strum button hits the sensor.