Do you play guitar?

JonnyC VT

So I play guitar and I love this game. The only problem is that I have trouble rockin' out. Now by all means, I'm no Hendrix, Clapton, or Van Halen on the axe, but I can certainly hold my own in the real world. But for some reason, I cant shred like the rest of you.

I have a very far reach with my left hand (about 6 frets), so when I play this game, half the time I miss the buttons by 2 or more, sometimes just hitting the neck without the buttons. Some of the slower songs I get into and do different or additional strums and start sucking. I have no problem with rythm, and if asked, thats what I do best if you were to talk to people. But I just cant tame the beast that is expert.

So my question is this.

#1. Do you play guitar? If you do, how well do you do with this game. Not too good, decent, or does your guitar playing help you in this game.

#2. If you don't play guitar, do you feel like you still suck at this, are you okay, or are you the Guitar Hero that I so struggle to be?

Haha, just thought this would be an interesting thread since I play guitar and have been for years and really cant get this game mastered. I dont suck at all, but I really miss when I bump er' up to expert levels.

I posted in another thread that I play guitar. I've noticed that my playing helped me out a lot...but only when I hit hard and expert. I'm use to most of the songs so when I play I'm ready to hit everything note for note. However remember JCriz, the interviewed the singer from Queens of the Stone Age about his song on the first Guitar Hero. He said something to the extent of, "I'm honored to be on the game, but I'm pissed because I can't even play my own song."

Oh, and on a completely different rant...I was actually very dissapointed in "Laid to Rest" by Lamb of God. The singer is disgusting and the note translation seemed awful! :mad:

No, I dont' t play guitar and I am very good at this game.

I did take lessons for about a year but I hated it because I was learning gay stuff instead of cool stuff (like the songs on guitar hero) and I've almost completed the game 5*s on expert but I'm so hooked on Lost Planet that I haven't played in a while

my dad, who sucks at video games and is not very good at any of them when he tries, picked this up and tried it and did really well surprisingly. he has played his guitar his whole life. 95% just acoustic...maybe that has something to do with it? but yeah, it definitely helped him pick it up quick.

I hope they bring out a limited edition Banjo version of the controller. Then we can duel!

DUDE! Funny as hell you said that Zef...I just started playing banjo about 6 months ago, and thought the same thing...So you wanna duel?:uzi:

And Shaaady, I play acoustic guitar like your dad, not much in the way of electric. So yeah, I guess everyone knows I'm from Virginia now, seeing as I play guitar and banjo. YEEEHAW!

Sad thing about Guitar Hero is being able to play guitar has no positive effect on the game, or vice versa: Guitar Hero doesn't build guitar skill. I play guitar, and I have for about a year now, and guitar hero is no walk in the park for me still. Even the songs I know on the real guitar I can barely do on the Guitar Hero one.

Ofcourse playing guitar in real life and playing guitar hero isn't the same. However, being able to play does help in you dexterity. I mean with GH you're talking about 5 buttons instead of 25 frets. Still, one thing I found odd...

I can play "Laid to Rest" by Lamb of God on guitar, however when I tried to play it on anything other that "Hard" or "Expert" I always failed. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

*sigh*

The ONLY thing that playing REAL guitar helps with is muscle memory.

Mind you, A) Guitar Hero is harder in some ways. B) There are only 5 frets as opposed to 132-144. C) Half the time, GH fucks with your ablity to play a real guitar.

Some of the songs are played the same and some are way different.

Oh, and I've played for ten years and own 16 guitars.

So what about some poor schmuck like me? I can't usually clap my hands in time with a beat unless I am actively watching someone else clap their hands also. Hehehehehehe.

Seriously, is there ANY point to me trying to play this game? Also, do you have to have the special controller to do it, or is it playable - just harder - with the regular 360 controller?

So what about some poor schmuck like me? I can't usually clap my hands in time with a beat unless I am actively watching someone else clap their hands also. Hehehehehehe.

Seriously, is there ANY point to me trying to play this game? Also, do you have to have the special controller to do it, or is it playable - just harder - with the regular 360 controller?

This game isnt so bad once you get the hang of it. It's not really the beat, it's knowing the pace and note placement of the songs.

I say that this is one game that everybody should experience at least once. Yes, the game is playable with the controller but comes with it's own guitar controller. :)

:confused:

It takes longer to master chord progression and scales.

I meant to pwn the average dude, which is most of my friends, I know a good deal about scales, modes, chord progressions, and all that theory stuff, and I still have a ton of stuff to learn, but it wasn't being arogant, I was just comparing the 2 :)

yea man, im 21 yrs old now, ive been playing since i was like 13, a bunch of guys in my hall bought both guitar hero 1 & 2 a lil while ago, and they all sucked ass...so they were like yo Don get ur ass in here and try this...but ya get smoked...very first song i played i did killing in the name of on hard and got like 98% notes hit, about 2 weeks later i beat both 1 & 2 on expert....and yes...i hate the queens of the stone age song....Spanish Castle Magic is my favorite though...but we are getting "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden on the 360 version....and i said this in another post....this is my all time favorite song to play on a real guitar....so i cant wait to see how it is on G.H.