Customization in Games

JonnyC VT

Is Customization in Gaming Important To You?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is Customization in Gaming Important To You?

• Yes
    • No
    • No preference, either is cool
    • "I'm a cold hearted snake, I'm not answering..."

The question is simple; Do you feel that customization in gaming is important?

A "yes" or "no" will do, but if you feel like adding thoughts and comments, please make them relative.

My take:

I ask a lot of my friends about this, and the answer is around 50/50. Some of us like to be creative, while the others enjoy diving into the game with default settings. Take Madden for example. One of my friends is content with starting the game, picking The Falcons, and playing. Must be all about the gameplay, I guess.

In my mind, that's boring. I will never care more about a real life team than the ramshackle crew I just created. I want to customize my team, logos, colors, jerseys, stadium, music, players, and the lot. It's more fun to me, and always will be. I used to create teams with all my friends on it, and I'd love to customize all players in their likeness. I'd cheer when they have success on the field, and I'd curse their names with any mistake. It's just more fun this way.

Lately, customization in gaming is LACKING. RPG's are about the only place you'll find any customization, but that's a given. I don't understand why sports titles have to drop features they've had for years. In my opinion, customization in games is going to really win the console war. People want to do their own thing, "sandbox" if you will. To be honest, I don't want to play the new GTA game as some random Russion guy. I want to be an Asian midget body-builder with a pink mo-hawk and a shirt that says "bad ass". I don't understand why companies are forcing normalcy on us...It's my game, I bought it, why can't the experience be mine?

So, what's the verdict? You guys like customization, or are you one of those people I hate ;)...

Love,

~Jon

YES! Of course I like Customization in games, Jonny!;)

It makes the game that much more fun and interesting. In many ways, it's like starting from the ground up...brand new if you will. Customizing anything from your own team in Madden or to Rainbow 6: Vegas, where you can actually put your face on the soldier using the Live Vision Camera. It's creative and being able to express yourself is what gaming should be. Who is playing the games? YOU are. Why not customize a car in Forza 2 to your likings. Why not be able to alter the appearance and equipment in Gears of War? Customizations in games gives an opportunity to really feel like you're in the games.

I, personally like the idea of customization in games. Some better than most, of course. There's just a sense of belonging. You control the games and what better way to play, than to play it customized by YOU.

I tend to get lost in customizations. The last one that I truly got lost in was Carbon. I 'played' it for about 2.5 hrs one time just setting up rims, bodykits, vinyls, paint color. Didn't get much progress done that day, but I had a damn good time putting 'me' on that car.

Jonny, I'm with you on the pink mohawk thing. I fooled around with some pretty ugly sick looking characters in the Tony Hawk series.:p

I think customization is very important. It's what separates a 4 star game from a 5 star game. It gives a sense of personality to what you're creating. To be cliche, you can say customization 'tells a story' somewhat. I also believe this is why Will Wright's 'Spore' is so hyped. Customization is the core of that game, and it may end up being truly awesome.

It doesn't matter much, as long as the game experience is enjoyable.

That doesn't mean I don't customize. I've played custom matches in Counterstrike and the RTS game Supreme Commander, and I have enjoyed them. What worries me, though, is that some people use "cheat" customizations that gives them an unfair advantage over others.

Well I'm definately in love with customization. Armored Core 4 is probably the most customizable mech game out there, and I couldn't get enough of it. I spent 72 hours total just making cool-looking mechs. It's also why I like Forza above all other racing games. I just love making designs and stuff on cars. I also can't wait for Halo 3 to come out, becaus eit will have such a new level of cutomization, good players can be easily recognized. Like, "There's the guy with the ninja symbol and C.Q.B. armor, RUN!!!!" or "Hey it's the elite with the siley face symbol, he sucks!!!".

Customization just plainly enriches the gaming experience. And it seems most everyone agrees.

Depends. I like it to be there normally, but there are certain games where I don't care. In sports games it doesn't bother me if there isn't any customizing, because I don't create them anyway, I just always pick a team that I'm a real life fan of.

Customization doesn't really make or break a game for me, but of course I like it when it's presented. Customization is fun and lets you put your own signature on a game in some way, but I can hardly say it's necessary since so many of my favorite games had little to no customization what so ever (Zelda, Goldeneye, MGS, FF7, RS3:RS, GRAW2, etc etc).

Customization was the greatest thing ever created for games, I love it and always will.

But the next gen developers decided to be gay and keep it out.

I mean, come on EA, it took three years before you brought ANY customization at all into Madden. (08 has francise changes). And NCAA still has no Create-A-Team. These make the game.

Of course customization is important! People want to feel like they are ''in'' the game by making characters like themselves, so they don't have to wear annoying, uncontrollable ''virtual reality'' helmets. Of course, some people just like to make someone look as close to david bowie as possible (trust me, it can be done.) So either way, customization is important.

Dear Jon

I am with you 100% of the way. There is nothing I love more than creating my own section of the game I play. When I was in High School, I would create My Football team, and every other team we played. Now that took some time and a few memory cards on the old PS1. It was the fun and actual feeling of "hey, I did that" that made it awesome...only down side was we won all the games on the video game and didn't fair so hot in reality, but oh well right...Forza right now has it down for me...being able to do pretty much what I want to my car is awesome...where else can you have a Lexus is300 or whatever the number is that is a S Class car? Pushing over 500hp? Only on my screen baby!!!