Review Opinions Needed...

JonnyC VT

As I'm gathering information to form my review for the site, I'm finding it very hard to form a lot of positives. Faulty equipment, poor interfaces, and limiting Co-Op play are really bringing down the score.

It's very easy to pull for this game because of it's price tag and hype, but there are an insane amount of flaws. I'm aware that the review I eventually post is opinion, but I'm wanting to know what some of ya'lls initial thoughts are and if you have any overbearing positives or negatives. No novels, just key points. Realize that this wont sway me, and I don't need criticism for an unwritten review.

So, I guess I'm shooting for initial thoughts with the game. What you've liked, what you've hated, and if you've had any equipment problems.

Love,

~Jon

This is an EXTREMELY fun game, and I think the good outweighs the bad.

For one, not EVERYONE has flaws with instruments. I'll admit, my Guitar just stopped working correctly, but that was after already beating the Expert career and playing the heck out of it. I'm in the process of exchanging it.

I don't really know what "poor interface" is, so care to explain?

And as for limited Co-Op, not really. There is an online band mode and a normal band mode for local play. You can only play Band World Tour locally, but it's not that big of a deal. The fun thing is the fact that you have everyone in a room working together.

I love this game and have been playing it rather non-stop since I got it.:)

I'm liking the game so far, I think my guitar is also starting to go on the fritz, having trouble turning on the star power and the strum bar is starting to respond funny, The only real complaint I can find is really the lack of online co-op, I could swear I remember hearing or reading something about that being included in the game a few months back..

What I meant by "limiting Co-Op" was the fact that after gaining a certain amount of fans, your band can only continue on harder difficulties. When playing with 4 friends, all of different skill levels, it's pretty crappy to think that my friends wife has to play drums on hard or expert, and my girlfriend has to sing on expert. It's stupid to cap skills so you cannot progress as a group any longer.

What good is an awesome 4 player game, when you're made to feel like shit cause you cant keep up to difficulty levels that the game 'requires'. Plain and simple: not fair. I know many family's that had to stop playing after they broke the medium cap, and for $170, you sure as hell should be able to enjoy the game start to finish.

I'll explain poor layout in the review. Everything I've said is meticulously thought out and I'm not trying to be an asshole. I love rhythm games, but this one has lots holding it down.

And I'm sorry, but the peripherals that come packaged with the bundle are just as much part of the game as the instruction manual. If my drum set is hit and miss, that's the games problem. If my assault rifle in Halo didn't fire properly, that's the developers fault. This game was built with a 4 player experience in mind, and the components that are necessary to do so are...cheap...

Any other initial thoughts guys?

Um...okay....besides the fact that I havnt played this and put aside any faulty instruments...

I have heard nothing about "limiting factors".So,what i'm getting of this,is that if me and my brother were playing BWT,me on hard and him on medium,we would eventually hit a point where the game would tell him to pretty much play on hard or fuck off?I seriously doubt that.From what I've heard is that the limiting factors are on achievements,which,in truth,dont have any real affect on the GAME

I have heard nothing about "limiting factors".So,what i'm getting of this,is that if me and my brother were playing BWT,me on hard and him on medium,we would eventually hit a point where the game would tell him to pretty much play on hard or fuck off?I seriously doubt that.From what I've heard is that the limiting factors are on achievements,which,in truth,dont have any real affect on the GAME

You can continue to play, but you will stop gaining fans after a certain point. Fans restrict access to certain venues necessary to complete BWT. That being said, completing BWT isn't necessarily the goal for everybody. I had no intentions of competing it when I started it. I knew that the people in my band couldn't play at expert. We just wanted to play together and have fun.

As for it being a flaw in the game, it's part of the rock band experience. Would a band with members that couldn't play very well ever make big it in the real world? Why should weak players be rewarded in a game seeking to bring the rock band experience home? To me, it's pretty crappy to think that someone who can't play harder than Easy should get the same rewards I get by practicing and playing Expert.

I agree that it's degrading to cap the fans for BWT, but if you bought Rock Band for the career mode (or the story for that matter) you bought the wrong freakin' game.

Think about it. Are you playing the game to progress and beat it or to just have fun? I have way more fun just in a quickplay with friends than trying to beat BWT anyway, and I will probably pop this game in at least once a week until the next one comes out for that reason - fun.

Faulty instruments are always a possibility. We're talking about EA here after all. From what I've heard, they're doing a good job of replacing the bad ones (unless you're an idiot and open the things up...) I was one of those people who opened everything up, tested it all, everything worked perfectly so I thought I was set, but then the whammy bar snapped on me not even 10 minutes ago.

It's not without it's quirks. If you play games for fun, this is where to go, but if the chance of something not working strikes fear in your heart, then stay away.

NO NO NO NO NO

Fans have NOTHING to due with unlocking anything. They only account for the money you earn. The stars you earn are what unlocks different venues. Stars are the same across all difficulties. The only reason that there is a fan cap is because there is an achievement for 1,000,000 fans. If you could get that on easy, it wouldn't be much of an achievement. Fans and unlocks are unrelated. There is no reason you can't progress, you just can't reach 1,000,000 fans.

NO NO NO NO NO

Fans have NOTHING to due with unlocking anything. They only account for the money you earn. The stars you earn are what unlocks different venues. Stars are the same across all difficulties. The only reason that there is a fan cap is because there is an achievement for 1,000,000 fans. If you could get that on easy, it wouldn't be much of an achievement. Fans and unlocks are unrelated. There is no reason you can't progress, you just can't reach 1,000,000 fans.

There ARE certain venues that you can't access unless you have more fans.

NO NO NO NO NO

Might want to tell that to Harmonix. They seem not to have gotten the memo.

http://www.ook-ook.net/tokyo.jpg

http://www.ook-ook.net/seattle.jpg

http://www.ook-ook.net/newyork.jpg

Yes, the drum peripherals are shoddy at best. And yes, we use Guitar Hero guitars because the Strat broke (our fault, it got stepped on). But the Band World Tour and the steady stream of DLC are what really sell this game for me. We are in week 3 of release and aside from the DLC tracks available at launch there have been 2 more artist packs. When I look at that I see that by mid April the game will have virtually doubled the number of tracks it shipped with (assuming 3 new songs a week). Granted, you do have to pay for them, but I'm happy to pay 2 bucks to play Synchronicity II or Heroes.

As for the fan cap, yes it is a drag. But its also a motivator to improve in skills. If you just want to be able to play all the songs, I'd suggest motoring through one of the careers first. Once you've done that, all the songs are unlocked. There's really nothing like playing a mystery setlist of Say it Ain't So and Run to the Hills.