To ensure a cinematic experience it is necessary to watch the cut scenes

eiVaL

http://i.imgur.com/GlJeR.jpg

they knew it was gonna piss people off before they even released it, the fact they already created the question and answered it themselves's proves it...LOOK AT THE DATE THEY POSTED IT, 2 months before release LOL

EDIT for any new viewers to this thread, this expresses the exact purpose of this thread:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGORttEnzA]Storytelling in Videogames - To Cutscene or not to Cutscene - YouTube[/ame]

as posted here which includes another link to a more specific in-game experience with it:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=5676756&postcount=61

Edited by eiVaL

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chirst. All you idiots complaining about this really must have shit for brains. THERE IS NO WAY TO AVOID LOADING TIMES! Rockstar made the choice to do cinematic scenes IN PLACE of loading screens. What would you rather look at, a black screen with a loading icon, or a cut scene...

Really, can people just quit bitching over this. Rockstar choose the best option.

And to pre-emptivley counter the 'Oh well the cutscenes add to the load times' response. Trust me, the bulk of the time is building/preparing the level so I doubt it would add much time at all.

http://i.imgur.com/GlJeR.jpg

they knew it was gonna piss people off before they even released it, the fact they already created the question and answered it themselves's proves it...LOOK AT THE DATE THEY POSTED IT, 2 months before release LOL

As much as you have a point, would of it been so hard to post this image in the thread called "Unskippable Cutscenes".

Yes omg! As if r* head wasn't big enough, they think story

And cinematics are sooooo great u must watch... But after couple mins loading before the ch, cutscene at the begining and end, AND at least another 2-3 unskippable cinematic during the middle, and that's PER chapter. Times 5 play thrus, ugh :( , 1/3 of ur gameplay time will prob be watching these stupid cutscenes, having to listen to a poor sap Moap around and talk about wanting to die, lol. GET OVER YOURSELF ROCKSTAR SERIOUSLY!

The reason you can not skip the cut scenes is because the game is loading. Instead of giving you a black screen with some quotes and random images, the game is giving you the cut scenes to watch and is loading in the background. So until it is done loading you can't skip. I personally think this is a great idea because the story is good and there are no boring loading screens taking away from the gameplay.

The reason you can not skip the cut scenes is because the game is loading. Instead of giving you a black screen with some quotes and random images, the game is giving you the cut scenes to watch and is loading in the background. So until it is done loading you can't skip. I personally think this is a great idea because the story is good and there are no boring loading screens taking away from the gameplay.

...of course it's a great idea...until you played through this game a motherfucking FIFTH TIME...then it's not so great anymore huh...

still the loading times are looong. i already know this issue is gonna bother me when i've played it once.

Also, the game is unecessary hard. Gone is the flow of past MP games and hello rockstar shit controls. Rockstar make great games, but controls have never been a force of theirs.

Before this game I revisited Dead Space 2 for the last achieves and controls in that game is fantastic, so when popping in MP it really showed me how bad they have made it. Seeing as both games are 3rd person I think it's a fair comparison. Don't get me wrong, Rockstar is a great gamedev, but controls... those fellas need to copy some others instead of holding on to this clunky movement.

Edited by OldTymer72

Chirst. All you idiots complaining about this really must have shit for brains. THERE IS NO WAY TO AVOID LOADING TIMES! Rockstar made the choice to do cinematic scenes IN PLACE of loading screens. What would you rather look at, a black screen with a loading icon, or a cut scene...

Really, can people just quit bitching over this. Rockstar choose the best option.

And to pre-emptivley counter the 'Oh well the cutscenes add to the load times' response. Trust me, the bulk of the time is building/preparing the level so I doubt it would add much time at all.

This. They just made the cutscenes load times. Stop bitching and play the fucking game, or don't. It's your choice.

Glad to see you think it takes that long to load. I think it's a smoke screen IMO. I would prefer to sit through a black load screen then some of the lame cinemas. I think that should be my choice.

How about you quit bitching about people voicing thier complaints and quit calling people names. Also don't ask people to "Trust" you when start off bashing thier views.

This just another over rated Rockstar game (again IMO) It's full of flaws that people seem willing to over look for what ever reason. I would love to skip more cinemas or even watch a black load screen instead.

people who defend the loading are missing the point

its not like this is a GTA/RDR type game with hours of open gameplay

were watching unskippable cutscenes, that are supposedly loading the next playable section....yet as we all see, 99% of those areas are just short walking sections or a meaningless 2-3 guy fight and another rediculously long unskippable cutscene.

thats why its ridiculous. its there way to avoid just straight up saying, its a movie packaged as a game, which is what Metal Gear Solid got criticized for alot, but nobody wants to talk bad proffesionally about a rockstar game and give it a bad review cause of this, cause they wanna make sure they stay on their good side so they make the list for preview releases of GTA V possibly later this year

Sweet! How about Rockstar throw all artistic vision out the window for the one idiot who wants to disagree just for the hell of it.

i think the fact they actually had their team develop the words "still loading..." appear every time you press ANY BUTTON, and continues to flash with each press of every button for the entire duration of every cutscene, every time, till it eventually fades out and you can control max, as if they're litterally laughing and saying F'U allong with this FAQ Q/A addressing it 2 months before the game even came out and anyone even knew about the issue.

the bottomline is, its not loading anything, they purposly developed it to not be skipped cause they have to hide the fact theres only 10 minutes of actual gameplay in the entire campaign

Sweet! How about Rockstar throw all artistic vision out the window for the one idiot who wants to disagree just for the hell of it.

WTF?? Are you really that ignorant. I've watched every cut scene I've come accross. I don't need to see them over and over again. I'd also argue entertainment vs art with you but obviously you have a pretty limit scope of mental abilities.

i think the fact they actually had their team develop the words "still loading..." appear every time you press ANY BUTTON, and continues to flash with each press of every button for the entire duration of every cutscene, every time, till it eventually fades out and you can control max, as if they're litterally laughing and saying F'U allong with this FAQ Q/A addressing it 2 months before the game even came out and anyone even knew about the issue.

the bottomline is, its not loading anything, they purposly developed it to not be skipped cause they have to hide the fact theres only 10 minutes of actual gameplay in the entire campaign

Dude you literally just posted a Q&A direct from Rockstar saying it's loading. But since you made the game you must know that obviously they are just lying to you.

The cutscenes were fine the first time through but the game encourages you to play through it several times if you want all the achievements. They should be skip-able. If it's actually taking that long to load then holy shit, nice coding.

agreed. even with it installed to HD it takes 5 minutes to "load" the level. how is it that other games can use this tecnique of using cutscenes to hide load times, but still allow you to skip after 30 seconds.

some cutscenes in the middle of levels are skippable, but most arent. its turning a speed playthrough of the game into an 8 hour interactive movie!

The cutscenes were fine the first time through but the game encourages you to play through it several times if you want all the achievements. They should be skip-able. If it's actually taking that long to load then holy shit, nice coding.

they lock it on purpose, Arcade and Time Trial/NYM modes all have the same exact scenes during each chapter, yet you can press A to skip them and see no loading screens at all, it goes right to the next playable section.

and the time it takes from when you press "start" after selecting your chapter to the time it loads you into the action in Arc/TT/NYM isnt nearly as long as the so called "cutscenes to substitute a loading screen" sections of 99% of the normal Story Mode surrounding the very same action parts, so its all B.S. they just wanna be political and avoid saying its a interactive movie with 1% of actual gameplay cause nobody would buy it.

i wouldnt be surprised if the story achievments including beating it on each of the difficulties were locked to the actual storymode too and not able to unlock by just playing each chapter in arcade/timetrial/NYM, plus they got no excuse for why the golden guns couldnt atleast be collected in those modes, and just simply not let you use them when they unlock if they're worried about keeping it balanced vs the other times.

cause otherwise their reason for locking the scenes in storymode would be pointless since word would get around and nobody would play that mode and their cinematic vision could go f*** itself

Edited by eiVaL

This game has a lot more than 15 minutes of gameplay, nor does it take "5 minutes" to load anything as some other cry baby said. "1% gameplay" is quite the ridiculous claim as well.

No doubt the irony of throwing all sorts of ridiculous accusations around at Rockstar whilst doing the same themselves is completely lost on these people.

This game has a lot more than 15 minutes of gameplay

theres 14 chapters and a mode called New York Minute which has bronze time trials of under 1 minute for most levels, the longest is only 2 minutes and thats still bronze, which means it can easily be beaten much shorter amount of time.

compared to just 1 of the missions in the Gay Tony DLC for GTA IV, which had a time of 10 minutes as one of the requirements to get a 100% for the mission towards the achievement...1 mission in a DLC

so do we really wanna go into semantics about how long Max Paynes gameplay is when its clearly short as hell when you take out all the cutscenes....when every other game has its campaign time mentioned in its reviews which normally reflect the amount of hours you're actually using the controller, not watching a movie, i dont doubt this "game" clocks in the normal 5+ hours of "campaign" thats pretty much the normal length of games, but we all know thats a flawed statement.

just like CliffyB saying Gears 3 was 10+ hours when u can actually finish it in 3.

sorry, i dont say a movie is 5 hours long cause i add up the time i was taking a shower, getting dressed, eating, driving to and from the theatre plus the actual time of the movie too...no the movie is the movie, the gameplay is the gameplay, its marketed and sold as a game not a movie.

Edited by eiVaL