I find this game offensive.

anangke

I know I'm going to get alot of grief for this post but I just can't get over the fact that Limbo has the main character, a small boy, getting graphically killed. Even in the advertised pics they show a small boy hanging from a noose. I think this goes way beyond bad taste. I d it and played the trial and couldn't believe that they published it. I find this game and people who made it disgusting.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The art style in my opinion lessens the impact of the violence, as the game is black and white and the main character looks essentially like a shadow, being killed by other shadows, its all 'stylized' i guess. Also the character doesn't make any noises when he dies, no screams or whatever, which further lessens the impact. Any which way you look at it the game has been appropriately rated M15+, as the overall feel of the game is very sinister.

I completely agree with all the points you made, but I have to say that the game is rated T for Teen, with notes of animated blood and mild violence. Its not meant for young children and possibly some people who might find that type of material offensive. You obviously do, and that is your prerogative. You aren't wrong, up until your very last statement stating your disdain for the developers. Some things just aren't for everyone and this clearly is not a title for you.

I know I'm going to get alot of grief for this post but I just can't get over the fact that Limbo has the main character, a small boy, getting graphically killed. Even in the advertised pics they show a small boy hanging from a noose. I think this goes way beyond bad taste. I d it and played the trial and couldn't believe that they published it. I find this game and people who made it disgusting.

If feel this strongly then i sugest you stay away from Dantes Inferno ;)

OT:

Ive played and its isnt half as bad as you make it out to be. If you dont like it dont play it simples.

I can see where the OP is coming from although I don't find it disgusting I can see that people would think it was.

I think the OP's problem lies with the fact it is the silhouette of a young boy. Away from most FPS which show grown men / women. I haven't seen the promotional image of the boy being hung. But is that is true then that isn't particularly great.

I am going to get the game as I think it looks great but I can certainly see the OP's point.

You have played almost every FPS to come out in the last year or two and you are just now being offended by killing/gore? You make no sense.

Um actually he does make sense. The protagonist is a little boy, that does get killed in pretty bad ways. While that doesn't necessary bother me, it may bother him, which in this case it does. A war game vs a little boy being hanged, stabbed, broken neck, etc.

Vote with your dollars and don't buy the game. I watched some gameplay videos last night and I think the deaths are jarring and an immersive part of the game, and I'm not bothered by them at all. I'll be buying this when I get home from work.

Um actually he does make sense. The protagonist is a little boy, that does get killed in pretty bad ways. While that doesn't necessary bother me, it may bother him, which in this case it does. A war game vs a little boy being hanged, stabbed, broken neck, etc.

Yep, I agree, it does make a difference sometimes. Like this scene...

http://www.totalactionadventure.com/sites/default/files/game_reviews/limbo1.jpg

Was pretty - I don't want to say shocking... but just very intense. There was a very emotional response when I first saw that.

Yep, I agree, it does make a difference sometimes. Like this scene...

http://www.totalactionadventure.com/sites/default/files/game_reviews/limbo1.jpg

Was pretty - I don't want to say shocking... but just very intense. There was a very emotional response when I first saw that.

Yeah... Now while that is pretty wrong, I can't say I'd get the same emotional response if it was in say, a CoD game.

The stuff that offends the OP is a large part of what makes this game so fantastic imo. It's creepy, brutal, atmospheric, shocking etc., all of that, and as I play through all those moments I'm just sat there thinking 'wow, what an amazing game'.

Edited by Machina22

It is a game! I honestly will never understand why people get upset over these things. The boy is not real. The world that he is in is not real. Maybe it's just me, but I've never been affected by violence in videogames. If it were to really happen, then sure, I'd be disgusted. In a game however, the devs can do whatever they want to a fictional character in a fictional world.

Its not offensive, beacuse worst stuff happens in real life and people don't care. Yeah, you can chainsaw trough a alien that's Ok, i mean the alien if they saw it they would be pretty ofended, what about how people say they never put black people in ads or they only like the white perfect familes for casual game ads. there are so many offensive stuff in the video game industry but When LImbo comes out you get offended!

You've killed alien babies in Dead Space and now complain about Limbo? WTF?

I think it depends on how you interpret the game. If you take it as the boy is in "Limbo" then one could assume that he is already dead. Maybe that could ease your moral grief and allow you to experience one of the most creative and unique games, full retail or otherwise, to have been released this gen. If not well, I guess you could always just not play it.

Its a game wow i hate people who get all butt hurt about this stuff, the kid isnt real ok

:confused: But...you've earned the Dastardly achievement in Red Dead Redemption. :confused:

This is just part of the tale. They don't show it mocking the death. It's just more realistic and helps people immerse in the world. If you donÄt like the deaths, don't play further, because you won't like a certain puzzle (I won't spoiler but people who played the section know what I mean)

Sometimes media have to show it (And it's only a shadow) to get you more emotional involved in the game. I don't wanna go against your opinion, but sometimes people have just to calm the fuck down a bit.

Definition of Limbo:

1. ( often initial capital letter)Roman Catholic Theology . a region on the border of hell or heaven, serving as the abode after death of unbaptized infants (limbo of infants) and of the righteous who died before the coming of Christ (limbo of the fathers or limbo of the patriarchs).

2. a place or state of oblivion to which persons or things are regarded as being relegated when cast aside, forgotten, past, or out of date: My youthful hopes are in the limbo of lost dreams.

3. an intermediate, transitional, or midway state or place.

4. a place or state of imprisonment or confinement.

There are no niceties in Limbo. No rainbows or unicorns, no happy times. I think they did a perfect job and create a nice location for the meaning of Limbo.

I understand that you think it's violent, but not everything is pleasant in life or after death.... I'm not giving you grief, but to feel like it's disgusting when the name says everything is just idiotic with no research done before hand.

Man there are more than a few assholes in here... While I won't go as far to say I'm disgusted by the developers, and there may be more games out there with increased gore factor, gruesome violence against a child like character, without upbeat music, can be a little harder to stomach. It's obviously subjective or there wouldn't be so many people trying to convince him that it's not a big deal. The point is that there are more people in this room that are "butthurt" just because someone doesn't like the violence against a child or child-like figure.

And one more point. He's not a hypocrit just because he has the Dastardly achievement from Red Dead Redemption. Mainly because it's a Rockstar game. We know by now what to expect from a Rockstar game.

Bring it.