Proper Moderation

Gackt

In the case of some users then telling them why a post is deleted will simply lead to more aggravation than any kind of resolution. I used to send a PM to every single person whose post I deleted/edited/locked - and the only thing I got back in return was abuse. So now I will post a reason in the thread in question and then move on.

Frankly with the amount of posts nowadays it would be completely impractical to send a personal message to each and every person. Especially when it is common sense why some stuff was removed. Case in point the thread you talk about - looking at one of the deleted messages and it merely quotes your post and says "+1 LOL". Tell me how that is a helpful post? Would that person really need a PM to explain why that was removed? I also debate that the other people in that thread were punished, as there was no real discussion just an appreciation of the link - though I or one of the other mods could unlock it if people have something pertinent to add I'm sure.

If I make a post and people then choose to ignore a polite request and continue to spam etc then I'm going to close that thread. People, at that point, have had the chance to mend their ways and have just continued doing what they want. So how many chances should they have? I personally don't believe in handing out infractions/warnings that often, so I'd rather lock a thread that has stopped being useful than punish all and sundry.

Personally I think some members have had plenty of warnings about their posts and behaviour to date, so if the only way forward is to start handing out warnings and infractions then so be it. As clearly just deleting posts quietly and letting threads carry on is not the way to go about it.

Also, perhaps it is just the case that the mods opinions on what is a good/bad post differ from your own.

Obviously you're not going to tell every person on the forum who makes small nothing posts like you gave as an example a pm explaining why you removed those. That's not what I am suggesting. You're blowing it out of proportion, I know you're only human and there are not very many of you to begin with.

You could always add more to make the work load easier though. Especially since Covert and Skillet stepped down from their spots.

You don't even have to pm people...do what DEG does when he cleans up a thread. He posts a quick msg that he cleaned up some unnecessary posts and or reminds people to behave/stay on topic. At least by doing this if someone did have a post removed that they wanted a reason to...they would see which mod did it and could go to him asking why.

As for them being abusive in replying to you, temp ban them. If they can't behave, give them a time out and after that...more drastic measures.

I'm not expecting you to police every post in every thread on the entire forum. I don't want more strict moderation, I just think EVERYONE could benefit from it if you changed your methods a bit. There is no way to rationalize locking an entire thread because a mod didn't want to deal with posts he felt to be an issue. That just comes down to being lazy.

Obviously you're not going to tell every person on the forum who makes small nothing posts like you gave as an example a pm explaining why you removed those. That's not what I am suggesting. You're blowing it out of proportion, I know you're only human and there are not very many of you to begin with.

You could always add more to make the work load easier though. Especially since Covert and Skillet stepped down from their spots.

You don't even have to pm people...do what DEG does when he cleans up a thread. He posts a quick msg that he cleaned up some unnecessary posts and or reminds people to behave/stay on topic. At least by doing this if someone did have a post removed that they wanted a reason to...they would see which mod did it and could go to him asking why.

As for them being abusive in replying to you, temp ban them. If they can't behave, give them a time out and after that...more drastic measures.

I'm not expecting you to police every post in every thread on the entire forum. I don't want more strict moderation, I just think EVERYONE could benefit from it if you changed your methods a bit. There is no way to rationalize locking an entire thread because a mod didn't want to deal with posts he felt to be an issue. That just comes down to being lazy.

I already said that I post in threads when I delete stuff or lock them, as do most other mods. Your entire complaint seems to come down to ONE example of a thread that was locked, and you only seem upset because it was your post that was deleted. In terms of the Xbox One thread in general there have been countless threads locked with an explanation given, and countless posts deleted with a polite note from a mod after.

As far as I can see most threads that are locked are handled in the right way, as you mentioned with DEG and as EMPEROR 95 kindly pointed out with me. I know Creech and Troy also do the same. It didn't happen in this one instance - which is on us. But no radical overhaul is needed is clearly 99% of the time there isn't an issue. If there was I suspect there would be more posts in here about it.

I would point out that all mods have been reminded of the site rules and the appropriate way to deal with incidents. Plus, it is not as easy as just getting more staff either - as they have to members that we can trust to behave appropriately.

Now I would close this thread at this point, as I think we are going round in circles and everything relevant has been said. I know Creech has taken on board things said in this thread. So anything further can be dealt with via PM. Though I'll leave this open in the interest of clarity.

I already said that I post in threads when I delete stuff or lock them, as do most other mods. Your entire complaint seems to come down to ONE example of a thread that was locked, and you only seem upset because it was your post that was deleted. In terms of the Xbox One thread in general there have been countless threads locked with an explanation given, and countless posts deleted with a polite note from a mod after.

As far as I can see most threads that are locked are handled in the right way, as you mentioned with DEG and as EMPEROR 95 kindly pointed out with me. I know Creech and Troy also do the same. It didn't happen in this one instance - which is on us. But no radical overhaul is needed is clearly 99% of the time there isn't an issue. If there was I suspect there would be more posts in here about it.

I would point out that all mods have been reminded of the site rules and the appropriate way to deal with incidents. Plus, it is not as easy as just getting more staff either - as they have to members that we can trust to behave appropriately.

But you don't always do that when you close a thread, I use that thread as an example because it was the most recent one. This has been going on for plenty of time. You're also mistaken, I am not upset at all that my post is gone, I understand why it's gone even if I don't agree with it being deleted.

This is more of a general idea, reminder if you will. Because it doesn't happen all the time it infact was something that happens more often than not. I'm not trying to make it personal...but you're refusing to listen to me because it's me lol.

Yes some of you do leave msgs, some times you don't. I am not making this thread because someone deleted my post and locked a thread. I don't care about that. I made this thread because I've seen threads locked over the past few YEARS and plenty of them had no explanation, some were obvious to why they were closed and required no mod to state why...but plenty of them also got locked with no reason because of off topic posts or arguing and because a mod didn't want to deal with it so they outright locked it instead.

If it helps, pretend it's someone you respect making these posts instead of my name so it doesn't appear to be some delusional hate filled rant about how you all suck when that's not even close to the point I am trying to make.

I am just offering criticism to better improve the site and relations between moderators and other users. There have been plenty of good discussions cut short, locked, deleted, because of lazy moderating. No that's not a personal attack at the staff, as I said before I respect all that you guys do...I just think there is room for some improvement to better us all, you want better behavior from people...you can't expect that to happen if you're not willing to improve either.

Edited by Gackt

But you don't always do that when you close a thread, I use that thread as an example because it was the most recent one. This has been going on for plenty of time. You're also mistaken, I am not upset at all that my post is gone, I understand why it's gone even if I don't agree with it being deleted.

This is more of a general idea, reminder if you will. Because it doesn't happen all the time it infact was something that happens more often than not. I'm not trying to make it personal...but you're refusing to listen to me because it's me lol.

Yes some of you do leave msgs, some times you don't. I am not making this thread because someone deleted my post and locked a thread. I don't care about that. I made this thread because I've seen threads locked over the past few YEARS and plenty of them had no explanation, some were obvious to why they were closed and required no mod to state why...but plenty of them also got locked with no reason because of off topic posts or arguing and because a mod didn't want to deal with it so they outright locked it instead.

If it helps, pretend it's someone you respect making these posts instead of my name so it doesn't appear to be some delusional hate filled rant about how you all suck when that's not even close to the point I am trying to make.

I am just offering criticism to better improve the site and relations between moderators and other users.

It doesn't matter who made this topic or any post within, genuinely, as my answer would be the same.

I think I'm not explaining myself correctly either. The issue of people not locking threads without an explanation HAS been discussed amongst all of the mods, and this happened some time ago, which is why you see it happening far less often.

I won't dispute that it happened more a year or so ago, but that was noted at the time and policies were changed to ensure it stopped. Did it happen in this instance? Yes it did. But does it happen anywhere near as much as it did? No it doesn't.

All feedback is welcome and, as I said, all mods have been reminded of the forum rules and have signed a post to say they have read and understood them. Beyond that we can only assume that people will do the best they can and handle posts/threads accordingly.