Enjoyment vs. Achievement - Your Opinion?

khardiss

Hey,

I got a silly little problem. Every month or so I get a free code for a 1 day game rental from RedBox. Last time, I got Madagascar 3 thinking it would be an easy 1000. Life happened so I didn't have as much time as I thought I would and I only got about half way thru the game. The game is horrendous. I absolutely hated it. I just got another free code and now have a definite 1st world problem here... do I get a different game that I might actually enjoy playing, or do I get M3 again to finish off the achievements? It's free either way. I just can't decide which mental flaw is more over-powering - my desire to have fun or my OCD telling me not to leave the game half finished. So, what would you do? (Logically, why would you play a game you hate, but on the other hand, this is a forum for people dedicated to getting all the achievements. I'm really curious what y'all would do.)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really 50/50 for me. I used to go for achievements lot more aggressively before but now I don't care much. And if a game makes me sick, I'll dump like Chicken said. E.g. I bought Dead Rising 2 and RE5 both brand new ages ago for like £60, got around 100G on each and sold them next day..gamerscore isn't worth it sometimes.

Hey,

I got a silly little problem. Every month or so I get a free code for a 1 day game rental from RedBox. Last time, I got Madagascar 3 thinking it would be an easy 1000. Life happened so I didn't have as much time as I thought I would and I only got about half way thru the game. The game is horrendous. I absolutely hated it. I just got another free code and now have a definite 1st world problem here... do I get a different game that I might actually enjoy playing, or do I get M3 again to finish off the achievements? It's free either way. I just can't decide which mental flaw is more over-powering - my desire to have fun or my OCD telling me not to leave the game half finished. So, what would you do? (Logically, why would you play a game you hate, but on the other hand, this is a forum for people dedicated to getting all the achievements. I'm really curious what y'all would do.)

this sounds like a no brainer to me. If you hate it, why waste your time on it?

On my old profile, I was playing games for achievements. When I realised how much I started to depreciate games because of lousy achievements, I decided to stop and actually play games I want to play and just try to complete the achievements for those games.

At least I was unlocking achievements for games that I really wanted to play and not games I had no interest in.

I have been having the problem recently of just gettin rid of games that I find crap. I have a fair few low scores on games I have little to no interest in. All this year up until I hit my target, I was playing a lot of crap but easy games. Now, I just want to play games I enjoy, and now have 7 games I am willing to trade in as I wont play them again.

So, my advice, get a game you like, and will enjoy. You will thank yourself in the long run.

On my old profile, I was playing games for achievements. When I realised how much I started to depreciate games because of lousy achievements, I decided to stop and actually play games I want to play and just try to complete the achievements for those games.

At least I was unlocking achievements for games that I really wanted to play and not games I had no interest in.

^This

If it is a game I like, I will work my ass off for an achievement even if it's completely out of the way. I messed up on Final Fantasy XIII and had to do a second playthrough for one achievement. 85 hours later, I finally had 1000G.

I normally play games now only for achievement, I know sad. 2 years ago is when I went achievement crazy looking for games with easy 1000G. But enough about me, you should get a different game if you hate M3. But if your achievement crazed, you should finish off the remaining achievements for M3. It's really up to you.

Honestly, I had already decided that I wasn't going to waste any more time on it. I really only asked because I was curious about what you guys would do. I expected more of you to take the stance of "it'll only take 5-6 hours, just finish off the game". Guess y'all aren't as achievement obsessed as I thought. :D

Most people who posted to play for fun have a gamerscore below 100,000 :p I don't know if it means you are not so addicted or what. On my early times I got very addicted to achievements. In 3 years I managed to get to 100,000 and that's mostly it. My biggest goal.

Sure I play crappy games for gamerscore, but if I get stuck or something like that, I'm not wasting hours on that game. My completion percentage is about 55% or something but I have +40 completed retail games.

Of course I've experienced My Horse And Me 2 but I actually enjoyed it. Too bad Krazie wanted to buy it from me so I couldn't play it through 3rd time :(

Nowadays I buy games (even crappy ones) if they are cheap. I'm not buying games that are +20€ anymore (excluding new, good games). For example I just bought NBA Jammer or Jam or what the hell (can't even remember the name) because it was only 3€ brand new.

Since there is that Staff/Subscribers Completion Competition coming in January I guess I need to go back to finish some crappy games as well.

To your question: ask yourself if you are addicted to achievement? Don't be afraid to face the truth, I know I am. If you are, the not-completed game will stay and will NOT leave your list ever! Just think about that. If you think that someday it will come back to you, I say finish it now! Anyways I wouldn't really rent a game that I enjoy playing a long time. I buy those :p