stores selling games before street date?

kingofthstrays

if anybody remembers the time when a mom and pop store in upstate new york sold modern warfare 2 before the release date it put people in a frenzy

my question is that can a big chain stores get in trouble for selling game before the intinal release date ? and do game publishers watch mom and pops stores closely so there wont be a sistuation like the modern warfare 2 ever again?

wow!

that sounds like a hefty fine

but in one my older post some guy got 2 worlds 2 early from a best buy

and i know some store like sears wont even let you buy the game early because it built in their register systems when it can be sold

but yeah mom and pops shop can probaly sell it early and not get fined

I remember reading on Penny-arcade.com that they got some major release game a couple weeks early from a 7-11, right around when they first started selling games. I don't remember what game, was probably a year or two ago this happened.

Even though it's not a large store, still a large chain.

I think I saw Fable 3 on a target shelf early too. Didn't have the money to buy it at the time though <_<

I've run into it a couple times at Target but they have the release dates built into the system. I remember finding Dragon Age on the shelf a week before the release date on sale. I almost had them convinced to release it too since they had the whole shelf stocked.

Probably the biggest reason that the games come out early by accident is a combination of the employees are not informed of the release date and the distributor not marking the packages properly.

For the first part, think of all the games coming out that you want, you know the release dates and are waiting for them, but do you know the dates for all the games you have no interest in? Probably not, so those would slip through the cracks and be placed out on the floor early.

As for the second part, release dates aren't well marked by the companies. If it's a big release, the games will have those orange stickers on the top saying when they release, but for the most part, games are shipped in a nondescript, regular box alongside the rest of the daily video game freight. The only full exception I've encountered is Nintendo, who with their new releases, put a massive sign on the box showing the release date as well as labeling the packaging tape itself.

Probably the biggest reason that the games come out early by accident is a combination of the employees are not informed of the release date and the distributor not marking the packages properly.

For the first part, think of all the games coming out that you want, you know the release dates and are waiting for them, but do you know the dates for all the games you have no interest in? Probably not, so those would slip through the cracks and be placed out on the floor early.

As for the second part, release dates aren't well marked by the companies. If it's a big release, the games will have those orange stickers on the top saying when they release, but for the most part, games are shipped in a nondescript, regular box alongside the rest of the daily video game freight. The only full exception I've encountered is Nintendo, who with their new releases, put a massive sign on the box showing the release date as well as labeling the packaging tape itself.

This^^^ i work at UPS and when the big games come through they all have the labelling on the tape, like halo reach and call of duty. but other games will normally just have normal boxes, this is no doubt one of the main reasons that smaller less advertised games will be released earlier

That great that a lot of companies are on the ball not selling games before the release date

But....anybody know if you get the game early and have the copy on hand and you

try to sell it early on ...... EBAY or any auction site if you get in any trouble

Smaller auction sites probaly not but im talking about bigger auction sites ..like ebay

anybody know?

if anybody remembers the time when a mom and pop store in upstate new york sold modern warfare 2 before the release date it put people in a frenzy

my question is that can a big chain stores get in trouble for selling game before the intinal release date ? and do game publishers watch mom and pops stores closely so there wont be a sistuation like the modern warfare 2 ever again?

They should be fined and remove privileges from getting the game ahead , and of course they can get into trouble there basically breaking the agreement they had with the publishers (not before that given ?? date)

Bunch of douchebags ....