Open Message to Everyone: SPOT

Shattuck

I can't believe how many people don't use the spotting function in this game. If you see a random enemy, spot him with the back button unless you are literally about to dump a mag into his face. Especially you, snipers. It is half of your damn job, hence the whole "Recon" thing. It makes everyone on your team play better, pretty much guarantees wins a lot of times, and it prevents annoying, preventable deaths. Just spot. It even gives you free points if someone kills the guy you spot! It's like having UAV all the time!

I find it so frustrating having to fly a chopper so close to the ground to see enemies. But sadly because some people don't play the game right we are all in some ways playing selfish. There should be career based ribbons / medals linked to achievements to spot something like 1000 or more enemies for team mates to kill.

I assume there is a medal but its not linked to an achievement.

I can't believe how many people don't use the spotting function in this game. If you see a random enemy, spot him with the back button unless you are literally about to dump a mag into his face. Especially you, snipers. It is half of your damn job, hence the whole "Recon" thing. It makes everyone on your team play better, pretty much guarantees wins a lot of times, and it prevents annoying, preventable deaths. Just spot. It even gives you free points if someone kills the guy you spot! It's like having UAV all the time!

Hell yea. I spot every chance i get, mostly because it's a free 10 pts about a 1/4 of the time. When playing a long game, that adds up to several hundred points per map. Not to mention it takes a quick move of the finger to do it.

A nice trick i like to use is when i suspect someone in the bushes or a dark window just out of my range, i like to spam tap spot and slowly move my reticule around the area. You'd be shocked how many kills i've grabbed that way.

Edited by BrotherBadger

There should be two achievements based around this, in my opinion. One for getting X number of Spot Assists, and one for getting getting X number of Squad Attack/Defend Bonuses from an objective that the Squad Leader has Spotted.

I noticed another thread that was complaining about SLs not Spotting objectives, and some people thinking that only SLs get the points from Spotted objectives.

This way people would be instructed to Spot, learn about the benefits and how integral it is to gameplay, and on how Squad Leaders can Spot objectives and that the entire Squad benefits from them doing so, point-wise and direction-wise.

I think the main problem is that people don't even know what button to push to spot. I mean I didn't figure it out for 3 or 4 days until I read about it someplace. There's no one screen tip like for gadgets or vehicles and I'm sure not many people read a game manual these days :p

They should have a controller layout where you can just click the right thumbstick to spot an enemy. Having to take one of your thumbs off a thumbstick that relies heavily on dual-thumbstick controls seems a bit unpractical.

Couldn't agree more, why am I going to prevent myself from being able to aim for a split second to press the back button when odds are I'll be sniped off if I dont take him out asap. If you can re-config the controller to click the LS I would spot a hella lot more.

Also, has anyone ever tried to spot someone, but it didn't work?

It's happened to me a few times when I try spotting air vehicles and infantry. Sometimes no matter how quickly or hard I spam the back button, it just won't spot. But when I shoot the guy, he does die so idk what the problem is.

When you spam it, it stops working for awhile. Otherwise people would abuse it.

If it doesn't work, wait a second or two and try again.

I think the main problem is that people don't even know what button to push to spot. I mean I didn't figure it out for 3 or 4 days until I read about it someplace. There's no one screen tip like for gadgets or vehicles and I'm sure not many people read a game manual these days :p

Yeah, they do a horrendous job of teaching the mechanics of this game to new players. I really never figured out why...

They should have a controller layout where you can just click the right thumbstick to spot an enemy. Having to take one of your thumbs off a thumbstick that relies heavily on dual-thumbstick controls seems a bit unpractical.

Its not hard at all. And generally when you are spotting, you will be standing still watching the enemy, so why would you need your thumb on the left stick?

Its not hard at all. And generally when you are spotting, you will be standing still watching the enemy, so why would you need your thumb on the left stick?

Not touching the left thumbstick would be more suited to a sniper-esque take on playing, as you tend to perch yourself somewhere away from the action not requiring you to move so much. For those who prefer to run-n-gun, letting go of a thumbstick leaves them completely vulnerable, especially if you're out in the open attempting to spot enemies in distant areas. You say it's not hard at all using the back button, but do you disagree that it would be easier to just click a thumbstick? It's seem all the more practical in the sense that the game is essentially a dual-stick shooter at the core.

Whilst I can see the benefits to spotting people I find it far more practical and useful for my team if I just shoot the fucker in front of me instead of taking a half second pause to move my hand position and tap the back button so that someone else in my team can claim the kill for later.

At some stage I'll have to rank up my recon class but I usually leave that till last as it doesn't suit my style of play to sit still miles away from all the action and grab the odd kill. When I'm playing recon I'll spot away all day. As for the other classes I'll hardly ever do it. Sorry but if someone's in my sights their getting a bullet between the eyes, I'm not gonna pause and think "oh I better spot this person so the guy who jumped in the jet can get an extra kill".

Funny thing is I've been playing all weekend and actually can't remember being on the losing side. I know it happened but the teams I was in playing conquest seemed to always win.

There's much more to team playing than spotting people.