Advice on picking this up

HoliestEd

Ive been a Resi fan since the first. I quite enjoyed the change to the new style in RE 4 but thought RE 5 was less enjoyable.

I played the demo and didnt enjoy the control system at all. I know the fact that the series has given up its survival horror roots has probably been argued to death but its hard to get a feeling of a story based game from a short demo.

Any opinions from hardened resi fans?

I've played all RE games since it's existence except for that one light gun shooter style game that was on the PS. In my opinion, RE6 is among the worst. It's lost its sense of exploration and survival horror, it's more turned into a game of fighting off hordes of zombies, moving to the next area, repeating. Puzzles are minimal, everything is very linear and straight forward. I did like the weapon upgrade system in RE5 which they basically eliminated for 6 and it feels a lot more of a shallow game.

What it does have going for it is longevity, there's multiple campaigns, each has 5 chapters which can take you anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half to finish each. Previous RE games, like 5, you could beat the entire game in about 4 hours total, it seems like this game each individual campaign can take 5-7 hours depending on skill.

For me it doesn't feel like RE anymore, and I kind of wish I had waited until it was under $20 before buying it. It's straying from the survival horror genre and beginning to lean towards 3rd person action shooter. I'd definitely wait for more people to respond before deciding whether to buy it or not, i'm only one person with an opinion, others may feel differently.

Well this one feels more like a shooter than a RE game. They've gone further away from the puzzles and actual horror that made the series so great. This is a rather long game, though (3 two player campaigns and a single player campaign). All in all they take about 30 hours to beat, give or take a few hours. A couple of the stories are great in my opinion, but one of them is lacking in depth. I'd recommend renting the game first because everyone's opinion is different.

A slightly different view.

I've been playing Resi since 2 and am a huge survival horror fan. This game is most certainly NOT a survival horror. However I decided to take the game at it's own value and I thoroughly enjoy it as an action game.

Once you accept what it is, you allow yourself to enjoy the game so much more. It has some pretty intense combat scenarios, a couple very good boss fights (amidst a plethora of dull ones), strong Co op play and that ridiiculously OTT storyline that is a resi trademark.

Play the demo again and try to get a feel for the combat because that is the primary thing this game has to offer, if you think you could like it, it's definitely worth a pick up in my opinion.

Please note that I in no way disagree with those hardcore Resi fans who can't stand the new direction for the series. I have never revered Resident Evil the way some fans do, and am only just experiencing this kind of panic and anger about a games direction with Dark Souls 2's apparent new take. I feel for you people.

Yep it is still a great game, so long as you expect it to be something different to the older games.

As someone mentioned, they have bummed the weapon upgrade system and replaced it with a pathetic skill system that is at its most basic level like the perks in Call of Duty. This was a real disappointment for me, but having said that, this is still a good, fun game. (Not that I have only played this in co-op so can't comment on the feel of the game playing solo - it might not have much replayability like this).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing Resi since 2 and am a huge survival horror fan. This game is most certainly NOT a survival horror. However I decided to take the game at it's own value and I thoroughly enjoy it as an action game.

Pretty much this. I went into RE6 knowing well that it wasn't going to be like older RE games and looking at it as an action game and I am enjoying the hell out of it.

The game is ridiculous at parts (some bosses) and there's a lot of action and not so much survival horror from what I've played so far, but it's still an enjoyable game for me.

I have played Resident Evil from around the start. I own Resident Evil 0 on Gamecube, Resident Evil on PS1 (original; long box), the Gamecube remake and the DS port, I have RE2 on PS1 and N64, RE3 on PS1, Code Veronica X on Gamecube, RE4 on Wii (originally on Gamecube, but I upgraded to the aiming controls, which I love), RE5 on 360, Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS (which I am also playing currently) and The Umbrella Chronicles & The Darkside Chronicles (Darkside is amazing to me), both of which are light-gun games.

I haven't played Survivor, Dead Aim or either Outbreak. I own Operation Raccoon City (got it for dirt cheap), but haven't played yet.

I love all the games I played so far (though Umbrella Chronicles is not as fun solo; Co-op is tons of fun though).

Leon's campaign is, for me, the closest to a successor to RE4. It's not quite, but it's close enough and I enjoyed it and felt like I was playing an action-oriented RE game.

Chris's so far feels very little like an RE game at all, aside from (going by Chapter 1 and 2) apparently adopting the concept of less herbs and ammo, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me since his is more dependent on shooting constantly. Not sure how this changes as you go on though.

No comments on Jake's or Ada's because I haven't played them yet, but I know Jake apparently has a ton of vehicle segments and Ada is similar to Leon's, but apparently more puzzles.

Also, you can change the controls. Currently I have it much closer to RE4 or RE5 and have the laser sight and such, and you can now change the camera to be zoomed out and to the side more like RE4 or 5. And later in the month, they will be updating it so you can turn off QTEs/make the game do them for you (since a lot of people dislike having to do them since they don't really belong).

At the end of the day, if you're looking for a survival horror or for the whole game to be closer to RE4, you're out of luck. But I believe Leon's and Ada's campaigns may be pretty damn close. I do like the atmosphere of most of Leon's campaign.

There are also a lot of nods and throwbacks, such as some similar enemies, the zombies, and lots of referencing characters and events from past games (in-game or via the files you unlock).

The worst part for me is the absurd healing system, but it's something you get used to over time. I can mix herbs and stick them in the case to use in like a second now compared to when I played the demo and didn't understand.

Likewise, the weapon menu is another thing you just "get used to". It's bad, but not hard to get the hang of.

Game is long, feels like a hodgepodge of RE ideas and non-RE ideas, but still has a lot of Resident Evil feel floating around with the action nonsense.

Anyway, like I said, I grew up with and played nearly every RE game and am a huge fan of both classic and modern styles and I really love RE6. It's not the best game in its genre, nor the best RE or anything, but it's still loads of fun, IMHO.

My 2 pennies (cents) to this.

It's not the resident evil from the playstation 1, neither was resi 5. However, it is a good action game with some fantastic features that would work brilliantly in the previous titles.

Resident Evil 6 is pretty cheap these days and YOU SHOULD PICK IT UP. It has a long campaign which is great, mercenaries is pretty decent (better than the previous titles which i found to be boring).

All the pro's and con's have been said previous BUT it is cheap and will still give you enjoyment.

Just don't be bummed when you realise the story is just some hashed up piece of shit in which for some reason they forgot there previous story arc's in the previous titles.

Just don't be bummed when you realise the story is just some hashed up piece of shit in which for some reason they forgot there previous story arc's in the previous titles.

Not really true. The arcs all got tied up with RE5.

Umbrella was over before RE4 (in Umbrella Chronicles) and then viruses went on the black market. This caused the BSAA and Leon's group with the US government to come about.

Wesker was taken care of in RE5. The only loose end is Ada and what she's actually been doing. They didn't forget anything, they just opened new stuff up for younger characters (Sherry and Jake for example).

Not really true. The arcs all got tied up with RE5.

Umbrella was over before RE4 (in Umbrella Chronicles) and then viruses went on the black market. This caused the BSAA and Leon's group with the US government to come about.

Wesker was taken care of in RE5. The only loose end is Ada and what she's actually been doing. They didn't forget anything, they just opened new stuff up for younger characters (Sherry and Jake for example).

I know the main storyline is tied up such as wesker/umbrella/spencer, but you are right. I should review what i said :p. It seems the story for this has little background and is just sprung up and everything seems chaotic. The previous titles had a strong reason as to why everything seemed to be happening. As for previous arcs in the story, there are some ends that i feel aren't quite finished and should have been explained :p.

Edited by Taylorboy

If you enjoyed the direction that started with RE4 where you run around and actually shoot stuff, they improved on both that and the inventory system loads. Granted you don't have that infinite storage that 5 had (don't need it) or the attache case (also not needed) but it is actually improved. You automatically have every gun as you get them in this game, no more managing which ones you plan to use and then not having the rest. Grenades/Guns are easier to use than RE4 due to how you change weapons/grenades. All around a smoother interface, regardless of how damn hideous it is especially in the case of Chris/Piers.

They made the movements more fluid than 4/5 so your movements are more 3d now, as opposed to being on rails by comparison.

The story is shit. The boss fights get tedious and annoying. And the story is shit. Also if you don't like QTE's everywhere you go, then may as well wait for the next title update to add the QTE assist option that automatically does them for you, then play it.

However, if you were a fan of the old extra modes such as Mercs for example, You'll find that those are more enjoyable thanks to the updated movement capabilities. Also if you enjoy melee attacks more, they FINALLY actually have those as a viable option thanks to Jake's gloves (some of the attacks of which are upgraded versions of Wesker's in RE5 Mercs/versus) As well as there being more loadout options in RE6 than the other two games. Also they are all available in all extra modes, unlike how they were split up in RE6 for Mercs Reunion.

The weapon upgrade system is good and bad in ways. It's convenient that you don't have to manage every single fucking gun in the entire game now, and instead you just manage skills. The skills of which apply to the TYPE of gun instead of previous games applying to those specific guns.

At the end of the day I will, and always have said that if you don't like the controls of a game then don't play it. Simple as that. Though to add on to one of the things Clay mentioned where you can change the aim to a laser sight, it lets you choose what color you want as well. Which I thought was neat.

I know the main storyline is tied up such as wesker/umbrella/spencer, but you are right. I should review what i said :p. It seems the story for this has little background and is just sprung up and everything seems chaotic. The previous titles had a strong reason as to why everything seemed to be happening. As for previous arcs in the story, there are some ends that i feel aren't quite finished and should have been explained :p.

Then yeah, totally. I think it all just ties into Ada, as in, her story is the basis for everything happening in the other 3 stories, but since she is the last story you're supposed to play, it comes off as "what the hell's going on all of the sudden?"

Chris's story especially. I honestly felt like, so far, they just kept dropping me places and I was like "I have no reason to be here other than STOPPIN' DAT VIRUS THREAT". I find myself not really interested in what is happening within his contained story, compared to say, Leon.

And yeah, there are a few loose ends, but I am sure Capcom's planning to just pull them out of nowhere. I mean, look at Sherry. I have been waiting for them to explain what had happened to her for years and they finally did. So who knows? They probably don't want to just explain everything from 1998 all at once.

I firmly believe that for no reason, one day, Capcom could just spring Billy, Rebecca or Barry back on us in the story.

It's pretty much a shooting game that doesn't give you much ammo. The enemies and scenarios are still like older resi's.

You can probably pick it up cheap now anyway, it's worth it if you wanna know the next chapter in Resident Evil's story. Realistically it's the worst game out of 1-6 so if you didn't like 5 then don't bother.

I don't really see how it is the worst game out of the 6 (and by 6, you mean 9, since RE0, Revelations and CODE: Veronica are also main games and all come before RE6), but I mean, it's not really an RE, so if you mean it like that, then yes. It's the worst in the sense that it isn't RE.

But as far as being a fun game? Let's be real here. The first 5 games (RE0-RECVX) are not exactly the most "fun". And I say this as someone who loves those games. Starting with RE4 and moving forwards, the games got more fun to play, even if they strayed further from the formula.

But yeah, if you didn't like RE5, and don't like the dash ability or moving and shooting added to RE6, you're probably not going to enjoy it.

BUT~ It's only $40 at Gamestop (and On Demand) and like $37 used. Could probably find it for closer to $30 soon (or now). It'll go down in price and you can get it then. Or wait for an inevitable version with all the DLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't bother.

Simply put, although i've no doubt by now you will have.

Some great ideas in the game but so poorly executed, clunky as anything and ultimately I think we've reached the point in gaming that this development team simply wasn't up to.

Anyone who praises this game beyond 'it's disasterously average' is simply sticking their fingers in their ears and going 'naah naahh i cant heeear youuu because i paid fourty quid for this steaming hash'.

Seriously, rent it if you must or spend your no doubt hard earned cash elsewhere.

Don't bother.

Simply put, although i've no doubt by now you will have.

Some great ideas in the game but so poorly executed, clunky as anything and ultimately I think we've reached the point in gaming that this development team simply wasn't up to.

Anyone who praises this game beyond 'it's disasterously average' is simply sticking their fingers in their ears and going 'naah naahh i cant heeear youuu because i paid fourty quid for this steaming hash'.

Seriously, rent it if you must or spend your no doubt hard earned cash elsewhere.

I paid nothing for this game and would easily have paid $30+ USD.

Clunky? I don't... what? Must not be playing the same game. The game's great and you're just butthurt.

The problem is simply it has a bunch of great ideas that aren't together. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Each campaign feels like a different game and the classic RE elements are all there, but not in one single campaign, they are dispersed unevenly. However, this doesn't make the game less fun, just shows it has an identity crisis.

I paid $80 for the Archives addition. What did it give me?

Resident Evil 4 HD

Resident Evil Code Veronica X HD

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition (includes all DLC)

Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil Degeneration (movie)

I will say that what was included for an extra $20 was the best special edition I have ever purchased.

Now for the game itself, my opinion is that it is very well done. Some parts can be slow or not exactly fun (certain areas are a pain, like a snow blizzard where you can't see). Overall though, the whole 4 story campaigns with 5 chapters each and 2 different playable characters for each campaign was awesome. I love being able to choose out of a lot of different characters versus just having one main one. The achievements were perfectly fine too. Little bit of work but nothing too annoying (like S ranking all missions or something). Infinite ammo after beating the game on any difficulty? Thank you devs. Stat screen is very detailed too and fun to look at. The way co-op works is very well done. Having your own drops instead of splitting works perfectly.

This game has not gotten boring on me, even plaything through multiple times.

Its a really enjoyable game. Yes, its not classic RE and the controls take a while to get used to (I only got the hang of playing by the end of my first campaign). But once you do, this is a great game. Its an evolution of the action RE genre and I feel like it does it really well. The QTE's can be a bit annoying, but the story is pretty solid and the new characters are actually really good. I'm finding myself wanting to play more of Jake and Helena to find out more of their stories. I would say if you're an RE fan, its worth picking up. It may be a bit frustrating for a bit, but once you master the controls and understand how it wants you to play it, its a really enjoyable experience.

My friend got me the archives edition for 30 bucks at ebgames, haven`t yet touched 4 or code veronica, but I was in the same boat as a lot of people from playing the demo, kinda had mixed feelings. Played through Kennedy`s campaign, loved it. Had a similar feel as 4, on Redfield now. While yes it plays more like CoD, I still find the game very enjoyable and reminds me of 5 which I enjoyed very much as well. The different feel gives a different perspective to an old classic. Some people just don`t like change.

Got it as a gift for Christmas. I was wanting to pick it up at release but didn't have the funds. And I assume it was bought on the cheap even though it was a NEW copy. I think maybe 30 or 40 bucks.

I had read the bitching and whining that new players and RE diehards had been doing after release, but as with anything on the internet, I decided to ignore it and try the demo. I played Leon's demo and Chris's and was kinda amazed. I really loved the graphics. Leon's demo through the campus and getting trapped in the room with alarms seemed plenty survival horrory enough. Chris's demo was kinda odd as it felt more like a Gears of War type thing, but it was a fresh way to play RE. The controls sucked really bad in both demos I played, but I decided I still wanted to grab it.

So it was given to me a Christmas present. And I gotta say, I would have been ok shelling out 60 bucks for it. I have played the majority of the RE series as reference. It is nowhere near GOTY or the best RE game, but it is worth the original price of admission. My only gripes are the controls and healing system, both of which you will quickly get used to. It's just a learning curve that needs a little time and patience.

Story wise, it was meh. The stories themselves are good enough and I enjoyed them. But as far as the series as a whole and how it ties in and what we are used to, it was just ok. There are alot of epic moments to be had for series faithful too. Like Chris and Leon's meet up. That put a grin on my face.

As far as the whole "survival horror" thing is concerned, get real people. Yes it's a little less in this game, but I still find myself surrounded by zombies with little to no ammo. Sweaty palms and trying to figure out how to get myself outta the sh** storm i'm trapped in. It may be different on lower difficulties though, I have been playing through on I think Veteran. It's whichever one is the toughest that isn't No Hope difficulty.

Also as far as scare factors go, it's not here. Nor has it ever really been in any RE game. I think the only time a RE game has made me jump is RE4. I was sitting in my dark room at night by myself walking through the kitchen area. I can't remember where in the story it was, but there is a oven flipped on its side and you have to walk right by it. So i'm creeping around this corner by the oven waiting for more zombs cause I know they're coming and BAM, zombie on fire jumps outta this oven. I almost pee'd myself.

Anyways, I would say get it. For it's now reduced price, it's a steal if you have ever enjoyed a RE game. It has it's flaws, as do all games, but nothing that breaks the game. It has a very long campaign mode and multiplayer is fun. Mercenaries alone will entertain most for a few hours. And if you throw some randoms or friends in the mix, it's twice as fun. Agent Hunt mode is fun for awhile, allowing you to troll other players. It's a nice addition even though the controls are wonky, but you play as a zombie in someone elses campaign. If they were quick and tight controls, the human player would not have much of a chance. I have yet to download the additional mode DLC, so thats something too. I have only bought the extra Mercs maps.

Oh, and RE.net connectivity is cool. Extra bonus events in game after you sign up for free that allow you to unlock points. Those points can be used for useless crap on there site or awesome new skins that can be used in game. Nice little bonus there.

All in all, i'd say go for it. There are a ton of worse games you buy. And like I said, at the current reduced MSRP, it's a steal.

Edited by MC Kazoo

A lot has been said in this thread already so I will keep it short. It boasts the most strongest Resident Evil story to date but only for those who understand the story and know about the past viruses and events in detail. Second it's one hell of a game probably my second most fav RE of all time becaue for the first time it doesn' feel clunky or boring or something which lacks complete western touch. There is way too much feel and nostalgia here in form of chracters or files.

Although the campaigns get slow at time and QTE's can get hectic especially if you don't like them. And I found Jake's campaign to be a little boring. And not to forget a few other problems which have been almost fixed with matches.

Simply if you like action adventure games, love RE lore as a universe and story and have adopted to the changes in series since 4th, you are gonna have way too much fun.

And one last thing, tutorial are worst and learning çurve is huge. At first will annoy you as hell (control-wise)

I paid nothing for this game and would easily have paid $30+ USD.

Clunky? I don't... what? Must not be playing the same game. The game's great and you're just butthurt.

The problem is simply it has a bunch of great ideas that aren't together. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Each campaign feels like a different game and the classic RE elements are all there, but not in one single campaign, they are dispersed unevenly. However, this doesn't make the game less fun, just shows it has an identity crisis.

Blatantly not, must be different games after all. I think if this didn't have the resident evil logo on you'd probably think different, some people get too nostalgic.

It's a really poor attempt to copy western, more lucrative genres that turns out clunky (seriously compared to the now old GOW3 this plays like utter a$$), too unbelievable easy even on harder difficulties (I haven't tried the highest one yet to be fair), and its just, well, a really boring story and bad game. Some of the ideas have fun written all over them, the replayability of four campaigns but they're just so slow, droll and boring. Instead of making a 35 hour game this should have been stripped to 25. Leons campaign is utterly dreadful for the first couple of chapters 'oh look.. another cave' and could easily have bits trimmed.

It's just really poor tbh, and I really tried to like it too, resi 5 was great mediocre fun whereas this.. just misses the bar completely

• 4 weeks later...

I got this from redbox (free with a code i found online) and that's pretty much the only way I could really justify picking it up. I don. Know if it's just me as I'm new to the RE series but it isn't much of a survival horror. Its just has clunky clunky controls, think early dead space. The story is pretty solid and the plethora of single/co-op missions is pretty neat stuff.