MGS1 Snake variety level 1 (sniping 31 guards)

lowtek

OK, I was able to do this in the PS2 version but for the life of me I can't do it again. All I have left are his three variety missions and I'll have 100.0% but this mission is tearing the ass out of me. I know about the ledge at the bottom. But when the box gets swarmed with 5 guys, you can't exactly shoot every one, know what I mean? I could only find one video of a guy doing it, but he was so pro at headshots he made it look like a cake walk. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or feels like venting at how impossible this mission really is.

Don't worry dude. This takes a huge amount of patience and practice. My tip is when they're far away, shoot them once with the PSG-1 T. If they're getting too close or you're starting to get too overwhelmed, start unloading everything. Also try shooting 2-3 enemies one one side then switch sides. I had a lot of continues simply because I paid little to no attention on the other side. I had close to 100 continues before I got it.

I've played the mission in bursts, continued about 30 times, took a break, came back. I'm probably at around 120 continues total now.

BTW, did you snipe from the top or bottom platform?

Edited by lowtek

I've played the mission in bursts, continued about 30 times, took a break, came back. I'm probably at around 120 continues total now.

BTW, did you snipe from the top or bottom platform?

I used the top platform. I didn't even know about the lower one until I completed it and saw it in a post here.

Speaking of 100 continues:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4379/20111201064405589.jpg

What's that definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over expecting different results? Yeah.

I call that persistance. You'll get it though. By the time you do, you'll make a whole lot of brown in your pants and even more gold.

• 1 month later...

I did this on my 8th try. I didn't think it was hard. I used the pgs1 and sniper everyone that was at the bottom or coming down the stairs did not work about the top only if their were like 3 enemies bunched together then i would shoot the top but just focus around the bottom. But variety 3 i just can't beat that one

Variety 1 go for the legs and crotch as much as possible, you'll slow them down or kill them quicker. Start at the top right and focus the most on the left, checking right when you have an opening.

For variety 3 if its the tengus that are stopping you use the coolant to disorent them and immediately headshot them. Get the gun ones first. For genola stay in the middle of the box and move just outside the opposite side of the box he swings at to dodge him effectively and take pot shots at the flying thing with the stinger when you have an opening. The second round just make sure to take the two shotgunners out right away.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IPjhhPkiFc]Metal Gear Solid 2 VR missions - Snake(MGS1) Variety 3 - YouTube[/ame]

I was able to put the coolant/stun grenade combo to good use. As seen in another person's video above, you can take out groups of 3 tengus at once if you time it right.

I had the hardest time for Genola. I finally gave up on using the stingers and just shot the struts out of the pan above his head with the M4. If you run out of ammo, going into FBV will make more M4 ammo spawn.

I still can't get passed 12 kills, they swarm the box around that point...there has to be some sort of glitch or workaround...I don't care what but I can't beat this fucking thing...

I just wanted to quote this...

Speaking of 100 continues:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4379/20111201064405589.jpg

What's that definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over expecting different results? Yeah.

That's my definition for it. In fact that might be sig worthy...if I didn't have my current build I'd definitely throw that in there. Maybe when I've boosted out these other games I'll put that in because that's how I feel about so many of these games I play...N+, Splosion Man, MGS2's VR Missions...I can feel my sanity slipping as I try and try and try to get different results with these things but it always ends up in failure. Persistence, patience...I'm running thin...all I have is rage, pure and blind. I screw up...it turns into something almost demonic in nature...that's how much it tears me apart seeing a hopeless battle that I don't know how to win. A trick, some sort of exploit...anything to make Variety 1 victorious but nothing so far.

It's not the Devil Incarnate, as annoying as it is...it's not insanely difficult. I've faced worse...the problem with this is cheapness. You kill and kill and kill...then the box is swarmed by 5 guys at once, no chance.

Difficulty with reason makes sense...Splosion Man, N+...I can dig...but when you shoot a guy 10 FUCKING TIMES and he refuses to die because you didn't shoot him in the nuts, heart or head...THAT'S BULLSHIT! I'M SERIOUSLY FUCKING PISSED AT THAT, I SPENT 10 SECONDS TRYING TO KILL ONE GUY, RAPID SHOT AFTER RAPID SHOT BUT BECAUSE IT WAS IN THE STOMACH AND NOT THE HEART HE DIDN'T DIE...I ACTUALLY HAD TO MOVE THE SHOT JUST TO MAKE SURE IT HIT HIM IN A VITAL POINT, THAT'S BULL FUCKING SHIT!

Sorry...I just can't deal with that kind of crap. A guy gets shot with a high powered sniper rifle, he's supposed to be pretty fucked up. Two shots should kill him, that's how it is in ANY other game. This game? Fuck no...they're all like goddamn vampires, only hit em in the weak spots.

EDIT: I DID IT, I FRIGGIN DID IT AND I UNLOCKED VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TODAY TOO!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLl8qU6DH24&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLBE0FD3F24AAF7CD2]MGS2S MISSIONS_Snake(MGS1) Variety Level 01 - YouTube[/ame]

^Will save your life, you might not headshot everybody but friggin equip that PSG1-T and shoot every enemy he shoots. It took some practice but I followed his pattern all the way up until you have to snipe the 3 guys running in the tower, then I went to the left and picked up from there. In the end I had like 10 guys who approached the box either one at a time or in a group of two...I can't tell you how bad my heart was beating out of my chest as the last guy almost touched the box.

Variety 3 is a pain in the ass but when I finally beat it, I had a ration by the time I faced Genola. Stupid me, the last time I got to Genola I shot a fucking stinger INTO the box on the platform and it killed me...THEN on my successful run, I did the same thing (thank god for the Ration). Anyways...after many painstaking attempts on that (but not nearly as many as Variety 1), I beat that asshole.

Virtually Impossible is UNLOCKED! =) Now that I've finished MGS2, I can finally work on MGS3 and off to Peace Walker once I've 1000'd this game. I actually took 2 days break from MGS2 because of friggin Variety 1...it was jut so demoralizing, it felt like it would utterly defeat me at any point. Then this morning I said fuck it...and just kept going at it, despite the constantly slipping sanity I made it through.

Edited by TVthePunisher

• 1 year later...

Variety level 1 kicked my ASS, wow. It took me close to 200 attempts to finally nail it, and I used to consider myself a fairly good shot... guess not, lol. Been going through all these VR missions chronologically, so judging from other posts, the next ones probably won't be a walk in the park. As long as I don't have to use the sniper rifle...

As for tips for Variety level 1; start off with the tranq sniper and try to just hit as many as you can without wasting time aiming for the ones that are running - go for the ones where they're either stalling for a moment or running directly towards your screen so they're easier to pick off, you'll probably figure a few of these out after a few tries.

After taking down maybe half of the guards, I found myself fighting off dudes that were approaching the box. I'd use the proper PSG-1 and just spam the trigger to take out guards as they were approaching the very center area, quickly reloading by double-tapping RT.

This missions was a royal pain in the @$$. Best of luck!

• 11 months later...