Titanfall Getting New Modes, Dev Says It Needs To Move On At Some Point

WalterWhite

Respawn Entertainment has a third DLC pack in the works for Titanfall, as well as more free updates -- including new game modes -- but it's going to have to find a point where it largely moves on from the game, according to community manager Abbie Heppe.

Speaking with OXM during Gamescom earlier this month, Heppe said, "Alongside the paid DLC maps, we have been doing free content updates, with the next one being on I think the 6th? So we do have some plans to release some more free content, we've got some cool new modes on the way. But at a certain point, we are going to have to wind down so that we can move on and do other things."

Heppe noted the number of updates the game has received in the five-plus months since its release, which have added new game modes, burn cards for Titans, the black market, and other new features, in addition to fixes and tweaks. "So, yeah, at a certain point we've got to give some people a break and then think about where we go next," she said.

It's interesting to hear this discussed so openly; while it's inevitable that Respawn will eventually move on, it wasn't long ago that we heard Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella talk about how how he hoped the community would stick around for "a really long time" so that it could continue to support the game. What Heppe said doesn't necessarily mean the community has disappeared, but it's true that it hasn't been consistently huge on all platforms -- hence the reason why certain playlists were cut on PC following launch.

Just because Respawn is going to move on from developing new Titanfall content at some point doesn't mean it'll abandon the game completely. "Obviously, if there's anything that totally breaks then yeah, we'll absolutely fix that," Heppe said. "But we're going to have to wind down and then move on. But we still have some cool stuff in the works before that happens."

Titanfall's third DLC pack, entitled IMC Rising, contains three new maps and will, like the previous two, be released for $10 on its own (in addition to being part of the season pass).

As for Respawn's future, EA has already confirmed new Titanfall "experiences" are coming, but what form they will take (and whether they will remain Xbox-exclusive on consoles) is currently unknown. God of War III creative director Stig Asmussen joined the studio not long ago as a game director, and will be helping to expand its horizons, possibly into the free-to-play and mobile spaces.

---

Gamespot

Edited by WalterWhite

Not exactly what you want to hear five months out from release of a multiplayer-only game. I think it's a safe prediction that this game is going to be a ghost town by year's end with all of the stiff competition inbound and Respawn making comments like these. I know that I've pretty much gotten what I wanted from the game. I'll probably grab what achievements I can from the final map pack and trade it toward my growing list of fall releases.

Thoughts?

Edited by WalterWhite

But it won over 100 awards at E3. It is going to be the next big thing for FPS games and help sell Xbox One consoles! /sarcasm

Crock of shit. Respawn can go and fuck themselves with the wide end of a rake. EA and Microsoft can join 'em too. They pushed the shit out of this game to be the best thing since Nutella and sliced bread with a glass of milk and it flopped. FLOPPED! (he he...) PC version is a ghost town, DLC has separated what little fan base it had going for it and it has made things a lot worse. Then you have the console version(s).....

I blame EA and Microsoft more than Respawn. They did their deal behind the back of Respawn and left them out in the cold. I'd say if the game went multi-platform, it would have gotten support similar to BF/COD games have had in the past.

If the Australian servers are anything to go by, people moved on from this game a long time ago. Around about the time the "fixed" matchmaking IIRC...

I'm just hoping I can finish Gen 8 and 9 in the final DLC. It may say 100% but I know it's 59/60....

This news is actually surprising.

Wasn't this supposed to be "the next big thing" and everything? Devs already thinking of putting the series to rest? For mobile and free-to-play titles? What the hell? Did Crytek's situation not make people think twice about that?

My head hurts.

Titanfall was a great game and a ton of fun, but it just didn't blossom into the Call of Duty killer people thought it would. I was one of those people back at E3 2013. It's hard to pinpoint why this is, maybe the attention span of shooter fans is getting shorter and shorter. It's strange really. Announcing the end is nigh five months out doesn't help matters though. Whatever.

Titanfall was a great game and a ton of fun, but it just didn't blossom into the Call of Duty killer people thought it would. I was one of those people back at E3 2013. It's hard to pinpoint why this is, maybe the attention span of shooter fans is getting shorter and shorter. It's strange really. Announcing the end is nigh five months out doesn't help matters though. Whatever.

I could slightly agree and go further in venturing that perhaps online shooters aren't as grand and long-lasting as they were from '00 to '10, but I'm probably wrong in thinking that.

I feel like gamers nowadays want immersive Single Player titles, convoluted and mature storylines, and tense Co-Op play.

I could slightly agree and go further in venturing that perhaps online shooters aren't as grand and long-lasting as they were from '00 to '10, but I'm probably wrong in thinking that.

I feel like gamers nowadays want immersive Single Player titles, convoluted and mature storylines, and tense Co-Op play.

I don't know if that's true. I think the people that make games have a better understanding of what people want as opposed to what you see people say they want on gaming forums, which is the minority of the people buying these games even though you might see it everywhere online. People like us probably account for a single digit percentage of people who actually buy video games vs. people who discuss them on a niche gaming forum. They know what people are buying and they try to accommodate for that market and you can see the results for yourself. We got multiplayer in Tomb Raider because it's the most popular game mode in "that other game" that people really like. It's also difficult to lure people away from the biggest franchises that they've been invested in for years like Battlefield, Call of Duty and Halo. Although, I'm not sure how much better of an attempt that could be made than a game like Titanfall, all things considered in who developed the game and who published it.

We're a predictable bunch -- until we're not. But right now, we most certainly are. It's all about multiplayer, co-op and connected experiences in the eyes of the industry. The single player experience is going to take a back seat for awhile and then you'll probably see developers gravitate back toward it when we become unpredictable again and stop buying this stuff.

Or maybe we (not you ;)) all just got swindled by EA and Respawn.

I don't know if that's true. I think the people that make games have a better understanding of what people want as opposed to what you see people say they want on gaming forums, which is the minority of the people buying these games even though you might see it everywhere online. People like us probably account for a single digit percentage of people who actually buy video games vs. people who discuss them on a niche gaming forum. They know what people are buying and they try to accommodate for that market and you can see the results for yourself. We got multiplayer in Tomb Raider because it's the most popular game mode in "that other game" that people really like. It's also difficult to lure people away from the biggest franchises that they've been invested in for years like Battlefield, Call of Duty and Halo. Although, I'm not sure how much better of an attempt that could be made than a game like Titanfall, all things considered in who developed the game and who published it.

Well, shit. I never thought about it like that :/

Or maybe we (not you ;)) all just got swindled by EA

Well..wouldn't be the first time :o

Crock of shit. Respawn can go and fuck themselves with the wide end of a rake. EA and Microsoft can join 'em too.

So a game that's averaging an update a month...completely free, mind you...and has the balls to think out loud about moving on and focusing on, perhaps, a sequel to this awesome game....should "go and fuck [it's self] with the wide end of a rake"? LOL. What a fucking drama queen!

The game was great. A very fresh look at FPS that brought back the best elements of Quake to the consul. I agree that making it Xbox exclusive probably ended up hurting it more than it helped but I can't think of another instance where consul exclusivity of a franchise wasn't desired. I know lots of people who when asked why they bought a 360 and not PS3, said "Halo"

Everyone talks about how they want newer, different games but the numbers speak for themselves. They can release the new COD or Battlefield game and its gonna break records regardless of any changes or improvements. Titanfall is an awesome game. Significantly better than BF:4 and leagues ahead of COD: Ghosts.

Only a complete douche gets mad over free updates because they won't continue forever...grow up

Edited by Ryancallsin

If the Australian servers are anything to go by, people moved on from this game a long time ago. Around about the time the "fixed" matchmaking IIRC...

The Aussie servers are fine, even though they are a poor man's fix until Azure is actually here. A lot of Aussies use other servers and surprisingly, it handles itself quite well.

<I'm happy to pay $60 and get sub-par support for a few months>

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Patches

http://i.imgur.com/Ec9pLDw.png

7 year old game, peaked at over 80,000 players today alone and still gets supported.

Yep, moving on after 5 months is a joke. Titanfall was supposed to be a system seller and a major pillar in the longevity of the X1. Its been apparent for some time that didnt come close to happening. We were given a barebones game at launch and the free updates are things that should have been in the game from the start.

Yes, I still think Titanfall is a good game and was fun when I played but pretty much everyone is bored of it and personally I havent been able to get a good connection since they "fixed" matchmaking with TU3. Ive only popped this in when the map packs were released to get the achievements and then its back to other games.

Will be thinking long and hard about if Im even going to bother with Titanfall 2.

I'm probably one of the only people who enjoy the single-player modes in FPS's. I was upset with the half-done attempt at a campaign Titanfall did have. At least with the worst Call of Duty games I've played, I can remember a few choice moments. I struggle to even remember characters from Titanfall's campaign...

Single-player mode/Campaign mode, in my eyes, not only provides a fun experience in itself, but also provides a way to get familiar with the game and how it plays, and get used to any new mechanics the game may have introduced, without the frustration of being potentially destroyed by players who know how everything works already.

We were given a barebones game at launch and the free updates are things that should have been in the game from the start.

Completely agree with you but the launch version of Titanfall reminds me a lot of the first Assassin's Creed game. Initial gameplay was awesome and tons of fun to play but all 9 missions were almost identical, weapon selection got old, everything became predictable, and even worse; replay value was pretty low (thanks unskippable cut scenes). You can't just expect for a new franchise to be perfectly polished. It took Halo three games to get it completely right, especially after Halo 2 took a slight step backwards. Titanfall 2 will be epic. Just you wait.

The game sold around 2 million on Xbox One and considering Xbox One has 5 million consoles sold, that's a really good install base.

I wish they would consider working on this a little longer! I didn't buy the hype at all before launch but when I played the game, I loved it (the opposite of some people it seems).

I just don't understand why people continue to act like this isn't the best game available on Xbox1. Not that that means much considering the weak lineup of titles so far, but until Destiny comes out in 2 days, there's nothing that even comes close.

The same people that complain about new features also complain about COD recycling old ones. Developers attempting to address those complaints only takes away from that which they love most...complaining.

• 1 month later...
They didn't say they were moving on right now. They said at some point they have to move on.

This is what I was thinking as I was reading through this thread. They didn't say they were closing servers. This is just a bunch of overreaction. And now look, a gigantic FREE update was announced today.