Subscriber/Staff Spotlight - November 2014

jackanape

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/guides/0-subspotlight.jpg

CUTTING IT CLOSE TO THE WIRE!!!!

But I just about got there in time for November. I mean we could all play the blame game here: I was late sending out the questions, the answers took a while getting back, crazed pixies invaded my house and stole my laptop. I could go on. But won't. Because we're all better than that.

Plus, we all know that, in some way, it's BiggD's fault. So really what more needs to be said?

Anyway, now that you're all here it is time for another instalment of wonderous insight and knowledge - plus one of our other member gets to chip in too. AHAHAHAHA - self referential humour is the best. Except when I do it for some reason.

Now without further ado, let's welcome our mystery guest who straddles the staff/subscriber divide like an almighty colossus - it's exit9500. (Please don't throw your pants at the screen in excitement - this isn't a rock concert, jeez).

Welcome to the spotlight! Introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Hi, my name is David. I’m 24 and live in northern Wisconsin. Graduated from college in 2013, my major being chemistry. I spend most of my free time playing videos games, reading, or watching TV. RPGs tend to be my favorite games while I generally go with science fiction or fantasy for books and tv.

What do you do for employment, or are you studying anything? Basically what activity MAKES you get out of bed in a morning when you just need one more hour of sleep? Plus, do you enjoy it or are you looking at the bigger picture?

Currently work at a grocery store to pay my student loans. Trying to find a different job and am also trying to get into grad school. Really right now I just want something that will pay me enough to survive without living with my parents.

Assuming you could pack it all in and take up your DREAM job - what would it be?

I would be a theoretical particle physicist. (Editors note: SOOOOO many follow up questions here. Why? Inspiration? Interest in physics?)

What are your other hobbies and interests? Would you say they come ahead of your love of console shenanigans or does electronic entertainment rule?

I generally rotate between TV, video games, books, and manga. I tend to go from one to the other when I feel like it and focus on little else as far as my hobbies go.

If there was one TV show that people absolutely HAD to watch what would it be?

Digimon, especially Adventure. Adventure 02 is almost as good as Adventure, just need to get rid of the pacifist attitude and Davis. Tamers and Frontier both have things that I thought were good but neither are as good as Adventure and Adventure 02. Data Squad/Savers makes me think, which considering what it is I find impressive. I got sidetracked by school while I was watching Xros Wars and haven’t gotten back to it yet, so don’t really have much to say about it. (Editors note: Of all the answers, I gotta say, I didn't see this one coming. It is also like it's in a foreign language to me - I am officially no longer down with the kids).

Different tack, is there one book that you read and hated, couldn't finish and would consign to the fiery reaches of hell?

Not sure I would consign it to the fiery reaches of hell, but I have never been able to make it past the first page of The Fellowship of the Ring. That’s how fast I get bored with it (see answer further down for more info on this).

Now one to consign to the fiery reaches of hell. This would be To Kill a Mockingbird. Part of this was probably related to being required to read it for school but it was still terrible. (Editors note: HA! My wife hates that book, she will appreciate this response).

If you could've been a founder member of any band then which one and why?

Not really interested in being part of a band. If I was a musician I would be aiming for a solo act. (Editors note: So? Beyoncé?)

What first brought you to XBA, and then what made you stick around? Plus, how on Earth did we manage to get you to hand over money each month?

Came for some guide. Considering my early games most likely Halo 3 or Bully. I stayed because I liked the guides and joined about 5 months after I found the site. Left the forums for a while because someone decided that everything I said was wrong and felt the need to correct me by giving the same information I did while insulting me (Editors note: Isn't the internet great? No). Never stopped using the guides though. Came back to the forums about two years ago now and decided to sub up to give back a little.

How did you come up with your gamertag? Plus, if you could change it to ANYTHING else, what would it be?

I would always use Exit as my name for games where you got to pick your name when I was young. 9500 was a random set of numbers from one of my early emails that I grew to like and just kept around. If I got the chance I would change it to Exit.

Is the 360/One your only current console? What others have sharpened your gaming skills over the years?

I currently have my 360 and SNES set up (Editors note: HNNG! The SNES is so good - I feel a follow up question about your favourite games should be required). I also have two NESs, a N64, PS2, Gamecube, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, and Gameboy Advance SP.

What's your gaming setup at home?

Not very impressive. Have 36” TV with my 360 and SNES hooked up to it and a 27” TV next to it with my computer connect to it, and my 360 if I want to watch some TV.

When you're picking the next game to play, do you go for gameplay or achievements first?

Depends on the game. RPGs and Action-Adventure games I go for gameplay first, usually give a brief look at achievements but try to avoid spoilers. Other genres I play for achievements right away.

Would you say you just liked the "Tales of" series or would you say it was a day/night obsession that has taken over the very fibre of your being?

It probably was an obsession when I was playing Tales of Symphonia, though it has backed down a bit. It is probably my favorite series though.

Also, if I were to offer the opinion that the "Tales" series was poop - in which circle of hell would you place me?

What’s the one where you stay in an unforgiving fire while being forced to play Kinect Fun Labs: Avatar Kinect? (Editors note: Ouch! Remind me never to cross you).

Everyone has a game they can't get enough of, what’s yours?

On the 360 it would be Beautiful Katamari, We ♥ Katamari and Katamari Damacy would both out rank it though. If you don’t know the reason why, you haven’t played any of them. (Editors note: Woah there. I love me some Katamari, one of the few games my wife would play too. The soundtrack is bliss, I have two different CD's of it - ah, good times).

Sadly I didn’t think Perfect Katamari was as good.

And the game that makes you scream?

Virtually every shooter that I have played. Can’t figure out why I keep buying new ones.

Out of all of the games you played (on any system), which was your favourite?

Secret of Mana for the SNES. Love that game, probably part nostalgic, and still play it a few hours every month, currently about half way through a playthrough I started late last year. It just has a fun gameplay, and a surprisingly good story for how simple it is. I really wish I knew enough Japanese to realistically play Seiken Densetsu 2 as the translation was supposedly very poor. (Editors note: Holy shitballs, we should like move in together or something. I LOVE this game. I actually bought a SNES again a couple of years ago and shelled out £70 to get a mint version of Secret of Mana for it. If you don't travel by cannon then what's the point?)

Well, there has to be a few games that you didn't like. Which ones were the worst?

Clayfighter and Pinnochio for the SNES. Both were just terrible in my opinion.

Admit it, there must be a few games you played just to hear that wondrous achievement unlocked sound? NAME AND SHAME THEM!!!

Family Game Night, Hannah Montana, Kinect Fun Lab games. I just want to mention that I have also played and completed, the game and achievements, Avatar TLA: TBE and have absolutely no regrets about playing it.

To take the bad taste of those filthy games out of your mouth, what achievement(s) are you most proud of?

Two for One in Halo 3 is probably the one that I am most proud of. Manage to get it mainly through luck, but it was one of four achievements in the game that I was sure that I would have to boost.

Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah in Hexic HD mainly because of how annoying it is to do. Not to mention when I managed this I didn’t have internet for a time stamp and refused to make the last move until I did. 6 of the most agonizing days I’ve had. (Editors note: I personally made my housemates gather round to watch my last move, some things need an audience)

Complete all 50 Episodes in N+, not only is this difficult but the only reason I got the game is my friends wanted to play the coop.

“Gold, Mine”, Gold Diggers, and Claim to Fame in Lode Runner. These are probably the most frustrating achievements that I have completed.

Not every game is easy to complete. Are there any games that you are giving up on?

WSOP: Full House Pro is the only one that I have given up on. Servers close in a few months and I just have no real interest in playing enough to finish the achievements I still need. Doubt I would actually finish it even if the servers weren’t going down. There is also already one achievement that is unobtainable that I don’t have, so that make me want to complete the others less.

Other games I refuse to believe that I won’t finish them, but I have effectively given up on Lost Planet Colonies Edition and Ninja Gaiden 2 as I am not sure that I will ever get back to them.

If you could wipe one game franchise clean of the face of the Earth, which would it be?

COD, Halo, Gears of War. Take your pick. (Editors note: I can't handle the crushing pressure of this responsibility so I'll open it up to the comments).

Do you care that most games nowadays seem to be rehashes? If you could choose would you go for a new IP or something familiar?

It doesn’t really matter to me as long as the game is good. I actually tend to prefer games like Final Fantasy where they are part of the same franchise, but each game (set of games in a few cases) is its own little universe. If I really have to choose though I would go with a new IP.

We all know gaming goes on till the early morning. What do you eat and drink to keep the reflexes sharp all night?

Coffee, black, and if it is going to be a very late night I usually have some cereal to go along with it.

I'm assuming some of those late night sessions included some achievement boosting. Any good/bad/memorable experiences you can regale us with? Were staff involved?

The one that comes to my mind was the session where I was going for Campaign Complete: Legendary on Halo 3. Took us about 3 hours to finish all but the last level, which I already had due to Annual. The other people then decided to try for Annual. It took us an additional 5 hours to complete Annual with me and one of the others being the only ones that were fairly good, and me being the only one that understood how to drive a ghost. It was just with a bunch of random people, so no staff involved.

You have any particular online buddies that you hang out with regularly? Or any that have gone AWOL and you pine for like a lonely wolf?

Never really played with anyone in particular outside of community gaming sessions.

Naked gaming - good or the stuff of nightmares?

Its not bad though not terribly amazing either, but I’m currently set up in the basement where I’m pretty sure that in the winter its barely above freezing and in the mid 50s °F during the summer.

What was the last thing you purchased on the arcade? Was it worth it?

Based on my purchase history that would be TWD: Season 2 Season Pass. Haven’t played it yet, so don’t really know if it was worth it. Last thing I bought that I have played is Abyss Odyssey which I thought was a great game.

Do you purchase/enjoy DLC? Or see it as a vicious cash cow to be ignored?

I get the DLC for games I like, and DLC with achievements for other games. It is a vicious cash cow though.

Are you like deliberately not having a staff club or is this now some kind of elaborate gotcha? Let's assume you COULD have one (you can - stop being ridiculous) then what would you put in there and WHY?

Shhh. I don’t think anyone has noticed. (Editors note: Not noticed? Dude - I get like 100 PM's a day about it. Maybe.)

I feel I should say that I am a completionist, but that I have no problem with completing a game now or in 5 years. When I get bored with a game I put it aside and play something else. I usually got back around to it within a few months but my college job gave in some money with no real purpose, so I bought new games and didn’t really get back around to any of the ones that I put aside. I’m now trying to go back and start working on them, but I still have enough that I can switch to something else that I put aside when I get bored with what I am playing. To make matters worse for it, I often switch to tv or books for awhile instead of a different video game, and will go with these until I get bored with them. I actually have one of my NES games that has been sitting and waiting for me to feel like getting back to it for about 18 years now. That said I am actually working on the last game for it now, I won’t spoil the awesome surprise for everyone about what the games are though.

I do see that you are a competitive sort though - having a number of tournament garlands hung around your neck (well, on your profile). Does competition spur you on and bring the best out of you?

Doesn’t really do much for me. Participated to have some fun but all it really seemed to do was cause me to change how and which games I was playing. Still had some fun though.

Out of the tournaments you've taken part in which have you enjoyed the most?

Staff vs Subs. Felt like I had the most freedom in what I did, mainly because I didn’t go out and buy new games for it. This also limited what I could do as I didn’t have a lot of games for the genres that came up.

If you could create your own site event then what would it be? Any crazy rules or hijinks? A TWIST ENDING?

It’s time to replay TMNT 1989 Arcade.

As for an actual event, you got me and I seriously doubt that there would be any crazy rules, hijinks, or twist endings.

You were victorious in the staff vs subs event (as a sub) - so does the shame of your achievement burn a hole in your heart now you are one of us? (TRAITOR!)

I’m waiting for it to come up again to add a nice sinking sub to my cracking crown. (Editors note: That's the spirit. Crush those noobs.)

I also note that you've been a helperton with guides, maps and submissions (YAY), is there any guide you wish you could have written or call dibs on?

I rather want to do Digimon: All-Star Rumble. Doubt it will happen as I haven’t even found a copy yet and I’m not very good at fighters. Otherwise there weren’t any that really interested me. I just try to work on ones that are missing that I have played.

Have you invested in an Xbox One, or maybe a PS4? If not, is there any reason why you're holding out?

Don’t have either right now and its entirely related to me not having gathered enough money together. I do intend to eventually get and X1 and maybe a PS4. It’s just a matter of time.

Which game(s) are you most eagerly awaiting?

I have enough games that I haven’t played/finished that I’m not really awaiting any new games. Fable: Anniversary and Final Fantasy XIII-3 are the games I don’t have that I want the most though.

If you could add ONE thing/feature to the site, what would it be?

Main thing that comes to my mind would be some way to improve the Avatar Award submission process, but since Dark became staff it has become much better.

If you were Admin of the site for a day, what would you do?!

First I would declare myself sole ruler of the universe and begin my conquest. After accepting the surrender of the rest of the universe we would then go on and offer Duck Faces for everyone (11 for Scotty). (Editors note: Heheheheheheheh.)

Any closing remarks?

Time Jumps into the Endless Darkness of Night

Good Read, Exit! Though I nearly stopped reading once I got to this:

If you could wipe one game franchise clean of the face of the Earth, which would it be?

COD, Halo, Gears of War. Take your pick. (Editors note: I can't handle the crushing pressure of this responsibility so I'll open it up to the comments).

:uzi::p

-----

Is there some sort of Staff prejudice against BiggD in not getting Spotlighted? It's be well over a year ;)

Edited by BiggD

Good Read, Exit! Though I nearly stopped reading once I got to this:

:uzi::p

-----

Is there some sort of Staff prejudice against BiggD in not getting Spotlighted? It's be well over a year ;)

LOL. I think Doug has actually been on the list longer than you, but I don't actually go in date order (in case anyone else was wondering). Instead I put the number of people currently signed up into random.org and let it pick for me.

No accusations of favouritism that way. Funnily, even though MY name has been in the pot all this time (as I can't be bothered taking it out) I've never actually drawn my own number either.

Guess some of us are just unlucky.

LOL. I think Doug has actually been on the list longer than you, but I don't actually go in date order (in case anyone else was wondering). Instead I put the number of people currently signed up into random.org and let it pick for me.

No accusations of favouritism that way. Funnily, even though MY name has been in the pot all this time (as I can't be bothered taking it out) I've never actually drawn my own number either.

Guess some of us are just unlucky.

Ahh, random.org :p No worries, at all. Was just curious how the spotlights were chosen :D

You have to forgive me one day exit, you just have to! That's when i'll strike back!!

And i see you're another who favoured Staff vs. Subs tournament idea! It's a shame though really, when Staff vs. Subs comes round again you'll be on the team that's getting pasted!! You still have my Tri-gamer tournament award and i want vengeance! Vengeance of the highest order!

Great read though... :)

Only 11 for Scotty?! At least 12 so it's an even number. :)

Hey, it's not my fault you went and made a boo-boo. I just exploit that fact for the ensuing degrading hilarity. I'm totally innocent...

:biglaugh

Edited by Scotty

Only 11 for Scotty?! At least 12 so it's an even number. :)

So he can claim to have had a Duck Face Army? No

Congratulations fellow Katamari fan on getting chosen for the spotlight! :) Also looking forward to seeing your staff club go up someday soon; I wonder how much of it I'll end up finishing before everyone finds out the games. :p

I recommend starting with the fifth one. I can send you the spreadsheets I'm working on to make it easier. Gives me a good reason to finish them.

I recommend starting with the fifth one. I can send you the spreadsheets I'm working on to make it easier. Gives me a good reason to finish them.

I still need to buy the fifth one lol Or are you talking about another game as the fifth one? If that's the case, I can definitely start that one! Also, the spreadsheets will definitely be helpful, thank you so much! :D

Good read Exit, pretty sure it was the first or second page of Fellowship where I dropped it too. Got through The Hobbit fine, twice actually, but just could not get into the LotR books :(

Funnily, even though MY name has been in the pot all this time (as I can't be bothered taking it out) I've never actually drawn my own number either.

This needs to happen, I can only imagine the hilarity of you bantering with yourself in one of these :p

Good read Exit, pretty sure it was the first or second page of Fellowship where I dropped it too. Got through The Hobbit fine, twice actually, but just could not get into the LotR books :(

I read The Hobbit a few times and The Return of the King. I just can't get past the first page of Fellowship of the Ring, never tried to read The Two Towers.

I read The Hobbit a few times and The Return of the King. I just can't get past the first page of Fellowship of the Ring, never tried to read The Two Towers.

The Hobbit is also more of a children's book, which is why it's an easy read with simple language. The LOTR trilogy is just so dense.

I've read The Hobbit twice, too, but I can't be bothered reading the LOTR books after checking out the first 20-30 pages at Barnes and Noble this past summer.