MMORPG's On Next Generation Consoles ?

ScottHarris

MMORPG's on the next Xbox Yes or No ?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. MMORPG's on the next Xbox Yes or No ?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I've never played an MMORPG before, seeing as how successful they are (especially the free-to-play ones like League of Legends and Runescape) I wouldn't be surprised if they appeared on the next XBOX. We're already getting a taste of the MMORPG world in this generation in a few months with Defiance, and it looks promising so far.

I voted no because I voted before reading a word you wrote...

I don't mean I'm against it, why would I be ? It could make for some rather impressive achievements. I voted No because of the lack of controls. Unless they give you the option to use a mouse and keyboard without buying anything else or having to mod your console or whatever I don't think it would be practical at all. But if it's to play with a mouse and keyboard what's the point apart from achievements ?

@Fatal: how is LOL an MMORPG ??

Definitely for it. Defiance is coming out soon for those interested in playing an MMO that isn't an RPG. Defiance is a 3rd person shooter MMO. Link to site is in my signature if anyone is interested. Free to play, just buy it, and you can play all you want no monthly fee.

Anyhow I'd love to see more on consoles in the next gen as long as they don't start throwing in pay2win games.

I don't mean I'm against it, why would I be ? It could make for some rather impressive achievements. I voted No because of the lack of controls. Unless they give you the option to use a mouse and keyboard without buying anything else or having to mod your console or whatever I don't think it would be practical at all. But if it's to play with a mouse and keyboard what's the point apart from achievements ?

Oh, I looked it up. It's a multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA), kind of like Guardians of Middle-Earth on XBLA. My bad :p

But you get my point, MMORPGs and MOBAs are becoming more popular (especially the free-to-play ones). It wouldn't be surprising if one appeared on the next XBOX.

Oh, I looked it up. It's a multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA), kind of like Guardians of Middle-Earth on XBLA. My bad :p

But you get my point, MMORPGs and MOBAs are becoming more popular (especially the free-to-play ones). It wouldn't be surprising if one appeared on the next XBOX.

They have been popular and more mainstream for quite some time. That's why the games are in the current state. Half assed with broken promises, and people continue to hope for the next big MMO.

Same old broken promises every time.

Definitely for it. Defiance is coming out soon for those interested in playing an MMO that isn't an RPG. Defiance is a 3rd person shooter MMO. Link to site is in my signature if anyone is interested. Free to play, just buy it, and you can play all you want no monthly fee.

Anyhow I'd love to see more on consoles in the next gen as long as they don't start throwing in pay2win games.

[D2D]4Life

The success of Defiance is going to go a long way towards determining whether MMOs become a staple of the next generation. The lack of success of the Final Fantasy MMO basically killed the genre on the current console generation so hopefully Defiance proves that the concept can work.

The OP brings up "upgrades". I'm not sure what you mean by this but I think that the problems with MMOs on consoles no longer have anything to do with console hardware limitations. The current generation is more then powerful enough to run MMOs in terms of graphics and loading and such. It has to do with the net-coding, server hosting and the willingness of the console manufacturers to work with the developers to provide what they need.

MMOs need constant updating to be successful. They need to adapt to what the player base is asking for. As a result that whole $40,000 cost per update on the 360 can be prohibitive. From what I understand Microsoft has worked around this with Trion for Defiance.

If Defiance is successful it will go a long way towards convincing Microsoft that this is something they should be willing to do in the future.

Quick F.Y.I.: There is a nice sized group of us in the forum community getting ready to play Defiance. For those of you that don't want to get involved with the typical MMO style guild but want to play the game with a decent pool of players you should head over Defiance forum sub-section and look into the little group we are forming.

More MOBAs are definitely welcome. They are tons of fun.

To be honest i am not bothered about having a keyboard and mouse, i prefer a controller like on Phantasy Star Universe anyway so not having them wouldn't bother me at all.

if it finally gets them to make a mouse accessory why not :p

not really fussed about the mmo's I have tried and never really gotten into, does not seem to fit my life style or type of gaming but would love to be able to get into one.

tried:

Age of Conan

Diablo 3 (if it counts)

DC Universe

City of Heroes

Phantasy Star

Voted No first, then started reading....

MMORPG's just keep on evolving and adding new contents all the time...

For some of them the new content comes for free, others, no.

Many of the MMO's are free to play, with others you have to pay a monthly subscription, some of those games also offer in game shops for real money, which sooner or later will be happening in all of the MMO's.

I will not be naming any of them, those of you who play those games know enough about them.

Anyway, my reasons for voting No are:

1) I do not believe M$ will keep up updating the MMO games as the PC ones update. (I am not hinting on same games for PC and/or xbox)

2) I am almost absolutely 1000% sure that M$ will make (if they release MMO's) ALL of those with a monthly subscription, new content will be purchasable for M$ points (or whatever new currency they will come up with)

3) Game controls, usually there are WAY too many keys and hotkeys to use in MMO's. (Unless like mentioned earlier, keyboard and mouse will be supported)

4) Personal reason, I do not see myself playing MMO's on a console in general.

Voted No first, then started reading....

MMORPG's just keep on evolving and adding new contents all the time...

For some of them the new content comes for free, others, no.

Many of the MMO's are free to play, with others you have to pay a monthly subscription, some of those games also offer in game shops for real money, which sooner or later will be happening in all of the MMO's.

I will not be naming any of them, those of you who play those games know enough about them.

Anyway, my reasons for voting No are:

1) I do not believe M$ will keep up updating the MMO games as the PC ones update. (I am not hinting on same games for PC and/or xbox)

2) I am almost absolutely 1000% sure that M$ will make (if they release MMO's) ALL of those with a monthly subscription, new content will be purchasable for M$ points (or whatever new currency they will come up with)

3) Game controls, usually there are WAY too many keys and hotkeys to use in MMO's. (Unless like mentioned earlier, keyboard and mouse will be supported)

4) Personal reason, I do not see myself playing MMO's on a console in general.

1. MS isn't the one doing updates for games. All they do is sit back, charge developers 40 thousand dollars to have an update go through certification. Reason games sometimes seem to lack support from a developer is because of this very ridiculous reason.

2. Again, MS has no say in these games unless they are the publisher and funding said title. Although having some exp with MMO's, pay to play is better 99.9% of the time. You pay to play a better game, free to play most of the time is free to play because it suck's too much to want to pay a monthly subscription fee.

3. There are indeed a lot of hotkeys and whatnot in PC MMO's, most that really don't need to be there and a lot that can be simply put into a quick accessible sub menu where a controller could quickly access it.

4. Not going to comment on your 4th point as it was just your personal preference to not play console

MMO's.