What should I play as?

thm241

I have neverplayed any elder scrolls games and am considering buying Skyrim but I was wondering what would be good to play as? I am not asking you to tell me which one to play as but more like give me the pros and the cons of every class I could play as. Also any tips are welcome, because as I said i'm not really into RPGs but this one looks pretty good and I think I am going to buy it.

No classes. Just play what you find enjoyable & your character will advance in any/all skills you use.

Feel free to try 1-handed, 2-handed, duel-wielding or shield, and archery.

Try out some magic. Sneak, pickpocket, or don't.

It doesn't matter how you approach the game, your play style will get stronger no matter what you do.

I never played an Elder Scrolls game before this either, & came into the game with the mindset i'd play it a certain way. However, the more you play, the more you'll adapt to what the game throws at you & you'll forget about classes or archetypes. If you do like to role-play though, feel free to be that kind of character, all play styles are very rewarding.

Pros & Cons:

Mage: Great to start, gets tough in the middle, but better towards the end as you get proper enchantments. Not an easy class to play, especially Pure Mage (unarmored).

Warrior: Easy to play, i recommend basic Sword + Shield to friends who started, they all enjoyed it. Heavy Armor + Shield means less damage taken, but kind of weak to start. You wont die as much, but enemies might take longer to kill until youre leveled up.

Rogue: Easily most DPS. Sneak Attacks (bow and dagger) do ridiculous damage. If you stick to light armor...not as strong as Warrior, so youll take more damage, but you can kill quicker. Better at range (bow), or sneaking (dagger), not as good in melee combat.

Basically, no matter how you play, there is a learning curve. The game is easy to start out with, gets harder towards the middle as enemies level up, but gets easier again as YOU level up and max out skills and perks, and put proper enchantments on your Legendary gear.

xD

Yeah, I'd reccomend an elven race if you're going heavy bow and stealth. Khajiit for for a more neutral character (i.e. leveling up everything in general, no going one direct route). Orcs or Nords for a good pure warrior. Imperials and Breton for a good warrior and mage mix.

Uhmm... Redguards I think tend to also be a good warrior. As for argonians (what I'm using now) I think are a very good stealth class. That includes pickpocketing, lockpicking, stealth, one-handed, speech, light armor. At least, that's how I play with my argonian character.

Sneaking up on someone underwater is beyond epic, considering they can breathe underwater. :p Note that these are just my opinions, not universal fact. Some people might think an argonian is more for a magic style play, who knows.

xD

Yeah, I'd reccomend an elven race if you're going heavy bow and stealth. Khajiit for for a more neutral character (i.e. leveling up everything in general, no going one direct route). Orcs or Nords for a good pure warrior. Imperials and Breton for a good warrior and mage mix.

Uhmm... Redguards I think tend to also be a good warrior. As for argonians (what I'm using now) I think are a very good stealth class. That includes pickpocketing, lockpicking, stealth, one-handed, speech, light armor. At least, that's how I play with my argonian character.

Sneaking up on someone underwater is beyond epic, considering they can breathe underwater. :p Note that these are just my opinions, not universal fact. Some people might think an argonian is more for a magic style play, who knows.

Those are the typical race/class combos, yes. But, the great thing about Skyrim is that no race is "better" at styles then others...they only start with +5 or +10 in skills (which is easily overcome after a couple hours of playing anyway).

Some of the racial bonuses ARE better then others, but its not definitive nor game breaking, Dunmer have a nice +50% fire resist, Nords have the +50% frost, Bretons the +25% magic. Each of those are handy, but can also be accomplished through perks, enchanting and potions.

For example...im running a Nord Mage right now. Plays the same as a Breton Mage. Only difference is i have a Fear racial ability (Battlecry), and i have the frost bonus.

Those are the typical race/class combos, yes. But, the great thing about Skyrim is that no race is "better" at styles then others...they only start with +5 or +10 in skills (which is easily overcome after a couple hours of playing anyway).

Some of the racial bonuses ARE better then others, but its not definitive nor game breaking, Dunmer have a nice +50% fire resist, Nords have the +50% frost, Bretons the +25% magic. Each of those are handy, but can also be accomplished through perks, enchanting and potions.

For example...im running a Nord Mage right now. Plays the same as a Breton Mage. Only difference is i have a Fear racial ability (Battlecry), and i have the frost bonus.

Very true, well said. :)

I'd choose the class that gives you resistance to magic or fire or ice from the get go. Then from there just play around, I personally enjoy sneaking with my bow and destruction magic

I would recommend Dunmer to new characters for exactly that reason, they have the 50% fire resist, and most of the early mages and the first Dragons you fight use Fire. Plus their Ancestor's Wrath Ability is handy when you get overwhelmed.

I would recommend Dunmer to new characters for exactly that reason, they have the 50% fire resist, and most of the early mages and the first Dragons you fight use Fire. Plus their Ancestor's Wrath Ability is handy when you get overwhelmed.

Yeah, except you'll be forced to live in the Grey Quarter with the rest of the Dark Elf scum, and deal with all sorts of racist folk. Not as bad as having to put up with Nazeem of course, but still annoying. :p