What Things Do You Wish They Added and Didn't Add?

One thing I wish they added was some perks that would allow you to fight on horses. Something in the Marksmanship constellation that would let you shoot your bow while riding, and of course the same for one handed and two handed.

Of course, the catch could always be reduced accuracy and damage (you'd be partially focused on trying to stay on the horse, realistically speaking). It would help keep the combat fluid, but would likely require changing the button layout when riding a horse.

One thing I wish that they didn't add, would definitely be Fallout 3's lockpicking system. For one, I just don't think it was a good idea bringing over something from an entirely different game. In my opinion, you should always keep things seperate. Of course, general RPG concepts such as quests, leveling, etc. are perfectly fine.

But something as specific as the lockpicking mechanics should've been left alone. Another reason is because I simply dislike it. Mostly it is luck based, so they had to add perks to assist you. In Oblivion, you could actually see what you're doing, and was all about skill. Now it has just become a guessing game, requiring me to carry around hundreds of picks. Damn those Master locks...

Another thing I wish they didn't do was force you to return the Skeleton Key after finishing the quest it is involved with. It rather should've ended like, "Once you prove your skill as a thief and follower of me, Nocturnal, I will allow you to have the Skeleton Key." Instead it was like, "Okay, you did all this work, now give me arguably one of the most useful items in the game, and in return I give you this really 'special' title of Nightengale (sure it's cool, but come on, not a fair trade-off in my opinion)."

Other than that, very few complaints, and this game was the only one that didn't disappoint except for Battlefield 3 this year. Now, I ask, what were your things you wish they added, or didn't add, to Skyrim?

Edited by XToastySniperX

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A system that allows you to get Lydia back after going walkies, im sure she didnt die but just vanished! I could just go get another house and with it a carl i guess!

Her bed still says its owned but that slut aint been sleeping in it for weeks!

Weapons. Its feels like there are less and less every game. I want throwing stars ... spears ... cross bows... Flails... Halberds ... I want wands and staffs that actually make a difference...

Robes. I want some robes I can enchant myself ... there are only like 2 or 3 very boring looking unenchanted robes and unlike warriors you cant even add better enchants than the ones you find... and only one pair of gloves that isnt armour and looks boring and brown?

Cloaks. Enought said.

Build/Race. Health / Magicka / Stamina ... How boring is that? I want to be able to run faster and jump higher! also race is nothing but aesthetic ... as a mage I could play a High Elf or a Nord and its exactly the same! Why?

Enemies. There is almost nothing to fight in dungeons except bandits and spiders ... What happened there? I seem to recall so much more of a fantasy element to the past games.

Magic. Its disapointing how few spells there are. I know alot of people want levitation, but what about other spells which seem to have been removed? there are only like 4 things you can summon? I cant walk on water? I cant use magic to open locks? no feather spells? no night eye spell?

Quests. Not mentioning how short they are, once your finished, has anything really changed for the better? Dragons are still there. Because of me the Dark Brotherhood is down to about 4 members. The Archmage died because some crazy thalmor went nuts over some orb I found. I dont remember why but some companions died ... probably my fault ... not to mention the emperor is dead ...

Vampires. I can walk in the sun? Gold vampire eyes? No vampire clans to join? Infact no friendly vampire at all that want to talk to me without using calm spells, and even then all they say is 'need something?' ... Vampire husband? wife?

Dont get me wrong I still love the game and will probably waste hundreds of hours on it, but still ... :(

I wish they added:

Spell creation as in Oblivion, and a much wider range of available spells.

More npc's that weren't Nords with shit accents.

More interesting wildlife. Rabbits, butterflies, bears and deer. Oooooo, that's new and exciting.

More unique and powerful loot items that couldn't be bettered by smithing items.

Being able to add any enchantment to any piece of armour like Oblivion.

Bigger cities. Winterhold had like 2-3 buildings.

More varied weather than snow. Got old quick.

Better guild questlines. They were all pretty lame and short except Dark Brotherhood.

Being able to customize weapons and armour with different colours, or even jewels in them to make them look unique.

I wish they never added:

So many bloody Draugr! Seriously, there are loads of the blighters!

Bards College. A waste of time and space on the game.

Being a werewolf. It ended up being so lame, being killed by 3 arrows despite having over 400 health.

The Forsworn, as they had super strength weapons that killed in a couple of hits, and super strength armour too. Neither of which worked out well for me when I used them.

I wish they had horseback fighting or the ability to use a sword in the water (we could 200 years ago so why not now?), or even the ability to whistle/otherwise locate your horse - I spent 1000 gold on a horse for it to leg it every time I was fighting! Took 10 mins to look for horse then decided enough is enough and walk to my destination :(

On the other hand I love the new lockpick system I find that it is much more skill based than the old one which in my opinion was more luck. In Obilivion I had to carry hundreds of darn lockpicks whereas in Skyrim I only need a few at any one time.

Really? I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I digress.

In Oblivion it was timing. As locks got harder, you could either cast a spell to open it (with high enough magic if I'm not mistaken), or the tumblers would be faster and more sporadic, with different amounts of tumblers in different positions.

This required a lot more skill than, "Oh, the lock only turned this far, so maybe its to the left... Nope, maybe to the right... God dangit, it broke!" There is a lot more guessing. With Oblivion there was literally no guessing involved. You either timed it right and it clicked into place, or you mistimed and it broke the pick.

You also got to keep the effing Skeleton Key... -.-

In Oblivion it was timing. As locks got harder, you could either cast a spell to open it (with high enough magic if I'm not mistaken), or the tumblers would be faster and more sporadic, with different amounts of tumblers in different positions.

This required a lot more skill than, "Oh, the lock only turned this far, so maybe its to the left... Nope, maybe to the right... God dangit, it broke!" There is a lot more guessing. With Oblivion there was literally no guessing involved. You either timed it right and it clicked into place, or you mistimed and it broke the pick.

I liked the oblivion way better. In skyrim its more of a guessing game than skill now. That said I used magic to open most things ... except gates which are apparently unaffected by magic ... Why did they remove that spell ... going through the trouble of picking that master lock just to find 3 gold coins and a pair of boots ... :p

Hmm... sure it's guess work in where you initially put the pick, but beyond that it's not really luck, it's about having a deft touch and being able to gradually move the pick to the right location without it breaking based on the vibration of the pick. That doesn't sound like guesswork to me; it sounds like a skill.

What I want added:

A place to stable your horse (I don't like NPC Followers, let alone a freaking horse following me around)

I'm with you on that one. I lost Frost while I was in a ruin. Didn't notice he was gone until about an hour later after fast traveling to Riverwood. Last time I had him, I remembered parking him behind a mountain so bandits wouldn't notice him. Well, I had to load up the last save before the end of the ruin, go through all of that hassle again and then fast traveled to the opening only to find 2 dead bandits, a dead bear and a dead Frost. Never again will I own a horse I can't stable!

Oh, and more storage options and empty shelves...

Hmm... sure it's guess work in where you initially put the pick, but beyond that it's not really luck, it's about having a deft touch and being able to gradually move the pick to the right location without it breaking based on the vibration of the pick. That doesn't sound like guesswork to me; it sounds like a skill.

Oh, don't worry, I get what you're saying.

But first you have to guess originally where to place the pick. Then once you find the right general area, you have start even more guessing. "Is it more to the right?" I don't know, it doesn't show crap. "Is it more to the left?" I don't know.

Is it five inches to the left? Is it only a little bit over? And I've never noticed any difference in the vibration of the pick. Either you're superhuman to detect such frequencies like an earth bender from Avatar, or Nocturnal has really given you a hefty blessing of luck.

What I will say that doesn't sound so angry, is that I think both systems technically involve some sort of luck and guessing. In fact, just about anything can require luck/guessing. So I think it just comes down to personal taste, and we should agree to disagree. :)

Edited by XToastySniperX

The entire lockpicking system in this game is based on luck. I don't really see how any skill is involved at all. Especially with the skeleton key. With it, you can just move it around and much as you want with no worries and then fine tune it. It's luck based because the lock can be directly where the pick is or it could be on some stupid angle that breaks your pick over a 1mm movement.

I wish i could marry the Tavern Girls... there always the prettiest....

I wish i could buy house without having to go to 30 quests... the concept of being the thane is idiotic as all the NPN are actually residents owning houses in the city...

I wish i could had got kids

I wish i could had become the hight king of Skyrim and make judgements...

I wish i could kill anybody like in Morrowind... the concept of not being able to die unless its by my hands for mercenary is cool, should had been applied to every NPC...

Anyway, some stuff like that overall, and im disapointed to see they gave us a freaking castle in Oblivion but so late the game was way over for me... wish they would had add one in Skyrim from the get go...

The entire lockpicking system in this game is based on luck. I don't really see how any skill is involved at all. Especially with the skeleton key. With it, you can just move it around and much as you want with no worries and then fine tune it. It's luck based because the lock can be directly where the pick is or it could be on some stupid angle that breaks your pick over a 1mm movement.

It's not based on luck if you do it slowly you can feel the difference in vibrations - it's much closer to how you actually pick a lock in reallife than pushing pins up randomly and seeing how fast they fall. I like the realism factor. :woop:

It's not based on luck if you do it slowly you can feel the difference in vibrations - it's much closer to how you actually pick a lock in reallife than pushing pins up randomly and seeing how fast they fall. I like the realism factor. :woop:

I completely agree - Fallout's system actually makes sense and the lockpicking in Oblivion was bloody awful!

Really?

It's one building in one of the largest cities in the game and it's three simple dungeon fetch quests which level up EVERY SINGLE SKILL in the game.

Yep really. I slaughtered every bard in every tavern I found. It really did irritated me. The levelling up the skills was pointless due to the fact I've found it far to easy to increase skills and my level in Skyrim. Even without using any of the glitches.

I've no idea why it was included, and other guilds ended up being weak. Mages college was a massive let down for me. I finished it and felt deflated about the whole experience, and there was no substance in it. I'm thinking of getting Oblivion again, so I can play a beefed out Elder Scrolls game.

For me I wish they didn't add the whole 'encumbrance' thing and have a weight limit to what you can carry, I know that isn't exclusive to this game, but I wish they had decided to leave it out. Always seems to be the case that you are always at your limit when you get to the premium loot.

I know having endless storage in player houses offsets it a little but it is still a pain.

The one thing I wish they had added, was the ability to trade items with other players over Xbox Live, or maybe a marketplace so we could buy / sell items we had looted. A Co-op system would be nice but the trading system would be a nice start.