Critically Panned... Is It Worth Getting?

So the stuff I've read from the critics seems to suggest this game is long winded, has dull uninspiring cut scenes and the gameplay has been dumbed down to being overly basic?

I'd rather hear from gamers who enjoyed the series though.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Az

Same basic combat system we have gotten across the series, few tweaks here and there. Cutscenes are long and there are many of them, they are probably uninspiring since whoever reviewed it is not a fan of the series. Fans should love it. The game is fine; I really enjoy it. I only have a few issues with the game which is the camera in free roam can be weird.

If you enjoyed previous games or are a fan of the show/manga then you should enjoy quite well. So yes, I would even suggest buying it, the game is good enough for that and you can online matches with people. I rented it til my collectors edition shows up. I am glad to support this game, so that more are made.

Critics are overrated anyways.

Edited by KillerBEA

Critics that don't understand anime and the series in general will probably look past some of the good aspects that only a fan would notice and appreciate.

Some of the review scores given have been way too harsh (especially from Game Trailers & Gamespot). It's a good, fun game for what it's worth, although it could have been a little better in certain areas.

Here's a good review that I agree with.

http://www.gamesradar.com/naruto-shippuden-ultimate-ninja-storm-3-review/

I feel it is worth it. I have no problem with the long cutscenes as it feels like I'm taking part in the anime. Hell the game looks better than the show imo. The Boss battles are sweet, the gameplay as fun as always. Though the final battle is pissing me off.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't know that much about the Anime or even the Manga but I absolutely love the art style of games like this.

Bringing cartoons to life is the greatest thing a game can do for me.

If I can hunt a copy down I might just pick it up.

Az

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't know that much about the Anime or even the Manga but I absolutely love the art style of games like this.

Bringing cartoons to life is the greatest thing a game can do for me.

If I can hunt a copy down I might just pick it up.

Az

It depends on how much you know about the series. I LOVED the original series, but watched it dubbed. I didn't know Shippuden was on Disney and had never watched or read it online, so I was familiar with the universe, but didn't know what Storm 2 was about. That said, I really enjoyed the game's take on the story. With Storm 3, I feel it's similar in that the story can stand alone for someone familiar with the series, but not up to date. Depending on how much you know about the series, you may want to take a look at the Naruto wiki and read a plot synopsis, as well as get familiar with a few characters.

In terms of gameplay, you need to appreciate the rest of the package to appreciate the combat. Each character has a combo removed from previous games, but other mechanics have been added such as instant awakenings and awakening actions. The developers have a system of "appearing powerful". This let's them incorporate ridiculously powerful moves into each character's repertoire while keeping it balanced.

I hope you get the chance to fully enjoy this game. :)

Critics that don't understand anime and the series in general will probably look past some of the good aspects that only a fan would notice and appreciate.

couldn´t agree more, you can literally see the face of the guy who reviewed the game, that has "another cartoon game" on it. doesn´t want to learn the game, doesn´t want to know the story.

of course giving a godlike score would be (a bit) to much but it doesn´t deserve some of these.

i like it a lot and it is one of my most anticipated games this year. i saw the cutscenes to often in anime, manga or/and games so i agree they can be long but i wouldn´t dare to skip certain scenes since its nice to see some of them again. (highly doubt any reviewer watched all of them).

what i really appreciate is thats not only text but almost everytime with voice acting.

can´t wait to play online again. i´d give it a 8/10 so far, fanboy points not included FYI.

Just thought I'd chime in with my overall thoughts on the game since I 1000'd it earlier today. As much as I like the game, I can completely understand the negative reviews it's been getting. A fair few early sections of the game do drag on with the cutscene to gameplay ratio being way out of whack. Thankfully the later chapters make up for this with some truly spectacular bossfight. But even as a fan of the show I found myself in a few situations where I was like "Jesus, okay, can I just get to the next fight please?!".

I managed to 100% it in 17 or so hours, but that doesn't include time spent watching cutscenes. If you're competent at the game getting S ranks isn't much trouble at all, especially with a guide.

My main problem with the game comes with replay value and length. I have 1000G but haven't fully 100%'d the game, but I don't find the fetch quests opened up at the end of the game very fun at all. That leaves online, which you either enjoy or hate.

Overall I'd say it's worth a rent at least since it's a pretty easy 1000 and after the slow start it kicks up a notch once the war actually starts. But unless you're gonna play the hell out of online I wouldn't say it's worth a buy. I've yet to touch the online but will give it a go, but if it's similar to Storm 2 with a bunch of Rasengan users and Diedara spammers I'll probably end up trading this in for GoW:J or something.

The one thing that bugs me about this game is the achievement list. Ninja Storm 2's made me drain a lot out of the game. A lot of unecessary grinding but I enjoyed it anyways. Now I'm not done with the game yet so I can't speak too soon but the post-game/explorering content seems non-existent which is an extreme bummer. Hopefully I can be pleasantly surprised otherise though.

The one thing that bugs me about this game is the achievement list. Ninja Storm 2's made me drain a lot out of the game. A lot of unecessary grinding but I enjoyed it anyways. Now I'm not done with the game yet so I can't speak too soon but the post-game/explorering content seems non-existent which is an extreme bummer. Hopefully I can be pleasantly surprised otherise though.

its a fighting game so post-game is playing online or with friends. you did that already ^^.

btw. i skipped a few boring cutscenes but i just finished the fight against kurama and i couldn´t skip the kushina scenes because they are so good. really detailed game.

Well I'd played enough of "Generations" to understand why Naruto turns into a magic fox and who the Akutsane (you know who I mean) are.

To be honest if I hadn't I wouldn't have a fekken clue what was going on.

Perhaps most embarassing of all is that I completely forgot how to play "Naruto" and spent the first few fights getting royally pummelled until I went into the Menu and read the "Fighting Basics" info they give you.

It's a simple but effective control scheme that's deeper than many people seem to give it credit for. Because I'm unfamiliar with pretty much everyone's movesets then it's a struggle sometimes even on "Hero" but the game is so pretty I'm still managing to enjoy myself.

Az