Hero/Menace Mechanic

Ok, so I need to put this in print... this has to be the stupidest mechanic I have ever seen in a Spider-Man game.

If I DON'T get involved with these "activities" that authority figures within the game don't want me to, I get branded Menace? That is pretty stupid considering in order for the meter to not be in menace you have to CONSTANTLY do side activities. If it was a slow burn, then it wouldn't be so bad. If you stop, even for like a minute or two, your Hero meter will drop into Menace, even with the suit that slows it down. I am just trying to clean up my collectibles, but the game wants to make it 10 times more freaking annoying cause every 2 seconds there is a giant electric net in my way. If they allowed me to turn OFF this mechanic post story, I would be fine.

Decent overall game for what I expected anyway, but the addition of this meter turns a fun little game, into a test of my patience. Well, I suppose it isn't the meter itself, even though that part really makes no sense either, but it is the repercussions of having a full menace meter, makes the best part of Spider-Man (just swinging around the city freely) into a huge headache.

Edited by Midnight Malice

They practically force you to do the side-missions, which are generic and lackluster already. I wouldn't mind at all how uncreative these things are, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm constantly having to complete them instead of just choosing when I feel like doing them myself. All because I want to avoid being labeled a "menace", which is only because I didn't do the cop's job for them.

No clue what they were thinking with this mechanic myself.

Exactly as you said, it's turns what could be a fun rental into a stressful chore.

Edited by ThatStrange1

Stick to the main missions... Don't do any of the rescues and sides.... Just keep trucking. Once the menace goes up, don't worry about it. I wouldn't even bother with collectables yet. Once you complete the game, you'll have to do quests to get exp to max out all suits, so do them then. At this point you should have the "collectable" perk and the pick ups will show on the map as well allowing you to get the pick ups as well....

it seemed like a good way to make people think about doing the side missions before continuing with the story

And it is - but the speed in which the Hero/Menace meter drops is completely unfair. (Almost as unfair as the damn firetruck missions!)

I just wonder WTF they were thinking. Everything I have experienced so far is vastly improved since the first. Combat is smoother. Web slinging is awesome (but wall running is a bit off). I am only on the second mission and can't do it. Everytime I get close to it the game starts punishing me and my OCD kicks in and I am off to another fire or car chase. Passing up comics along my way because it is flashing red

I absolutely hated this mechanic. If you're going to have 300 comics to find, don't put in a system that requires frequent crime stopping. I just ignored them all and had to put up with those stupid barriers for hours. In theory, it's a good thing for a Spider-man game, but not executed like it is.

• 1 month later...